Sign in to follow this  
MattX

SSD and photoreal scenery

Hello !

I've downloaded California and Arizona photoreal sceneries by BlueSky Sceneries. But for the moment my sceneries (due to their size) are installed on my hdd and fsx on my ssd. And I plan on buying a SSD to install more addons and sceneries. On my HDD the scenery looks a little blurry (see the picture) and my question is, this problem is because of the hdd and if yes, the ssd will correct it or not ?

Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/w3i7pYg

I have fsx and all my scenery now installed on my SSD, Matt

The biggest difference is the loading times are vastly improved - i.e. load flight.

I've done a lot of scenery with FSEarthtiles and my latest is a 2 gigabyte covering of the lake district.

Whist I have some room on my SSD, I transferred this scenery from my SSD to my old hard drive and it runs just the same from either (except the flight loads faster).

So the answer is that an SSD probably makes little if any difference to the way it actually runs and won't help with blurries. That concurs with what I had been reading and what I was expecting before the addition of the SSD.

If your scenery looks blurry (and Bluesky runs fine on my system) it's most likely to be lack of CPU grunt.  What CPU are you using and what speed is it running at?

Could also be your graphics card.  Which one do you have?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi cianpars, thanks for your answer.

I know that the loadings will be shorter, but this isn't what I want. And I have a i5-3570K@3.4GHz and a GTX 670 and my FSX is running smooth so I don't think this is because of my hardware. And when I pause my FSX and wait like 30s the textures become less blurry so I think that the textures take a "long" time to load on the hdd but on top of the mountains even if I wait the textures stay like this.

I have the same i5 on air running comfortably at 4.4Ghz. When I initially got it I ran at the stock speed but a friend convinced me that overclocking would do no harm. When I did there was a massive difference in FSX. You should consider it.

Hi MattX,

Your problem isn't SSD or HDD speed. My situation is similar to yours. FSX on the SSD and Blue Sky sceneries on the HDD. I don't have blurries on my old rig.

I think a lot is due to your FSX configuration. In this I can recommend the advices on Word Not Allowed's website. Can your problem be the LOD_RADIUS in your FSX.CFG? FSX standard is 4.5. But I have mine set to 7.5. But beware, it takes more VAS.

And how fast are you flying? BSS needs slow flying in my situation. If I fly a jet, it gets blurry too. The more because BSS advices slow flying operations. Then the scenery is great i.m.h.o.

I also noticed that the later BSS sceneries (i.e. Montana) are sharper than those of California. Newer technicues I guess.

Hope this makes any difference.

Ryzen5-2400G/RTX2080/RAM16Gb

God point Slowhand.  I set my LOD radius higher for that reason.  It really does make a difference with photoscenery.

Most systems seem OK with 6.5 although I often run at 7.5 or 8.5 though it seems to be a slight strain on my system.

Another thing worth trying is increasing the fiber rate time fraction.  Default is 0.33 I think, but it's worth trying 1.0 as an experiment (you may settle for something in between as 1.0 does have a performance impact for me).  It was using Tileproxy that made me realise the advantage of this (The Tileproxy increased FFTF to 1.5 if I remember correctly).

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Photoreal Scenery Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank you guys ! I thinked of the LOD RADIUS this morning and I'm going to try if it corrects it and I'm flying at max 250gs with the Duke B60. And for the OC of my CPU I want do to it but I need a new ventirad and tips because I don't know how to do it. :/

And I set my LOD R to 6.5 and it is running smooth, maybe I'll set it to 7.5 but i'm satisfied for the moment, thanks everybody !