Sign in to follow this  
rene_1st

PMDG 777 Pirated

If you download a pirated copy to just check it out, and then either hate it and remove it or remove it and buy the full working version, then I think the pirated software, though illegal, has done a good thing and prevented an unhappy customer or made a sale. 

Hi Kattz. I think it would be better to ask for demos than tryit-by-pirate (I'm trademarkinng that lol) If one has to look for a silver lining in the mass pirating situation then I think you've found the best one could come up with.

I do understand where you're coming from, but there are two things I've witnessed about that approach that annoy me.

1) Person who pirates comes to the developer's site asking for tech support. Then, eventually, paying customers have to jump through hoops and show real names, order numbers, private forums, etc...

2) Person who pirates gets all types of trojans and malware and warns folks about how the product isn't safe. You know, 'cause pirates always tell the truth about the product they put up for download. Amirite? Your friendly neighborhood pirate would never infect your machine on purpose...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

If you download a pirated copy to just check it out, and then either hate it and remove it or remove it and buy the full working version, then I think the pirated software, though illegal, has done a good thing and prevented an unhappy customer or made a sale. 

Fair enough, we disagree ... but I certainly don't want to spend time helping someone who has stolen software (and I know I have) ... theft is theft no matter what excuse one uses to dress it up ... and like you said it's illegal.  I'm glad AVSIM has zero tolerance towards it.

It's the long term consequences that we suffer today and tomorrow.  60% of the population steal software, 11% steal retail goods ... if the numbers were equal at 11% most developers (like myself) wouldn't have a big problem with it (acceptable lose).  But the numbers aren't equal and that 60% gets larger every year nothing is done about it as the apathy continues. 

Because of that number good honest people are being forced thru security hoops ... some security more effective than others and some more intrusive than others.  We've (my company) has recovered about 25% revenue by NOT being apathetic about our software theft - real  quantified numbers, not projections.

Mathijs (Aerosoft) has reported different results from his security process so obviously revenue recovery seems to respond differently in various client (end user) environments.  But for the here and now, my company will always continue the fight against piracy because that fight is working for us ... even just simple identification of the thief is often enough to recover or reduce it.

Cheers, Rob.

Piracy effects all of us who buy software.....Less revenue for the developer means less resources for them to develop new products.

Cheers

Martin

Hi, Rob,

I'm not endorsing the crime. It's just that it's so widespread that one almost has to look for the silver lining. I have to admit that it's pretty ballsy for someone with a pirated copy to ask for support.

After the initial post I looked up PMDG 777 and ngx on the internet, I was frankly blown away by the number of hits I got for pirated software. I really don't pay attention to that kind of stuff because I'm never looking for it.

I checked out some of the sites and I did notice something interesting. On many sites I read "please use this as a demo and if you like it, then support the developer and buy it".

Could be CYA language or intentionally meant. Don't know. It is still illegal. I'm sure it's probably hard to be a developer and see your work stolen and distributed.

Giving up on fighting the piracy battle is the worst thing anyone who cares about the future of software could do ... apathy solves nothing. The more the average person makes it a point to report violations, the harder it will be to make piracy "easy" for those without moralistic integrity (aka thieves).

Illegal is illegal, pirated is pirated - is illegal. What is so difficult to understand? Trying to minimize it or trying to justify it is bad for this hobby. Rob is spot on. Katz, the original poster, is also accurate here:

"I checked out some of the sites and I did notice something interesting. On many sites I read "please use this as a demo and if you like it, then support the developer and buy it".

Could be CYA language or intentionally meant. Don't know. It is still illegal. I'm sure it's probably hard to be a developer and see your work stolen and distributed."

CYA is a very accurate assessment. I suppose that is to make them seem / feel less guilty or what they are doing less illegal. Self justification. Piracy in any form is no better than being a thief and partaking of pirated material is no better than being a pickpocket.

Regards to all,

Mel

I use torrents to trade old time radio shows. It's a digital offshoot of the people who used to trade cassettes, Vinyl and other media containing these old shows. Most of these are abandoned by the networks, or their trading is allowed by those who do, like the old CBS Radio Mystery Theater from the 70s. We just arent allowed to sell them. I see a lot of things on these sites and am never shocked. I got to beta test a PC game that I know had a very VERY small user base, and it even showed up on 'the site'.

I think the people who do pirate things would think differently if they were trying to make a living on something and it showed up for free.

Im a 3D modeler and am still trying to figure out how so many people can afford Maya, 3DS max and Cinema4D to do hobbyist modeling. Especially those who say they 'use all three'.  Thousands of dollars right there. I use Blender.....it's what I can afford.

Same with FSX....i'm a freeware junky.

If he stole it then what he did is wrong but us ######in about it isnt going to change a thing. I will say I do like his ENB settings though. I understand what yal are doing but I believe this something Robert and the team at PMDG need to handle. So why don't yal put down the pitch forks and torches and just shoot Robert an email with a link to the video. Chances are this is just some kid.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

If he stole it then what he did is wrong but us ######in about it isnt going to change a thing. I will say I do like his ENB settings though. I understand what yal are doing but I believe this something Robert and the team at PMDG need to handle. So why don't yal put down the pitch forks and torches and just shoot Robert an email with a link to the video. Chances are this is just some kid.

Yes!, the ENB settings are very nice indeed. 

C'mon ppl really? this post is like saying "I can't believe that the Cartel's murder people on the street". There are more pirated copies than original copies of the T7, I swear 

On behalf of PMDG, I am shutting this thread down. There is no justification for pirating, period. Condoning it in the AVSIM forums is a violation of our ToS' and we will not react positively to any rationalization the does serve to condone. Make sure you read our ToS' again.