Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Leaving for Vietnam and Cambodia SUNDAY!

Well, my trip is fast approaching.  Leaving for Vietnam on Korean Air....Airbus 380....Prestige Class, on Sunday at 2:00 in the afternoon from JFK.  Seems like it goes over the Polar Cap down through Siberia and China onto Seoul, South Korea.  Stay there for 2 hours and on to Hanoi on a 777 for about 4 hours.   Long flight, but there are 2 bars with couches and this class has seats that go to 180 degrees into a bed.  Cost of upgrade is around $10.000 (round trip)  but for an 18 hour flight, it seems worth it for my Wife and me.

I look forward to reading the forum here, but won't be flying (simming) obviously.  Should be a good trip, and quite exciting I'm told.

Stan

ps.  the upgrade is my only expense.  My entire trip is being paid for by a Manufacturer with whom I do business.  Hotels,flight, and meals are paid for in advance.  Just so you know I'm not going overboard on this trip.  Otherwise....the upgrade would be a problem.

Best of luck Stan, hope you and your wife have a trip of a lifetime, enjoy every minute. I look forward to a trip report on your return.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

You got it, Stephen.  Should be quite enlightening.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Stan

Look forward to the trip report as well!

I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience  B)

Bert

Bon Voyage, Stan. You'll enjoy the A380. I flew it on Emirates, economy ofcourse.

See if you can write up a blog as I'm sure you will get wi-fi somewhere, even maybe on board, in Prestige Class.

Good Luck.

I would have bought a Jetmax and watched some travel vids for the destination :P

But wifey might not appreciate that. Living in Thailand I made a lot of trips to Cambo for visa extensions and you will love it once you adjust to the 3rd worldness. You must see the "killing fields" it will remain with you for ever...

ZORAN

Sounds fantastic.  Vietnam and Cambodia are beautiful countries with really special, warm people.

...and the flying doesn't sound too bad either! :wink:

Enjoy it; you deserve it.

I’ve been to Vietnam almost 20 years ago

i was fortunate to be among the first 200 tourists

who reentered the country after the lockdown was place when Vietnam war was over

we backpacked from Hanoi to Saigon for three months

from the Mekong Delta to the golden triangle up north

i can tell you first hand; it’s one beautiful country

everywhere you looked it was just breath taking picture perfect

take a full raincoats from home; you will need them, it rains constantly on the dime with no warning (it’s not cold though)

Vietnamese are rather small people; and their cloths run one size

here's a fun fact i learned while I was there;

all the TokTok drivers (man pulled cart used for taxi there)

are condemned to be only taxi drivers for all eternity;

as their families cooperated with the invaders (U.S. army)

despite that fact; they are one of the warmest nations I’ve ever visited in; extremely friendly and inviting people

ooh, do not try to drink their local tea with the smoke pipe they serve you everywhere there, its opium!

Will be cancelling my Vietnam trip..  My Wife fell down the stairs in our home Wednesday night....she was bruised up quite badly.  Don't know if she passed out (low BP) or tripped.  She can't remember and seems to possibly have a concussion.  She was admitted to hospital yesterday.  I had to dial 911 because she passed out again yesterday morning.  Could be the result of concussion.  All tests being done and so far all good, but an 18 hour flight to the other side of the world will have to be postponed. 

Some times things are just meant to be, I suppose.

Stan

Oh my Stan! I will definitely keep her in my prayers for a full recovery.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery! Hope you get to do your trip sometime later.

Best thoughts for a speedy recovery towards your wife. Hope the insurance covered you for any trip losses, and maybe you can re-sched at a later date.

Hats off to you for being so philosophical about such an unforeseen event.

My thoughts are with you and your wife Stan. Life can play cruel tricks on us. I hope in the not too distant future you and your wife can take that trip and enjoy it even more.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

I was going to try to sim-duplicate your flight itinerary (in the same liveries).  I may still do so.

But I wish your wife a speedy and full recovery so that you may both once again plan for the trip of a lifetime!

Peace 

Praying for a full recovery for your wife Stan.   Sometimes these things put things in to perspective for us, on how much we value our loved ones.  As long as she's ok, that's all that matters.  I'm sorry for you about the trip though;  I hope you can still get to take it in the near future.