Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

Is PFPX worth the price?

Well, the PFPX is a little bit more customizable, including auto route building, fuel policies, scheduling, routing to alternate... But I feel the improvement is not worth the price.

At the other side, both programs are still missing some important features such as customizable cruise speed/CI per leg.

Without a shadow of a doubt, PFPX is a product I'd recommend to ANYONE flying payware/complex stuff. Such a great tool, and it makes your life so much easier! 

At the other side, both programs are still missing some important features such as customizable cruise speed/CI per leg.

PFPX allows you to customize your cruise CI/Speed for each flightplan. 

Aamir Thacker

But not for each leg of flight plan.

I do not understand what you mean by each leg of the flightplan...

If I do LHR-JFK-LHR, I can plan for LHR-JFK to be at CI25 and JFK-LHR to be at CI45..

I don't think you can break it down further for your CI varying over your route.. I don't even think real airlines do that, do they?

Aamir Thacker

Any opinions on PFPX?

It's something I use to plan all my 737 flights and compared to vRoute you don't have to rely on there being a plan for the route you want to fly. There are occasional sales which make it a bargain. Check PC Aviator any other sites for sales.

PFPX is enhanced with TopCat but you need to make sure TopCat has a profile for your aircraft. PMDG are well catered for. TopCat will load the payload and fuel and calculate take-off trim and vSpeeds. The two are a great combination but as a flight planner I am also very happy with PFPX.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I do not understand what you mean by each leg of the flightplan...

If I do LHR-JFK-LHR, I can plan for LHR-JFK to be at CI25 and JFK-LHR to be at CI45..

I don't think you can break it down further for your CI varying over your route.. I don't even think real airlines do that, do they?

For example: WP1 to WP5 = CI50. WP5 to WP8 = fixed cruise speed. WP8-WP10 = CI20

They do. Just look at what LIDO can do with flight plan and you will be amazed.

Take a look at Simbrief. While it's not quite as sophisticated as PFPX, it's does a lot of the same things. The price is right too. It's free.

NAX669.png

For example: WP1 to WP5 = CI50. WP5 to WP8 = fixed cruise speed. WP8-WP10 = CI20

They do. Just look at what LIDO can do with flight plan and you will be amazed.

PFPX can of course do that!

PFPX can of course do that!

Few months ago, I asked about that feature at this forum because I was interested to buy PFPX, but some guy told me that PFPX cannot do that. 

I used FSBuild until I got PFPX. I also use Simbrief, mainly for the Jetstream 4100, which is not supported in PFPX. Since Simbrief does not produce its own routes I sometimes use FSBuild to do that and then continue with Simbrief.

PFPX is certainly the best flight planner of these three programs. The map, validation of European routes, easy inclusion of Nat-tracks all set it apart. However, Simbrief is not so far behind, just a bit more inconvenient to use.

I would say, if your budget is tight stick to Simbrief, but if you want the best then get PFPX.

Cheers,

Peter

Few months ago, I asked about that feature at this forum because I was interested to buy PFPX, but some guy told me that PFPX cannot do that.

You can change altitude, cost index etc. around 10 times for a flight.

You can change altitude, cost index etc. around 10 times for a flight.

Simbrief does all that I need. Cant beat the price either!

How does SimBrief fund their service? Does it also include a weather aspect so the service can determine what SIDs and STARs should be assigned?

PFPX does and can. That makes a difference.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather