Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

Glass Cockpits are out!

Actually, I didn't notice anything that even suggested a full reversion to "steam technology" at all. In any case, there doesn't appear to be any great urgency to this directive, and frankly will likely be either rescinded or modified over the next few years.

In addition, apparently the only expressed concern is regarding the possibility of interference from WiFi, so wouldn't simply getting rid of WiFi be a less drastic and expensive "solution?" :rolleyes: 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think he posted it with tongue firmly planted in cheek....

Just imagine... a Dreamliner with Venturi tubes all over it! Ooof...

Eliminating WiFi would be the cheaper alternative. Of course, if passengers would just heed the FA's direction and turn their McDevices off when they're supposed to, instead of acting so arrogant about it... do as the FA asks, please!

:rolleyes:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I don't still see why some people feel the need to be "connected" 24 hours a day 7 days a week! Isn't there a rumour that the next generation of smart "so called" phones will come without an off switch?

Actually using them as phones seems to be the last thing on their minds.

I say smart "so called" because mine isn't although it is advertised as being. It constantly dials numbers randomly when it is in my top pocket. Maybe it dosn't like being so comfy. And if someone calls whilst it is charging then I'm the last to know! It never rings. I remember when phones were phones!

Actually, I didn't notice anything that even suggested a full reversion to "steam technology" at all. In any case, there doesn't appear to be any great urgency to this directive, and frankly will likely be either rescinded or modified over the next few years.

In addition, apparently the only expressed concern is regarding the possibility of interference from WiFi, so wouldn't simply getting rid of WiFi be a less drastic and expensive "solution?" :rolleyes:

The implication Bill is that perhaps "steam" is tad more reliable. It's certainly better at keeping the pilot in the loop!

Take flying to Innsbruck rwy08 for example. By the time you lot have spent 6 months programming your fmc's, steam requires one localisor, and 3 ndb's and mark I eyeball. Job done!

I think pilots want Wifi on EFB, but also putting in customer Wifi is a push.  Seems like this has been floating around since 2011.  I guess RTCA DO-160 (which I assume is controlling) didn't provide for enough testing at wifi freqs.

scott s.

I think pilots want Wifi on EFB

Never heard of it and I see no practical reasons for that.

I can understand that pilot's may want to have Data Link (XM/Sirius, etc) connectivity for their EFBs but that's not WiFi.

I'd love if planes went back to steam gauges but I also wish planes like the DC-6 and Lockheed Connie were still in mainline service

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I don't think any Connies are flying now. Maybe the Breitling one is still.

There are a few,breitling, that one in Australia, I think there is alteast one in the US as well, but there are none flying for airlines. Anyway. I love classic birds I've thought about trying to get hired at Buffalo or other like company to get some more DC-3 time or better yet C-46 or DC-6 time. The only thing stopping me is the winters.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.