Sign in to follow this  

ASN B5386 now available for P3D V2.4

Just a thought, might want to remove this option for P3D users given it's impact on performance (60% drop in FPS is pretty drastic).  Also, I don't think you need the cloud base offset any more for P3D users?

Yes, of course. As ASN for P3D official release is closing (remember we are still in open beta), we'll make sure all these things are properly adjusted.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Well seeing those vertical clouds again so not fixed - has to be 2.4 build

Yeah, not sure what to say about the Vertical clouds (they were present in v2.3 also - see my video on that - but seems to be a little more frequent in v2.4) ... based on my understanding of how clouds are displayed, I don't think they are "vertical" clouds in intent of the word ... "I think" they are clouds that simply aren't being correctly orientated to the current view port and/or is a by-product of other optimizations to clouds to encourage a more volumetric "feel".  

But problem was definitely in 2.3 as well as 2.4.  I can't recall if I saw it in 2.0 - 2.2?

Cheers, Rob.

Yeah, not sure what to say about the Vertical clouds

Thanks for the explanation Rob - must have got lucky in 2.3 as I really didnt see one of these and now all the time - is the 2.3 cloud file a workaround for now maybe ?

Ok I replaced 2.4 with 2.3 cloud file and minor stutter is gone and not seeing vertical cloud issue - one flight but seems better tried various weather themes so seems at first glance that the 2.4 cloud file does need to be looked at I think

Rich Sennett

Hot on the heels of yesterday's P3D 2.4 fix comes today's RC1 release, for both FSX and P3D. :smile:

http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?3502-ASN-SP1-OPEN-BETA-RC1-now-available!-FSX-and-P3D

RC2 (Build 5391) has now been posted. This build will probably be the same as ASN SP1 release version for P3d according to HiFi. This brings to a close a successful open beta period, which I wish that more 3rd party authors would offer.

But problem was definitely in 2.3 as well as 2.4.  I can't recall if I saw it in 2.0 - 2.2?

There's enough posts here and there on the internet that indicate to me that this bug was even present in FSX. My guess is that a combination of some code changes to cloud.fx in P3d 2.4 plus more realistic low-level stratus cloud textures (such as found in REX 4 Texture Direct) are making this issue more apparent. Flatter clouds would look far worse when incorrectly rotated 90 degrees than puffy clouds would.

I suppose that there is a possibility that this is a feature and not a bug that has been with us since FSX. Since the clouds in ESP are not volumetric, but rather a layering of adjacent sprites, it's at least remotely possible that ACES introduced a very low rate of occurrence of 90 degree flipped clouds, in order to give the bottoms of the lowest cloud layer a more irregular appearance. 

Have you played around with the advanced cloud settings in P3d 2.4 (without an external weather engine active) in order to see if this bug is more prevalent in the lowest cloud layer or is it common even if you manually create 5 or 7 cloud layers?

I have done my own weather and not noticed any vertical clouds ... also done some of the P3D weather themes and have not noticed any vertical clouds ... key being I haven't noticed (meaning they could be lurking and I just didn't see them).  

So far I've only seen them with weather engines.  However, it could very well be I just didn't hit the right combinations or settings of my custom weather such that I would see a vertical cloud.  Weather engines are probably more likely to hit the situation that triggers the vertical clouds since their coverage is much more detailed and accurate than any theme or something I could create with built in P3D weather.

Right now I'm running 5 cloud layers in ASN and cloud density set to Max in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

I have done my own weather and not noticed any vertical clouds ... also done some of the P3D weather themes and have not noticed any vertical clouds ... key being I haven't noticed (meaning they could be lurking and I just didn't see them).

Like some others I did not see them prior to 2.4 and this is only using my own weather [as you say they may have been lurking] but I do see them occasionally in 2.4. So it can and does happen with custom made themes. Maybe there is a greater chance of it occurring with certain combinations of density and cloud height, that weather engines are more likely to use.

Despite not seeing them in 2.0 - 2.3 I have seen them in FSX and therefore wonder if its because LM have pulled the distance at which clouds rotate to the viewpoint closer to the viewer... it seem we now have a system somewhere between FSX and what LM first implemented.

As a commercial pilot let me add something to the mix here.  When the accuracy of clouds and what breaking out looks like for those pilots that want to use a sim for a trainer and to log time, let me  give some perspective.  When I first started flying IFR it was in a airplane with a instrument instructor, he would make me wear a hat that had an overextended brim that would keep my focus on the instrument panel.  The way to look at instruments is very simple, you either see or you don't see the runway.  When you reach that number that on the approach plate has the letters DH, you may not descend below that number on the altimeter if you do not have the field in sight.  If you can see the field and as you are approaching you lose the field again, GO AROUND!  You don't try and fly the approach anymore, you just execute the missed approach procedures.  So while all the attention is being made on Prepar3D about cloud accuracy, why not worry other more important things like stability, VFR visual qualities, terrain accuracy, aircraft flight dynamics, or here is something crazy - airfields look like they are supposed to. When it comes to clouds and instruments, a professional pilot only cares that they can shoot the approach, they break out of clouds prior to Decision Height, and that they land safely - (Take offs are optional - Landings are always mandatory).