Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

a question about which mobo.

I plan on getting the i7-4790k LGA 1150

I want to put it into an ASUS Z97 mobo
but look at these two. They seem pretty much the same to me and yet one is considerably cheaper.
Which should I buy and why? and why the price dif.?

Thanks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813132125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813132118

Ciao!

Price difference is due mainly to the Republic of Gamers tag. With that tag comes extra cooling, heatsinks, etc. as well as additional software to boost performance (at least that's what they claim).

As far as hardware goes the expansion slots are different, the ROG board has only PCIe slots while the other also has PCI. The cheaper Z97 has 4 SATA ports as opposed to 8, and they have their own custom audio chipset onboard. Apart from that the difference physically is cosmetic.

Personally I think if all you will be doing is FS then the cheaper board should suffice, I don't see any significant difference to jump to the ROG board if it's all about FS. The memory and chipset spec are identical, and you have SATA III on both (and M.2, even). And if SLI is your thing, they both have that too. So, unless you do a bunch of other gaming to warrant the additional features, or you have need for 8 internal HDDs, I would go for the cheaper board if I were buying.

I have a rog maximus IV gene. The big difference is in the ease of overlocking. They all have presets available eg 4.2ghz,4.4ghz,4,6ghz.......so only one box to tick

In my case I only had to set 3 figures to get to 4.8GHZ

1. set 4.8

2. select XMP

3. select voltage

That's it. The only adjustment needed was upping the voltage until BSOD stopped.

ZORAN

Why not save a couple dollars and go with a MSI z97 gaming 7? They are great boards and awesome overclockers. (I was able to Oc my 4790k to 4.5ghz could go alot higher but don't need to on only 1.14v) ,great onboard sound,quality components, 12 phase power,awesome looks with cool lighting features. Its the best board I've ever used on a build and I've built 6 PC's.please consider this board I think its like $170 and is as good of a board if not better than the higher priced you selected.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

If you want Asus and are going to overclock, the RoG board is definately the way to go; consider that you'll also need a really good CPU cooler. If you're not going to OC, the RoG board may be overkill and the "A" board will be fine.  The price difference is due to the better power phases and other improved parts/design features on the RoG board.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I think I changed my mind and I've decided to spend a bit more and get the ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark I with the shields etc. 

In my previous build I had a sabertooth Z77 and I just loved that board.. so.. whats another $34 for FSX?

Ciao!

IMHO motherboards should be selected on features required these days.  Performance difference is miniscule and often the fastest boards are the cheapest, having fewer/simpler components.

Aesthetics ... another matter entirely,  and the OP is changing his mind to go for a 'blokey' board instead. 'Feel good' factor of ownership is very important however I am quite amused that most cases sold don't have windows and those that are still sit on the floor where it is difficult to view the motherboard in any event.  :lol:

Personally I'd spend the $34 on faster memory where the performance difference can be noticed ... just.

talk to me; what memory would you get?  I was planning on DDR3 1866

1866 is fine thats what I use and I get 30-35 FPS in the PMDG 777 at payware airports (Flightbeam KIAD) with heavy weather and rex clouds and nearly maxed sliders if that's any indication. I wouldn't go below 1866, but if you get faster ram your just wasting money as the only place that faster ram has the advantage is in benchmarks. It wont help with FPS.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

what memory would you get?

I went 8/2400 and applied XMP profile 12months ago. 477OK on MSI 45 Gaming.  The Haswell has excellent memory management and faster ram is well utilised.

It is fashionable these days to slot in 16Gb but unless you are into video/music/photography you will not utilise the extra capacity in simulations or other game playing. Support:-

//www.y--tube.com/watch?v=OrrTkbyjDHk (fill in the blanks!)

Best wishes Brian.