Sign in to follow this  
Jetset408

UPgrade to GTX780 = MASSIVE improvement!

Totally agree.... I run a 4770K at 4.0 + 770 and FSX runs like a dream :P

Bert

I've got a 970 running alongside a 4790k at 4.6ghz.

Runs beautifully (but still not perfectly) with bufferpools=0

Without it, it's awful. A real choppy mess over complicated airports.

BP=0 is totally unnecessary with that kind of hardware, in my experience.

Just leave the whole BP tweak out altogether B)

Weeeell, I have an over clocked (4,4 ghz) i7 4770K and a GTX 760. Without BP=0, FSX is relatively stuttery. I think affinity mask and buffer pools are the tweaks that allows you to get rid of stutters. It certainly cured my problems. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Weeeell, I have an over clocked (4,4 ghz) i7 4770K and a GTX 760. Without BP=0, FSX is relatively stuttery. I think affinity mask and buffer pools are the tweaks that allows you to get rid of stutters. It certainly cured my problems. 

Do you get perfectly smooth turns banking hard over high autogen and detailed airports?

My system is a 4790k@4.6 and a GTX 970. Normal turns are relatively stutter free but anything quite hard is quite stuttery. I'm talking constant stuttering though, not random big stutters.

I use Bufferpools 0 and Affinity 84 as I use HT.

Thanks.

Do you get perfectly smooth turns banking hard over high autogen and detailed airports?

My system is a 4790k@4.6 and a GTX 970. Normal turns are relatively stutter free but anything quite hard is quite stuttery. I'm talking constant stuttering though, not random big stutters.

I use Bufferpools 0 and Affinity 84 as I use HT.

Thanks.

Try getting rid of the affinity mask.  I'm still tweaking my new 4790K and 780 but so far I haven't seen a benefit to running a mask on my new system.  If anything I get lower fps with it.  I DID need 84 on my old cpu though.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Ok thanks will give it a shot but I think I have tried without although it was a while back and I wasn't documenting anything.

Hey I I bought an I7 4790k running at stock speeds just like you, and the gtx 660 non ti. have you tried flying in orbx northern California? and are you saying that if I were to buy the gtx 780 my fps would go up?

Hey I I bought an I7 4790k running at stock speeds just like you, and the gtx 660 non ti. have you tried flying in orbx northern California? and are you saying that if I were to buy the gtx 780 my fps would go up?

What kind of FPS are you getting right now?  What settings?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

In regular ftx global at verydense traffic at 16 i get 30 in any plane and weather. As soon as i get into northern california san francisco the fps drop to 24 and lower and thats unplayable to me. Even if i drop back the slider from very dense to normal the fps dont change which is weird. Have you flown in northern california?

In regular ftx global at verydense traffic at 16 i get 30 in any plane and weather. As soon as i get into northern california san francisco the fps drop to 24 and lower and thats unplayable to me. Even if i drop back the slider from very dense to normal the fps dont change which is weird. Have you flown in northern california?

Yep, it's definitely rough in that area.  Something to do with the autogen density on the large amount of urban tiles I believe and also maybe the windfarms. I usually run at very dense or extremely dense scenery complexity and normal autogen in those areas.  I have the same problem in FTX Global over downtown Los Angeles area since that is also a huge sea of urban textures.  You could be running into a wall with the 660 though if it's anything like my old 560 was.  It was not able to handle large amounts of the high res textures like that.  

First I would try to get your 4790K running at 4.4Ghz when running FSX (if it's not already).  The boost will be noticeable and should be pretty easy to get assuming you have better than stock cooling.  Are you running an affinity mask?  Also, I should note that I'm using DX10 mode with the Fixer utility so that could be another reason for the performance difference.  

However the 780 has double the memory bandwidth and over double the texture fill rate of a 660.  That doesn't even account for the huge difference in the processor design.  The 780 and 780Ti are basically slightly crippled Titan chips with a lot less RAM on board.  The 770 was just a faster 680.

Oh, I just realized I'm uncertain on something.  Do you have ORBX NorCal?  Or just the Global products and you're flying over NorCal areas?