Sign in to follow this  
jsd

New member questions

Hi All!

I used to use flightsim as a kid (fs2000) and have now decided to get back into flight simulators after a long break. My how things have changed!

So anyways, after doing a bit of reading i decided to spec up a new PC to run P3D (as FSX is now a dead horse) and i have a few questions before i get P3d

1. I have seen some videos on youtube with crazy graphics such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69eiUFVJ4CI&list=UUxBwCIwII9hehAOd5vxcZUA Is it realistic for an amateur to be able to reproduce this or is there alot of camera/recording trickery? (i know this particular example is fsx)

2. what would you recommend as the best addons for p3d to improve both graphics and physics realism? FTX global, REX and accufeel2 seem to be a recurring theme along with PMDG aircraft?

3. should all installs including p3d itself benefit from being on an SSD?

I dont want to spend loads of cash on extra software which will clog things up or are tricky to install. Do you even need any addons with the latest release of P3d?

Im hoping to get good performance, my system spec is:

i7 4790 OC to 4.5ghz

GTX 780Ti Graphics card

16GB 2133mhz RAM

which should be ample???

Finally what kinda hardware do you guys use stick/yoke wise?

Thanks in advance

You have a great system spec.

Whole system benefits from SSD, and you will experience slightly better loading times if you put your sim at SSD.

You can achieve that camera angles at videoclip with EZDock addon. I do not know if it's available for p3d, as the videoclip is from FSX.

For stick/yoke, I believe most of simmers here prefer saitek and CH products, or you can go with some HOTAS if you want more flexibility, such as thrustmaster warthog.

You need addons as every sim is just a base at which you build other modules as you wish. Content that comes with base sims is limited and it's there just to show what an engine is capable of, while addon developers push the engine and your PC to the max, trying to achieve realism and good visuals. So you just consider your sim as an operating system which needs a lot of tools for any work.

Keep in mind that PMDG products are not available for p3d yet and when they release, it will be considerably more expensive than for FSX.

Thanks for the quick reply....any idea when pmdg will have the p3d licence? why would it be more expensive?

Welcome back jsd!

2. what would you recommend as the best addons for p3d to improve both graphics and physics realism? FTX global, REX and accufeel2 seem to be a recurring theme along with PMDG aircraft?

3. should all installs including p3d itself benefit from being on an SSD?

I dont want to spend loads of cash on extra software which will clog things up or are tricky to install. Do you even need any addons with the latest release of P3d?

1. Don't know. Not got into posting vids yet.

2: FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC (if you're in Europe). Freeware HDE clouds - don't waste your money on REX unless you just want pretty pictures IMO. ActiveSkyNext is a MUST. Accufeel not required but nice for added tyre squeals etc.

3: Yup SSD keeps loading times to a minimum. No defragmenting required.

At a push you can easily just get away with FTX Global Vector and ASN if you want to keep the costs down. I wouldn't spend money on FS Global Mesh. Plenty of freeware mesh available and good quality HD payware mesh for individual countries. If you're flying high in PMDG style airliners you're not going to notice the extra detail anyway IMO.

Hope this helps.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Finally what kinda hardware do you guys use stick/yoke wise?

Kinda hard to tell on this page

aint it..???

...since some idiot decided to quell that info from the column at the left for quick comparisons....

After 30+ years of different inputs....I bit the bullet and I have a my adored Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog set....my last Joy/throttle...till I die.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Thanks for the feedback guys

i spec'd my pc pretty much based on advice from Nickn's fsx bible which i found on google. Are you familiar with this document? does the advice hold true for P3d? i.e more CPU than GPU intensive, cant make use of multi core CPU or multiple GPU's?

Also what is all this talk of FPS? that is just how smooth it runs? is this determined by CPU, GPU or RAM? what is considered a good FPS? 50/60 is what regular TV functions at i believe, so what would be the advantage of increasing it beyond that?

Also what is all this talk of FPS? that is just how smooth it runs? is this determined by CPU, GPU or RAM? what is considered a good FPS? 50/60 is what regular TV functions at i believe, so what would be the advantage of increasing it beyond that?

That's very sensitive topic. Generally, FPS is just how much frames per second is displayed at your monitor. For fluid motion depiction, at least 20fps is required. Of course, more is better, and you want as much as you can achieve with your hardware, but it's a matter of compromise between high FPS and good visuals.

Modern TV and video production is broadcast in wide range of fps, depending on technology, region and standard used. It's not quite comparable with fps in modern games.