Sign in to follow this  
davjg

New X-Plane Member

Hi

I been flying FSX as long as I can remember. X-Plane 10 is driving me crazy and I dont know what I am doing. Here is some of the questions I have:

1. Mouse - When I move my mouse at the top of the screen, it has become difficult to click on anything. I have to click it like 5 time for it to work. What am I missing here?

2. I have no idea where to start, such as "must have" to get me going.

I definitely want to take advantage of the 64 bit rather than 32 bit. I downloaded X-Plane 10 from steam with a 10.30 version. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

David

For the menu bar, you need to hover over it and then it will let you click. As for add ons, look in this thread: forum.avsim.net/topic/429465-x-plane-10-add-on-resources-freeware-and-payware/

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Hello David,

You should start by reading the Wiki for X-Plane (Google is your friend).

Stephane

vpa055.png

Start with SkyMAXX Pro here:

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/skymaxx-p-101.html

Also, if you are interested in other planes then get what suits you,  LES (Sabb 340A) and/or Javier Rollon (CRJ-200 & Jetstream 32) just to name a few, I guarantee you wont regret it, get them also at X-Aviation

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/xplane-aircraft-c-21.html

Anything from X-Aviation is top quality with no doubt.

Coming from FSX I'm sure you are already familiar with Carenado.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Welcome,

don't give up when you meet the unfinished corners the first time... There are a few, you'll miss stuff from FSX, but at the same time, you'll have a smooth experience waiting for you, and many great, free, add-ons, as well as payware of course :-)

There is also that great ease with which you install / uninstall X-Plane itself, and add-ons, with the few exceptions that require activation and some plugins running for the add-on to be usable, but even those are easy to live with.

Above all, you'll miss the buildings at airports we find in FSX default or P3D. X-Plane's airport world is mostly naked, and although this is changing, and there are many available airport sceneries (  check this and other sources to find them ), it is still somehow disappointing, specially for someone coming from FSX.

With scenery from the archives ate AVSIM, FLIGHTSIM and SIMHEAVEN.COM ( lot's of great stuff ) you'll easily fill your default naked X-Plane World!

Don't expect X-Plane's weather rendering to beat what you have in FSX. There are some good points about it, but IMO it stands behind what the best add-on and even freeware alternatives provide in FSX / P3D. And the visibility blur is something you'll also have to find way to live with, while one of the next updates doesn't introduce a planned fix for that.

On the very positive side, there's an active team behind the project, even if we do not always agree with the course they chose...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Another thing worth mentioning is that you can have both on your computer - FSX and XPX.  I have flown flight simulators for many years and was a loyal fan of FSX.  Still am, but I find myself going back less and less.  The fluidity of XPX and the fact that I fly instead of constantly making programming adjustments is a great benefit.  Also, If you don't like the airports - even the free ones which are downloadable - you can build your own - within certain limitations - with WED. With it, you can design your hometown airport to look just (or almost) like what you would see there - and there is some satisfaction at being able to do so. Chances are, you fly out of that airport most of the time and you can build or download others as you extend your horizons.

There is a huge learning curve with the transition form FSX to XPX, but if this 71 year old can figure it out, I'm sure you can too.  How do I know you are much younger???   Steam - go figure!

Take your time - go back and fly FSX when you want - and you will learn to admire XPX for what it is... and that's a lot.

John

John Wingold

Hello Guys

I want to say thank you for helping me go in the right direction. I have to be honest with you, X-Plane 10 was getting me frustrated, that because I am trying to use it like FSX. The mouse clicking is annoying, I used Tom suggestion by hovering it which is much better than before, no idea why they cant make as easily as anything else by a simple click. I hope to grow to like it more and more, and that will be in due time of course. Jcomm, thank you for the link, I thought it was awesome how you can see everything and learn what out there, especially for me. 

Again, I wish to thank all of you for your help and suggestion, it was encouraging for to me to stick around and get help.

David

As for high altitude blur ground in the distance ,it'll be "fixed*" in something like 10.35 or so.

*Mind that this is not a bug , it's how it was designed mainly when 32bit was the only platform avilable to save memory

Like both fsx and Xplane. I fly basic ga planes and love reading in forums and online about differences between fsx and xplane compared to real life. Got basic FAA manual to read about basic aircraft safety and operation. Mainly a scenery and basic how ga aircrafts feel. Install both is my advice and Xplane scenery in WP2XP is great thing Tony working on and HD mesh ailpilox worked on. Xplane is the future for me while fsx is my go to for seasonal and flying certain aircraft xplane has not release yet.

As for high altitude blur ground in the distance ,it'll be "fixed*" in something like 10.35 or so.

*Mind that this is not a bug , it's how it was designed mainly when 32bit was the only platform avilable to save memory

Where did you read that it will be fixed in 10.35 or so? I have heard before that the distance blur would be fixed in 10.30, but no it didnt

don't give up when you meet the unfinished corners the first time... 

I agree

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Where did you read that it will be fixed in 10.35 or so? I have heard before that the distance blur would be fixed in 10.30, but no it didnt

on the xplane blog. it was  stated that they ran into a few issues with it and since 10.30 was so big they had to release it later. i believe it will come before 2015

Hi 

I have been growing more to dislike it than enjoying x-plane. There one thing I wont put up with is something that should be more simple than a simple mouse click. I have to click it like 3-4 time to get it to work, forget it.

Click

Hi 

I have been growing more to dislike it than enjoying x-plane. There one thing I wont put up with is something that should be more simple than a simple mouse click. I have to click it like 3-4 time to get it to work, forget it.

Click what 3 or 4 times? If it's the menu you mentioned earlier then it's not a problem that others report or I have ever experienced which leads me to wonder why you do.

Hello User72

This is why I cant figure why I have to click it 3-4 time. Its anything I want to click on, it isnt working. The main menu and in the aircraft, I am not sure why. I might have to re-download again from steam.

David