Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Try your hand at some BLIZZARD flying today!

Guest ScottPilot

April 10, 2005Hello all!Well, I live in Colorado Springs, CO and we are having a very large blizzard here today. Visibility is 1/4 mile in heavy, wet, blowing snow with wind around 45 knots gusting to over 60 knots.All the major highways are closed and it is pretty amazing to watch!So fire up FS and your favorite weather program, and do some flying from Denver (KDEN), Colorado Springs (KCOS), Limon (KLIC), or Peublo (KPUB), and see how you can handle the weather!I just check the local ATIS at Colorado Springs and the visibility is 1/4 mile in blowing snow and freezing fog, with an indefinate ceiling of 100 overcast. So get reay for those missed approaches and holds!The blizzard warning is in effect until 6:00am on Monday, April 11.Happy simming! (Glad to not be flying for real today in Colorado!)Scott :-)ATP/CFII/DA20 Type Rated - Instructor Pilot - USAFA (KAFF), Colorado Springs, CO & at KCOSAOPA #00956593, since 1987Background in Corporate, Airline, and General Aviation

I am not flying out of KDEN today, but am flying out to Frankfurt on UAL 932 from KIAD. UAL 932 orginates in KDEN and it has been cancelled. The equipment was supposed to be a 777-2 international configuration and now I am wondering what impact this will have on my departure from KIAD. Hopefully they'll get alternative equipment in for the trans-atlantic. :)

Guest kingairvols

Thank you for the heads up. Just a thought, why not host a multi-player sim session and show us around the state in the effeted areas from the storm? I guess the resorts that planned to close around the middle of this month may stay open a bit lomger? I enjoy KTEX and the surrounding corner of the state in the sim, (and real life too.) Any heads ups to some really tighr airports that are hammered by this storm? Thanks.

Guest Edam

Landing at KDEN from Aspen was pretty exciting.

Hey Tom:If you get to KIAD early and you are bored, lemme know and I will pick you up for a beer or six before your flight. I am only about 7 miles from the terminal.You can call at 703-400-6063. I also think my brother-in-law may be flying today so if he is around, I can arrange a tour of the crew room.Mike T.

Today with all of its ulta moderen equipment at KDEN, the airport was open, but the airlines did not want to fly. At one time only a single runway was capable of landings and takeoffs and that was getting dicey.United and Frontier closed everything down. Tom your 772 is siting right now on the B Concourse with tons of wet snow on it. I have two friends that have to be at work at 4AM to start getting those guys ready to fly in the morning. Right at this moment 11:30pm it is still snowing wet nasty snow. Of all the days that my PMDG 738 happens to be in Oslo, Norway (yuck). But I did spend the day flying from London to Oslo while I watched all this nasty stuff out my window, only went out today to walk the dog and he was not happy about that either (smile)This is spring in the Rockies, every year, it was 65 yesterday and will be the same on Thrusday, go figure.Bob

Thanks Mike. I got to KIAD okay, and 932 went as scheduled. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the forums until today, two days later. Maybe next time.