Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone. 

Last couple of days i've wanted to upgrade my hardware but been told by almost everyone that I should just overclock what I had already. To be honest the reason i havent done so already is because i've been scared of doing it (i know my basics in computers but im not a pro) Now i've been reading a lot on overclocking and im getting more keen on doing it so to start off i've just ordered a Hyper 212 Evo cooler. 

My pc specs is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, (socket 1155 LGA) @ 3.30GHz

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3, Sandy bridge 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

If you need more specs to help me please let me know. 

My target would be 4.2 or even .5 if possible, after reading on various forums it seems like i could just go to my BIOS and change the multiplier to 42 without touching my volts, is that correct? 

If anyone has some knowledge on overclocking or even have the same mobo/cpu as mine any form of help would be really appreciated :)

Here's a couple places to check out. A simple google search is all it took. You can compare the settings between the various users and try it out. It's pretty simple.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1326074/overclock-i5-2500k-gigabyte-z68ap-d3

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18375640

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

some motherboards have a simple "turbo" option that will provide automatic overclocking based on cpu requirements, ie, games.

Look at your motherboard manual and see what options it provides.

I have an I5 and it overclocks anywhere from 3.2 to 3.8 automatically---as it's needed.

tc

@Dave ill take a look at it, thank you :) 

@Flyforever, mine has that enabled aswell and I can see in my intel tuning that it has been up to 3.7 at some point. but I would like to go above 4 maybe even 4.5 :)

Thanks for your help so far

I'm about to OC my build

AI Overclock Tuner: XMP

Turbo Ratio: By All Cores

By All Cores: 44

Internal PLL OverVoltage:

Mem Freq: XMP Default

EPU Power Saving: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration:

VRM Freq:

Phase Control:

Duty Contorl:

CPU Manual Voltage: 1.3V

DRAM Voltage: XMP Default

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU C States: Disabled

EIST: Disabled

SVID Support: Disabled

System Agent Voltage: 0.4V

My specs -

Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max

ASUS® Z87-A GTX 780

Vernon Howells

With my current board which is similar to yours OP (Z68A D3-B3) I simply increased the Turbo multiplier for each core from 37 to 44, on my 2500k, so I get a boost to 4.4ghz. I don't want my CPU running constantly at 4.4 and have had no trouble going from an idle speed of 1.6ghz to 4.4ghz when under load. I left voltage control on auto and upped the mulipiers one or two steps at a time, testing at each step.

I've been running it this way since getting this set-up some three years ago, and have no issues with my sims or games... I know some prefer to run at a constant speed, but as I say, I've not encountered any downsides.

Sorry mine is set at 42. I'm not clued up on this, those were the settings i got with my build. Sometimes i use asus optimal

Vernon Howells

Again, some turbo options allow you to set the maximum OC. If your motherboard does not have those options, then the best thing to do is to go to overclocking specific sites and look up your particular motherboard to see what and how others have done it.

tc

I ran an i5 2500k @ 4.8 constantly for the past 3+ years before just updating to a 4790k @ 4.8   Seems my chips like 4.8 :)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg