Sign in to follow this  
nat49

virtual memory

I keep running out of virtual memory  when flying usually a hour into a flight pc specs below 

asus  x552c

cpu intel i5-3337u, 1.8ghz

memory 6GB

HDD 750GB

OS Windows 8 

What addons? Any LOD tweaks?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Virtual Memory or Virtual Address Space? They are two very different things. Is the error you get an Out Of Memory (OOM)? If so it's VAS not VM.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

A couple suggestions that worked for me..but this is the golden question and results are different for everyone.

1)Definitely check out CTD guide

http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/65-avsim-crash-to-desktop-guide-for-fsx-p3d-fs9/

2) Word Not Allowed's Tweaks -- Definitly work picking and choosing what works best.

http://#####.wordpress.com

3) Microsoft Process Explorer program is highly recommended since it will give you a good look at how much VAS you are using realtime.

i have no ideia 

how do i find out not that good with computers 

What does the error message say?

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I keep running out of virtual memory when flying usually a hour into a flight pc specs below

What aircraft were you flying? A default?

Agree in part with I_jayma above except, of course, for the Word Not Allowed tweaks. High settings are the main cause of OOM's and Word Not Allowed's guide has high settings (he may have lowered them since a couple of years ago but I remember even he was experiencing OOM's and had to lower the settings in his guide). Tweaks are bad too for FSX. Word Not Allowed has a good guide but, again, be careful with the tweaks and settings. AVSIM has a good FSX Configuration Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots that should work for most computer systems. We suggest you try those settings instead.

As you can see, your notebook is on the lower end of current notebook CPU's - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3337U+%40+1.80GHz. So your settings really cannot be too high until you upgrade your notebook or purchase a desktop. Even individuals like me who own a really high end computer (i7 4770K w/780GTX video card) has to be careful with settings as it is easy to run out of virtual address memory (VAS). Here's how you can monitor VAS:

Monitoring VAS in FSX or P3DV2 – The freeware or registered versions of the FSUIPC utility will allow you to monitor the amount of VAS remaining during a flight session. This might be valuable in troubleshooting Out-of-Memory (OOM’s).

Startup FSX/P3D and then enter the Addon Menu and select FSUIPC. Once FSUIPC is open, click on the Logging Tab and enter 024C under Offset and select S32 under Type. Select where you would like to have the usage displayed. The FS Window is for Full Screen sessions. The FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode. AVSIM recommends you also check the Normal log file as this provides you information on how much VAS you had to start out with and then it logs usage throughout your flight.

The VAS usage is displayed in Kilobytes (KB’s). The value represents the amount of VAS left so, the lower the value, the more VAS being depleted. The max amount of VAS allowed in computers with 64 bit Operating Systems is 4GB’s. This is shared with other applications running in the background on your computer. For 32 bit Operating Systems, the max amount of VAS allowed for FSX/P3D is 2GB’s but this can be expanded to 3GB’s with a switch like the /3GB switch.

To convert the KB’s to the amount of GB’s, you should use one of the Byte converters on the Internet like the following: http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/byteconverter.htm. You will never see 4194304 KB’s displayed as this equals 4GB’s. You might see around 3GB’s (3145728) remaining when you first start up FSX/P3D but that would be unusual. Do not be too concerned with the amount of VAS remaining when you first start up.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10