Sign in to follow this  
brubros

What can we do about Flightsim vendors that give industry a bad name?

So I have a question.

I have had a really bad experience with a flight simulator developer called FSGenesis (www.FSGenesis.com). FSGenesis is a maker of terrain mesh. In 2009 the company offered a lifetime membership where, for a fee, a customer could have rights to download all current and future terrain mesh products from FSGenesis. We were almost begged to buy the membership because the owner stated he needed the cash infusion and that we would be helping him out so a lot of us pitched in to help. Then they introduced something called NEXTMap products a few years later that involved another vendor's license terms so we were told we would have to pay for the NEXTMap product but would still have access to all other products and we just had to accept that.

Then the web site now reports that they have changed their computer system and have no record of any previous purchases and even if you can prove your past purchases they will not honor them. I know because I submitted a detailed accounting of my purchases to them and received a form letter back and no credit for my purchase of NEXTMap products and lifetime membership.

So my question is, how do we protect the flight simulator community from such bad apples? I submitted a Better Business Bureau complaint but I don't know how to alert my fellow flight simmers. I don't think people would want to buy from a company that has historically treated their customers so incredibly poorly. Outside of posting here where can I be sure that others know the experience I (and a bunch of other lifetime members) are having? Is there a Yelp for flight simulator vendors? 

Actually, there is a rather lengthy post on the same subject in the FSX forum.  A number of us have similar issues with this vendor.  Do recognize that the company has changed hands and the new owner has a very different philosophy and attitude than Justin did.  Although the name is the same, the company is very different.  This, and the other major forums, are the closest we have to a Yelp and probably more effective.

DJ

Hi,

I feel your pain, I too am without any access to my lifetime membership... My response to FSGenesis, I no longer do business with them and anyone that asks about this company I steer them clear and tell them to look elsewhere.

Also: File a comlaint with the attorney generals office. Since the company FSGenesis is still in business maybe we should start a class action law suit.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Abt a year ago i bought several mesh's and had no problems, infact i had very good support to get a free world mesh that was on offer wen i bought.

At the time i did find the website a bit old fassioned and not the easyest to get around but no probs buying stuff. I wouldnt think twice about using again.

Yeah I've bailed on them too.  I thankfully have all of my stuff from them backed up in multiple places, but in my upcoming computer reinstall I'm just going to go buy the Pilots FTX edition FSGlobal mesh so I have one installer for the world instead of a ton of installers for different regions or even parts of regions and manual zip installs.  

What's really irritating is some of the last couple Next products Justin put out before selling FS Genesis were "pay what you feel is appropriate" since I was a galaxy member so I actually gave what I felt was a decent amount of $$$ for them to help out since I'd gotten all the nice mesh and updates over the years (my galaxy membership was from FS2004 days and now have the FSX stuff).  Then shortly after he sold off the company and I have access to nothing as others have noted.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I think posting here is the best way to alter customers of problem vendors.  I actually have a bunch of FSGenesis Mesh but just purchased them piecemeal and the mesh is good....although I realize now I have lost access to it on their servers (fortunately I have the original disks).

Just a comment about lifetime memberships....they always fail (always).

Remember - Lifetime membership to the video store ?

How about - Lifetime membership to the gym ?  (now banned where I live, btw.)

This is the in the same category.   

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I moved on to Pilots FSGlobal after it switched hands.  I asked repeatedly to restore my account and files (as they suggest doing in their FAQ).  Which they have never done.  I was going to get some of their NextMap stuff but the fact they did not take the time to restore my original account after moving hands told me they didn't want to keep me as a customer.

I'm perfectly happy with FSGlobal, just wish I went with them first.  On the other hand, the original owner was extremely response and helpful and even gave me a couple free addons for buying so much.  It's unfortunate the new owner does not take the same attitude.

Just a comment about lifetime memberships....they always fail (always).

Remember - Lifetime membership to the video store ?

How about - Lifetime membership to the gym ?  (now banned where I live, btw.)

True. But there IS a difference and this may be the root of the problem. The examples you cite all went out of business. Doors locked. End of story.

FS Genesis makes no representation that it has gone out of business. The only representation it is making is that, out of the blue, it will not honor lifetime memberships or prior purchases of any kind.

But you're right, caveat emptor.

I purchased products from them in 2013 and when I asked for back-up after a reformat last spring, I hit a stone-wall. However after several e-mails they asked me to send them my receipts for what I had purchased. A few days later I was able to download all the products I had previously purchased. In their e-mails they did mention they were not honoring the old companies lifetime memberships. This probably will annoy a lot of people but I feel they treated me well after checking my account. I did have to correspond with them for a while. I wish all success, best regards.....Ray

I bought a "Galaxy Membership" back in the FS2004 days, and over the years snagged everything Justin offered on CD. I actually got far, far more than I had paid for.

I am of course disappointed that the new owners won't honor "Galaxy Memberships" any longer, but then I also understand that that practice is actually what finally broke (pun intended) Justin's company.

You see, the "Galaxy Membership" was very popular. Common sense should tell anyone that at a certain point, new singleton sales are going to become fewer and fewer, as the majority are simply using their "GM" to get new stuff without further cost.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I seem to recall that at the time of this offer there were a number of threads discussing this issue and that the overall consensus was that this would end badly.

"Lifetime" memberships are a farce because the same applies as this simple question - "How long is a piece of string"?

The fundamental issue is that the new ownership demands invoices and invoice numbers for any download you want to replace and is unwilling or unable to understand that no invoice was required for Galaxy members.  He and I went through this drill and it was like talking to a wall.  So, no more from me (and I own every single item that Justin produced) and no recommendation either.

DJ

That is absolutely disgusting.  Shame on FSGenesis.   I'm sure if people had the means to raise a legal challenge on this, it would be succesful.

I have been looking at their products this week, as a replacement for my old FS Global 2008, but I will not be supporting of funding FSGenesis after reading the OPs experience.

It's disappointing they don't honor the agreements the company made under previous ownership.  I'm sure they have no obligation to do so.  I'll never use them again.  They got my money once.  As previously pointed out in the post, the best we can do is post our views and hope others read it.

Mike

Mike Franks

I had a Galaxy membership years ago for FS2004. In Dec 2011, when I was looking at getting back into simming with FSX, I sent Justin an email asking if my Life Membership was still valid as it had been a few years. This is the reply:

"Hi Bill,

Yes, it’s still good (or else it wouldn’t be lifetime, would it? J)

On the login page there is thingy called Login Lookup.  Enter your email address in there and your username will appear, then enable the “Send password” radio button and click Login.  You’re password will be emailed.

Hope this helps

Thanks"

The email was signed by the original owner, whom we all know. Like an idiot I thought that in all fairness I should get another one so I did. So I have actually bought 2 Life Memberships lol. What a sucker....