Sign in to follow this  
Ripcord

Getting SIMCONNECT into P3D v2

SO I was running thru the steps from Rob A in the processing of doing the update to v2.4, and I realized that I had none of these simconnect files in my set up.

copy file SimConnect.cfg to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

copy file SimConnect.ini to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

copy file SimConnect.XML to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

So then I went back and did a bit of investigation and realized that P3D does not install these files. Some third party addon needs to install them.

My question here is how do I go about figuring out which addons need simconnect?

Sounds like A2A is one of the more common ones, but I don't have that. Active Sky Next seems to create its own connection.

Maybe some AI traffic programs use this?

I had the same issue. And I tried doing the installer and it just pops up for a second then disappears

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

It's a bit odd but afaik P3D SHOULD actually install SimConnect. I frequently reinstall my entire PC and also P3D and sometimes I need to install SimConnect myself (because without it TrackIR and A2A won't work) and sometimes I don't. It's odd. And afaik there is no easy way of knowing which addons need SimConnect: you just have to wait until something doesn't work as advertised.  ^_^ I simply always install the SP2 simconnect which comes with P3D (Prepared v2\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi). The SP1 is also somewhere in those folders but so far I didn't need to install that one.

copy file SimConnect.cfg to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

copy file SimConnect.ini to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

copy file SimConnect.XML to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Unless a 3rd party add-on created these files in  the first place, you will not even have copies of them. However, if you do have copies, they will be in your backup folders. If you followed the instructions and backed up each folder that Rob said to, then copy those 3 files back to the proper location from the appropriate backup folder.

SimConnect being installed or not has nothing to do with the presence or absence of those three files. They allow modification of the default SimConnect system parameters, which one rarely needs to do.

It's a bit odd but afaik P3D SHOULD actually install SimConnect. I frequently reinstall my entire PC and also P3D and sometimes I need to install SimConnect myself (because without it TrackIR and A2A won't work) and sometimes I don't. It's odd. And afaik there is no easy way of knowing which addons need SimConnect: you just have to wait until something doesn't work as advertised. ^_^ I simply always install the SP2 simconnect which comes with P3D (Prepared v2\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi). The SP1 is also somewhere in those folders but so far I didn't need to install that one.

there are alot of versions of simconnect

there are alot of versions of simconnect

Proabably, but I feel no need to install all of them. ^_^ So far I only need the SP2 version. Still, it is odd that P3D sometimes seems to install simconnect and sometimes not.

SimConnect being installed or not has nothing to do with the presence or absence of those three files. They allow modification of the default SimConnect system parameters, which one rarely needs to do.

OK, now here we might be getting somewhere. So you are saying that it is quite possible that I have, in fact, installed simconnect? How can I check this?

I have run this simconnect.msi file several times already -- the one found here: Prepared v2\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi

As somebody else observed, it just doesn't seem to do anything. I see now evidence anywhere, at least. Would be good to know that it is working.

BTW, one addon problem is the Captain Sim 777 that is clearly suffering in P3D from not having simconnect anywhere. It runs fine in FSX legacy mode but I'm missing landing year and panel guages when I load it up in normal P3D.

Search this folder and all its subfolders for "SimConnect.dll" (It may be hidden):

C:\Windows\WinSxS

Report back which versions are installed on your computer

Another method: Control Panel/Uninstall a program. Look for:   Microsoft ESP SimConnect Client v1.0.20.2

Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61242.0

Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61259.0

Do Not Delete them!

You may have one or all of them. I have all three on my system. As Prepar3d is based on the ESP version of Flight Simulator, I would expect this one should be there for Prepar3d. The other two are for FSX SP1 and SP2 if memory serves me well. I do also have FSX installed on my computer.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Search this folder and all its subfolders for "SimConnect.dll" (It may be hidden):

C:\Windows\WinSxS

Report back which versions are installed on your computer

Excellent advice, thank you. I have 4 of them installed. One is ESP.Simconnect and three other versions of SimConnect.

Another method: Control Panel/Uninstall a program. Look for:   Microsoft ESP SimConnect Client v1.0.20.2

Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61242.0

Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61259.0

Do Not Delete them!

You may have one or all of them. I have all three on my system. As Prepar3d is based on the ESP version of Flight Simulator, I would expect this one should be there for Prepar3d. The other two are for FSX SP1 and SP2 if memory serves me well. I do also have FSX installed on my computer.

Yes I have exactly these same 3 entries installed. Again, great advice, thank you.

It also occured to me earlier that I need SimConnect installed in order for FSDreamTeam Addon Manager to work. Mine works. So much have it in there somewhere.

I appreciate all the helpful responses, thanks guys!

As somebody else observed, it just doesn't seem to do anything.

So that's another way of knowing they are already installed! ^_^