Sign in to follow this  
neilhr

X-Plane crashes on startup

I loaded X-plane 10.30 a few days ago.

Then I bought the LES Saab 340. Having come from FS and PMDG aircraft, I was looking for something along those lines.

X-plane 'stops working' when I load it. The second time I try, it will give the option of loading default rendering options. If I select this, sometimes it will load up; sometimes it will crash.

I installed the latest drivers for my NVIDIA card, but it hasn't solved the problem.

I wanted to see if the problem was just when trying to load X-Plane with the Saab and if it would work better with default aircraft, but foolishly I unchecked the box on the Quickstartup screen, so now it will always try to load the Saab, and always crashes.

any thoughts gratefully received.....

What does your log file say? That normally tells you what the problem is and what is causing the crash.....

I was trying to copy and paste the problem details, but it won't do it.

when I get time to write it all down I will post it.

That's annoying, I've had it happen though not often. I usually delete the files from the prefs folder which I've found to solve things.

If you want to get the pre flight settings back (weather selection and time of day selection) scrap your preferences and let X-Plane build new ones.  This may also solve the crash on start up.

You'll find them in your Output/preferences folder.  DO NOT delete the folder.  Just the contents.  

Thanks, I  did that. X-Plane loaded up fine, with the default Avanti, a quick circuit revealed no problems. I will try it with Saab later.

OK, I had a good flight this afternoon, just using the default King Air. I must say I was impressed with the landscape, but most of all with the very fluid framerate.

After 19 years of MSFS, it is hard to get used to different protocols, i.e. learning new ways of doing things like tuning radios. But it will be worth it if I can solve some problems...

There seem to be a number of issues with my installation.

I installed PilotView since there doesn't seem to be a way in the basic X-plane setup of having set interior views, such as you get with FSX by pressing the 'A' key. Obviously for a complex addon plane like the Saab this is essential so I tried pilotview. The first time I set some preset views and saved them it worked. But next time I loaded X-plane & the Saab, the presets seemed to have been lost. Moreover, when I tried to move my 'head' about with the pilotview X, Y, Z etc keys, it didn't work - the view twitched, but didn;t move. Then it 'zoomed' me back to the pax cabin, and refused to move!

When I started X-plane tonight, I loaded the default Baron at Dublin airport. I then selected the LES Saab. Suddenly, I found myself in the Saab, about 10 000 feet over open countryside, with engines stopped & no systems! Bizzarely, when I went to outside view, the chocks and cones were still in position, flying in formation alongside me!!! Unable to lower flaps or gear, it was a hard landing. I suspect, something is amiss...

The Saab is an extremely complex, procedure level, plug in driven add on, and was designed to be started on the ground.  The chocks and cones were there because the aircraft was loaded in a Cold and Dark state.

Thanks for the replies

It sounds like I didn't explain the problem well.

I was on the ground, in the Baron, on the ramp, with engines shut down. I wanted to fly the Saab, so I selected that from the aircraft menu.

In MSFS this is possible, and in fact with some very complex add ons, like the PMDG J4100, it is the recommended method of loading the plane to avoid issues - rather than start by selecting the J41 from the startup menu, the recommendation from PMDG is to open the flight  with a simple default aircraft, then switch to the Jetstream. I wondered if a similar trick might solve some of the problems I've had so far with the Saab.

But the next thing is that the Saab appears, not on the ramp where the Baron was, but about 10 000 feet up in the air!

It looks to me this could be one of 2 things. It may be that X-plane doesn't like you changing planes, so the best way to fly the Saab (or any plane) would be to load it up from start. Or, it may be there are some problems in my installation, in which case I would be looking at a reinstall. I'm a bit reluctant at the latter, since I noticed when I downloaded the Saab, LES only give you 3 shots at downloading it.

I guess you could say I'm learning as I go.

X-Plane does not need to be loaded with a default aircraft to get the complex ones going.  

Once you download the Saab, the file is yours to keep safe on some kind of back up.  Only re-download it if you have some kind of a major crash that wipes all your files.

I've never heard of the Saab loading at 10 000 feet after loading a default aircraft.  That's a bit of a weird one.  

Try disabling all plugins, except Gizmo (the Saab needs that to run) in the plug in manager from the drop down menu in the sim.

Just an update to say that X-Plane has been performing well, and the Saab 340 as well.

In fact the view positioning and the ability to save viewpoints is very good indeed and I think better that FSX.

I had been trying to use Track IR, but had problems with Pilotview, but the flexibility of the built-in view positioning is so good I don't think I need it.

The checklists on the Saab, which take your view to the relevant part of the panel, is stunning - full marks to LES!

I do find tuning radios and turning knobs with a mouse drag is tricky - I miss the mouse wheel facility, though I notice Carenado's latest product for X-Plane will support this.

Thanks for all your help, folks!

I do find tuning radios and turning knobs with a mouse drag is tricky - I miss the mouse wheel facility, though I notice Carenado's latest product for X-Plane will support this.

Especially in this plane. The official statement a few days ago improvements in the navigation in the next update (no release date set) but not for the radios. But I hope that the ScrollWheel integration in ALL Carenados and in the FlighFactor A350 will be a SLIGHT incentive.

The Carenado B1900D doesn't really fear the Saab 340A.