Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Your best freeware scenery candidates.

Guest Darren Howie

I thought it might be a good idea to get everyones opinions of the best freeware scenery thats out there.Given just how great some of the freeware stuff thats available hopefully raising its profile can't hurt at all.I think detail and lack of FPS impact are the two main criteria as its no point having great detail without a supercomputer to generate an image.Here are my candidates.LIRF Rome Fiumicino by ISD project is amazing and they also do a great LIML scenery both with animated gates etc.EDDW Bremen by Oliver Pabst another amazing airport with animated gates,fuel trucks etc.Norway airports is a ripper addon with 40+ new airports and totally changes flying around one of the worlds more spectacular countries.UNNT Novosibirsk by Hawker and Sergey Andruhov is another incredible airport.All of these are light on FPS impact and great on detail which i think are the two main criteria for a good addon.Anyone else got some to add to the list.Darren

Anything by the Finnish Scenery Design (FISD) team is excellent.

Graeme Butler

I agree with the picks so far. All of them are VERY good. I will add George Grimshaw's Boston Logan scenery and Hellas Scenery Team's Athens Greece scenery to the list.

Guest tango_d

Anything by Holger Sandmann - This guy has done some truly amazing work !!RegardsEd

Chris Wilkes' Curacao scenery is top. NL2000 of course, even if it is a bit heavy around Schiphol with full PAI installed and all gates full :)There's a very nice addon for Caracas/Maiquettia (SVMI).

Guest ThrottleUp

This is a great topic and everyones replies will be of enormous help to us scenery-hunters :)You have all mentioned the goodies so far. I'd just like to add the FSGenesis freeware mesh for the entire USA - it has transformed my simming experience in that part of the world. Just do a search for Justin Tyme in the Avsim library and get it all!!!Also Stephen Rothlisberger's Global Terrain Mesh has given the FS9 world an excellent makeover. In mountainous areas the difference is HUGE! Those of you with hi-speed connections: I suggest you download the entire world (apart from areas you may already have hi-detail mesh of course) Remember to download the Terrain Map first so you can easily pick which files you need! Link: http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htmRespect due: Justin Tyme & Stephen Rothlisberger :)

Guest Boone

The recent La Palma scenery is outstanding. Created by a payware author - released as freeware.IFSD - Dublin, Cork, Waterford - A bit dated now but essential for flights to and from Ireland. Edinburgh Airport is incredibly well done.Portugal - Lisbon, another winner...There are so many!Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Guest jennifer

All the ISD sceneries for Italian Airports especially Fumincio.

Guest Darren Howie

Hi BrentI was but i am with Jetstar(A320) now.Nice replies of some stuff i havn't heard of before.Keep those good replies coming.Dazz

I've forgotten who did them, but there are two great freeware airports for the Seattle/vancouver area. CYCD Naniamo and KPWT Bremerton Intl. Both are great and I fly GA all the time to and from these airports in my sim.There is also a really good KTIW Tacoma Narrows Airport scenery for FS2002 that still works in FS2004 thats also very good.These airports along with my Georender payware for Strom, Sultan, Sky Harbor,Ranger Creek, Orcas Island and Diamond Point really make that area great, Not to mention good old Emma Field!Now somebody has to really get after KPAE and get it going too, though the default aint too bad!Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Tim

The new La Palma scenery by Pablo Rguez, Glez Bethencourt, Luis O. Bethencourt. Much better than the sim-wings payware offering!

Guest waltch

I agree with you guys, the ISD sceneries (Italy) are excellent.I also like Martin Strong's Bangkok scenery and also his other Thailand airports.Walter

Ok, did a little surfing of my scenery.cfg and the libs here and at fsim. Heres what I found thats definitely worth downloading if you like flying in the Western USA west and some selected others I like. These are mostly small to medium sized airports that are likely to have airliner and GA jet traffic, but a Cessna in the pattern is also normal. KMSO - Missoula Montana (flightsim - kmso_jy1.zip - John Young)CAT4 - Qualicum beach (avsim - qbv1_fs9.zip - Ken Peters)CAB5 - Bronson Creek (flightsim - bronsonc.zip - Frank Betts)KBOS - Boston Logan - (flightsim -boston04.zip -Geo. Grimshaw)KSNA - Orange County Airport - (flightsim - sna2004.zip - Shehryar Ansari) Look for the patch for this as well.)KPSP - Palm Springs (Avsim -psp2004.zip - Shehryar Ansari)CYWG - Winnepeg Airport (Avsim - cywg_v101.zip - Adam Bentley and David Madge)KJAC - Jackson Hole (Avsim - jksnhole04.zip - Dave Erickson)KASP - Aspen Colorado (Avsim - aspen04.zip - Dave Erickson)CCC4 - California Central Coast Scenery (Avsim - cccoast4.zip - Al Wheeler) Look for the patches as well to this.)Have funEric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg