Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Accuracy of the DA40?... also.. RXP?

Hi all -

I fly a DA40 - can anyone else who does comment on the accuracy/feel of the flight model?

Also, the one I fly has a GNS530/430 stack. I own the RealityXP set, and though I might not be able to get it into the panel, does anyone know of any issues using in in undocked windows?

thanks,

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I also fly a DA40 and recently purchased the DA40 from Alabeo.

All I can say is that I'm disappointed and might purchase the LionHeart's version tonight.

Here are my personal reasons, please note that the one I fly has the G1000 PFD, MFD and the Bendix/King AutoPilot with attitude preselect, with separate BARO.

• Looks outside - Plus
  • Looks inside - Plus
  • Sound outside - Minus
  • Sounds inside - Minus
  • Start up process - good
  • Panel switches - good
  • Lights - good
  • Checklist - missing - I use the real one from CheckMate, the numbers seem good.
  • Fuel consumptions when flying by the numbers  - good
  • Flying characristics without OpusFSX running - not so good, because you cannot see the vibrations, with OpusFSX and dynamic head movement much better.
  • Also, I have and still do, a hard time trying to setup my seating position. In the DA40 you seat low...I need a cushion in real life just to be able to see over the dash. I find myself leaning forward while taxing just to see the faded yellow lines. Trying to replicate this in the seem is a challenge.
  • Animations - ok  - A2A's C172 and Piper raised the bar really high, proper walk around, fuel and oil burn. Ability to load the plane, maintenance, etc.
  • Default GPS 430 - really bad.
  • Landing ground effect - seems good.
  • AutoPilot realistic - not good

So with all this said I'll give them a C+/B-, another thing is that it seems like all Alabeo planes fly the same.

Thanks,

Ray

p.s. I think you can only fit the 430(2) inside the panels. I own the RXP GNS530...so I was disappointed when I found I couldn't fit not even one.

Thanks very much Ray!

Looks like it'll be a pass for me right now....

I don't mind having the RXP stuff open in an undocked window, but need at least an accurate autopilot (KAP 140 or equivalent with BARO) I guess.

Strange, all the "review" videos... and nobody seems to follow the real checklist. One guy actually pulled the parking brake after lining up. Everybody seems to rotate at 80... -sigh-

Thanks again Ray - I really appreciate it.

Strange, all the "review" videos... and nobody seems to follow the real checklist.

You're right.  EVERY review should include a run through the checklist, a VFR flight out and an IFR flight back.  Otherwise, all their reviewing is looks and feel.  They need to be able to quantiably (and artistically) differentiate the airplanes.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

FYI...I would stay away from LionHeart's DA40. I'm sorry I purchased it.

If you want to practice stick with Alabeo DA40 for now, much better and realistic, expect for the things noted. That should tell you how bad LionHeart's is. Well maybe I should rephrase it, if it was 2008, then LionHeart would be ok.

And to top it off...no uninstaller :-(

Take Care,

Ray

Hi Guys-

Thanks for the input...

Gregg - well, I don't know if I'd say that every review should be as complete (for example, if the review covers something specifically other than that topic), but heck... the point you make about quantifiable numbers is right. Even people who may not have flown a reviewed aircraft in the real world will probably find the experience of using it in a sim a lot more enjoyable if they know it performs realistically.

Ray - thanks for the note. Looking very closely at Alabeo now.

Found this review, which seems to be a bit more serious:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4703/

Oddly, the reviewer, Bill Stack, says

"Pilots and flight simmers who prefer glass cockpits refer to analog instruments as "steam gauges," which is a pejorative term reflecting their disdain for what they consider outmoded."

I wholeheartedly disagree with his opinion that the term "steam gauges" is demeaning... I call them that, and I prefer them in many cases (though recently, I'm somewhat taken with the Aspen Evolution 1000).

For my purposes (IFR training), the numbers don't have to be exact. I'll be using the RealityXP 530/430 undocked on my other monitor, and except for I guess what might be "truncated" autopilot functionality, it looks like it may be a good alternative to the 2D dual-screen setup I currently use with panels created in FS Panel Studio and RXP "steam gauges". ;)

[edit] I also noticed that the fuel gauges in the screenshots are reading 21/21.. in reality the ones in the DA40 I fly hold a bit over 40, but the tank gauges actually top out at 17/17. This may be a limit of FSX though.

cheers

Andrew

To your original question, the FDE was done by Bernt Stolle so I would think that it would be excellent.  He's pretty amazing.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hmmm mines reads 20 per tank from Alabeo. Not sure if 39 is usable like in the real world.

Good luck Andrew and keep us posted.

-Ray

If you're practicing IFR do you use VOX ATC?

One thing that drives me crazy... and is typical of the poor quality control at Carenado / Alabeo... 

The parking brake is backwards.

When up, in the RELEASED position, the brakes are on. When down (the proper position for engaged) they are off. 

How does this kind of thing get through beta testing?? 

Eddie
KABQ

From the handbook of bad testing:

1) Avoid beta phase

2) skip if possible

3) if you have testers (why?!), don't listen

Great book btw, lots of typos though.

More seriously, did some of you drop them an email describing the issues? They seem to react when the complains are coming in and the items to fix don't seem that complicated.

Hey everyone -

Bought it. Haven't flown it too much, but pretty decent impression so far.

Hmmm mines reads 20 per tank from Alabeo. Not sure if 39 is usable like in the real world.

Good luck Andrew and keep us posted.

-Ray

If you're practicing IFR do you use VOX ATC?

Hi Ray - I haven't tried that. I'll look into it... is it decent for GA?

One thing that drives me crazy... and is typical of the poor quality control at Carenado / Alabeo... 

The parking brake is backwards.

When up, in the RELEASED position, the brakes are on. When down (the proper position for engaged) they are off. 

How does this kind of thing get through beta testing?? 

Hi haskell - the parking brake works properly for me on the DA40...

From the handbook of bad testing:

1) Avoid beta phase

2) skip if possible

3) if you have testers (why?!), don't listen

Great book btw, lots of typos though.

More seriously, did some of you drop them an email describing the issues? They seem to react when the complains are coming in and the items to fix don't seem that complicated.

CoolP - not too much to comment on yet - however, so far, this aircraft looks pretty well put together.

A few sound-related nitpicks:

1) I can't hear the fuel pump.

2) Flaps sound a little heavy in transit.

3) Stall horn is sad. Just like an electronic beeeeeeeep. (Can it be replaced?)

4) No prop cycle sounds. Hmmm....

Overall - sounds are a minus. Not a huge deal operationally, just would be nice to hear some better sounds.

Happy so far though.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, 

That's crazy that your brakes work properly. Every YouTube video I have seen has the logic backwards just like mine. 

In the RELEASED position the brakes are locked and in the LOCK position the brakes are released. Here is a video showing the issue. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2l9rqsu2rf4bgw/DA40.mp4?dl=0

Eddie
KABQ

Maybe I'll try a reinstall today.

I used Fraps. It's free but leaves a watermark. Paid version doesnt but in instances like these it's fine.

Eddie
KABQ