Sign in to follow this  
Aviator327

Autoland Problem

Just got the 737 NGX 3 days ago and an really impressed with this bird. I have watched numerous videos on youtube on how to Autoland. I have both Nav radios set to the ILS freq, both Autopilots are engaged. The speed brake is armed. Istablished inbound I moniter the PD, CMD is selected. Here s where the problem starts. Passing 1500' Land 3 does not illuminate.It stays at CMD. I must be missing an important step on setting up for Autoland. I was doing a flight from KATL to KMCO for the ILS17R at MCO. Any assistance would be appreciated.

make sure that you set the properly ILS frequency on the active side and that the airport has the ILS-landing facilities.

You probably have the fail passive setup selected in the options. This is the most common real-world setup. It's just how the airline buys the aircraft, as it is cheaper.

Does it still FLARE and RETARD? If so, then you're still doing an autoland, just the indications are a bit different for the fail passive and fail active planes.

Matt Cee

I think Flare and RETARD was armed but not sure. The problem is at touchdown the SPD brakes do not deploy even though the speed brake was armed. I also fly the Captainsim 757 and the LevelD767 and have no problem doing a Autoland with those aircraft. I flew 22 years for an airline in the RW before retiring in 2007.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Like Spin737 wrote you need to make certain that fail operative is selected to see LAND3 on the PFD. In the CDU select PMDG SETUP>AIRCRAFT>EQUIPMENT page 3. Make sure fail op is green and fail pass is white on line 5 under autoland.

pcubine, Thanks for replying. I will check the settings you describe in my FMC. I like your Sig. Yesterday, I installed a Fedex 737 livery. I also have the FedEx livery on my Majestic Q400. With reference to the FedEx logo do you see what I see?

If the plane lands, then your problem isn't with the autoland. If you have a Speedbrake problem, the issue is maybe your assignments.

Matt Cee

With reference to the FedEx logo do you see what I see?
No. What should I see?

You might want to take a look at my detailed ILS Auto land training video:

This is the third video in this ILS series but its the one with an actual auto land so I think you'd be most interested in seeing that one.

There are two prior videos that lay the ground work for actually flying an ILS and auto land, but as I said, this link will show you the actual auto land.

No. What should I see?

Look at the red EX closely and see if you see anything. Last night I found out why I wasn't getting a Land3. On another forum I found out you have to set the HGS panel also when setting the ILS freq. I haven't used the HUD display on approach so that is why I did not use the HSG panel. This morning I did a ILS 9R to KPHL and passing 1500' I got a Land 3 indication. Rollout and Flare was indicated. This time it worked. Thanks again for your help.

>On another forum I found out you have to set the HGS panel also when setting the ILS freq.

This is not true at all...you do not have to do anything to the HUD to get LAND3. I autoland and get LAND3 all the time and I never use the HUD. Something else must have kicked in on your system for you to get your LAND3 annunciation.

No. What should I see?

The arrow that's formed between the E and X that you can never un-see.

Kyle Rodgers

>On another forum I found out you have to set the HGS panel also when setting the ILS freq.

This is not true at all...you do not have to do anything to the HUD to get LAND3. I autoland and get LAND3 all the time and I never use the HUD. Something else must have kicked in on your system for you to get your LAND3 annunciation.

Thanks for the quick reply. The next approach I do I will bypass the HSG panel and set up for a Autoland. I was curious when they said to setup the HGS panel also.

I think it was a FedEx employee that desighed that logo and he got payed big bucks for it.

It's all about the k e r n i n g.

Matt Cee