Sign in to follow this  
megatransat

How to divert to an ALTN in the RTE 2 page?

I was wondering how do I divert to an ALTN airport in this scenario:

If i miss the approach at my destination more then 3 times due to severe weather and I want to divert. After I miss the approach, does the ATC assign me a sid? 

After he assigns me the sid, I fly my route, and Im assigned a star and I land at my ALTN. 

BUT....

In the provided tutorial:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/73486-pfpx-etops-pmdg777-part-2-flightdeck/

(download it to see it)

They type their route for ALTN in route 2 page but they type it in without a sid? And when you divert to an ALTN, for origin and destination airport you need to write your airport you failed to land at and your altn, but when they type in the normal origin and destination in the tutorial (egll and kbos) with the altn rte 2, you have to actually retype the route in if you want to divert to an ALTN because it automatically deletes everything if you write KBOS then KFJK(the altn). 

Whats the process of the route 2 page? 

Andrej, the actual 'what happens' is often different from what is planned when you must divert to alternative.  The simplist way to plan your flight to alternate using RTE2 is to go to RTE2 PG 1 and enter your origin and the alternate destination, then enter the planned route from the original destination to the alternate.  I usually do not include a SID or even a STAR but pick one or more navaids that I could self navigate the most direct route to the alternate in the event of lost communications.  What really happens is during approach before ATC approach controller hands you off to Tower you are given missed approach procedures and this might be as simple as heading altitude or 'as published' and frequency but it is critical information. On missed approach, ATC will vector you towards your alternate and hand you off to other ATC sectors as required. Remember this, if you have to divert then many  many others are also in the soup and trying to divert so assume that you will be following instructions and doing some holding.

I've never seen an air carrier make more than two attempts, in fact the second attempt should only be done if things are borderline like a ground fog.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

I'm not a real life pilot but I can't try to bring some info.

What you can read in the ETOPS regarding the page RTE 2 is quite specific to ETOPS ops. In that case you don't care about SID because the ETOPS alternate airports are enroute alternates. 

It means that you would divert to these alternate while enroute (and not during go around) if you have a failure and in that case you would fly the shortest route to the alternate as possible hence a direct route.

In the case of a divert to an alternate after a missed approach, I guess that you would better use the alternate page to select an alternate as your new destination, which would allow you to select a star and approach to that airport. Then the ATC would vector you to the star or the IAF of the approach (?).

For a destination alternate airport, that one would be close enough not to have to program a route in the FMC.

But there are plenty people here who would surely give a more accurate answer as it is only my "thought".

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

But what if I have my critical etops points and destinations in my rate 2 page, and I have a disconnunity then I have my destination and my alternate route from there. If I want to divert to I need to go to ALTN page or can I do it on rte 2 pg. And originally my route 2 pg is my real departure and arrival airport.so when I go to rte 2 page and want to divert to my altn, when I type in my altn destination and my airport I am diverting from, it resests my rte 2 route and I have to re type it.

Pfpx plans my altn route with a did and star let's say I fly a did and star

Can anyone explain the process and what I need to do if I want to divert to an ALTN and an ETOPS airport?

Why did you open up two threads....with slightly different titles.....about the same thing (diverting) ??

And why are you so obsessed with ROUTE 2 ???

I already told you in the othere thread what I use ROUTE 2 for.

I do not pre-program a route from my destination to my destination alternate and neither does anyone else in our company (as far as I have seen).

I suggest you do not worry about your destination alternate that much (other than checking the weather is ok there).

Just fly to your destination.

If you have to go missed approach and have to divert to your alternate you tell ATC this after you have performed the missed approach.

(they will ask you for your intentions anyway).

ATC will then give you an initial radar vector or something like proceed to waypoint XXXXX.

You put this on top in the legs page, execute, engage Lnav.

You are now on your way to your destination alternate.

If the alternate is close buy you would usually get a direct to IAF or a direct to a point on the STAR.

In FSX, when you fly without ATC you can do whatever you feel like.

Use the ALTERNATE page and select your alternate from the list. Use the Via OVERHEAD option and type the waypoint you are already going direct to in the box below that option line. Select Divert Now, execute. Your Route page will now have your alternate as destination.

You can now use the ARR page to select STARs and Approaches.

If the alternate is far away then you might get an airway to follow from ATC to your destination alternate.

In FSX, when you fly without ATC you would need to take a look at an enroute chart to find an appropriate airway.

You are going to need to intercept this airway, which is easy if you know how, but like everything, untill then it is pretty confusing ;-)

Take a look at PMDG777_FCOMv2 page 11.42.13 how to do that!

yes....a lot to do and look for.....since you are alone in FSX you will need the P (pause) key!

After you have intercepted that airway you use the ALTERNATE page again.

Again, use the divert Via OVERHEAD option and type the exit waypoint in the box under that option.

Select Divert Now, execute.......your ROUTE 1 page will now have a new destination.....(your alternate is your new destination).

You can now use the ARR page to select STARs and Approaches.

You can not use route 2 for all this.

Yes you could preprogram the airway to your alternate in there but you still need to intercept this airway somehow.

So you need to know how to make airway modifications and airway intercepts.

And you still need to use the ALTERNATE page because ROUTE 2 will still have your destination as eeeeh destination......

You can activate ROUTE 2 and it will make the airways active but you have to change the destination to your alternate either manually (overwrite on ROUTE page) or by using the ALTERNATE page.

Otherwise you will never get STARs and Approaches for your alternate!

Do yourself a favour, first practice all elements of ROUTE modifications and intercepts and do that with the manual to guide you.

Then practice how to use the ALTERNATE page.

When you understand how that all works..... then practice diverting!

This is not easy stuff when you are alone in the cockpit, talking to ATC, and trying to fly, and trying to manage fuel, and checking for weather, and talking to Cabin Crew and Pax, and the company etc etc.

It seems to me you are trying to do things you are not yet ready for......no shame in that.....just no fun in it either if it all becomes a stressfull experience!

Rob Robson