Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

Vintage Era FS World - circa 1920's to 1940's

Guest vintage_flyboy

Hello all,I personally prefer flying the classiscs. I was wondering if there were any scenery packs, utilities or anything that would help me "recreate" the early years of flight. Specifically, I would like to alter the "major" airports so that they are less modern, and smaller as they would have been back in the day.Are there any packs or utilities that would help me recreat this era? Even if I have to do it myself, are there any utilities that will help in altering the airports to my liking.I'm sure that I am not the only one who is looking for something like this, so if it already hasn't been done, I would be more than happy to share any work I have done in this endeavour.Thank you kindly for any assistance any of you can provide.Sincerely,James.

The place to ask this (good) question is Tom Gibsons calclassic.com. Everything about vintage airliners is discussed there in those forums by very knowledgeable folks. That site specializes in propliners and the era between WW2 and the early 60's. If you want to go back further than that, then you may need to consult elsewhere though I think there are some golden age resources around. I've often wished I had two sets of scenery, once old and one new which I could hot swap. Im sure I could do that if I created a second scenery.cfg and just ran a batch file to swap.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I can't remember who produced them but I did download Brooklands, Croydon and Hendon airports in the UK, though they were late pre WWII. Try a seach.

Guest wildfire563

I don't know what you've found so far, but there are a few renditions of Roosevelt Field in NY for various time periods, including the time period you prefer, here at AVSIM.As far as tools for remodeling airports, you can start with SceneGenX/Airport for Windows (www.airportforwindows.com), and RWY12 and AFCAD2 here at avsim for general airport modeling (Runway/taxiway development and object placement), and GMAX which came with your distribution CD's for object development(i.e. hangars, etc.). AFCAD2 is the easiest to use for editing Runways, but it doesn't allow you to place objects. I also haven't figured out how to place a picture behind the drawing to help draw, but I used a combination of FS, and SceneGenX and AFCAD2 to accomplish this. SceneGenX allows you to draw runways and Taxiways, too, but I find it to be very cumbersome for that task. It's great for placing objects, though RWY12 may prove even better (I haven't used it yet, but it is supposed to be the easiest to use).Regarding texture development to apply textures to the surfaces of your objects, I like DXTBmp for texture conversion to convert from whatever format to DXT bmps for FS. And I've been using Paintshop Pro for editing textures.You may want to also use Airport for Windows and SCASM as well, as there are many objects that are coded with the old methods available here at AVSIM and elsewhere. But the more objects you create or obtain in XML code the better off you will be as this is (for now, anyway) the direction FS is following.I think with the combination of these tools, perhaps some objects and macros you find here and elsewhere, and a lot of time, you'll be able to accomplish what you are looking for.Thomas Perry

Another good place is at Custom Classic http://windrfters.com/ PeterIntel Mobo D875PBZ with Intel CPU P4 3.20GHz2.0 Gig 333MHz DDR SDRAMAsus / NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 (Omega 1.6177) (Q) (256 MB)Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 19"CH Yoke and PedalsWindows XP SP2

Hi James,I also enjoy the vintage era and have found some extremely interesting planes and some scenery at http://www.windrfters.com/I believe this is Bill Lyon's site and includes all of his vintage aircraft as well as some interesting scenery. Bill's planes usually come with scenery of the planes era and overall are excellant. His Sikorsky flying boat (for example) has lots of great pre 1940 scenery in Hawaii and wonderfull AI aircraft flying there as well. Fun just to sit back and watch the old planes take off and land. By the way most of Bill's creations are about $12.50 US and are well worth it. The site also has some very good freeware planes and scenery.Have fun,

Guest vintage_flyboy

I will research all this when I get home from work in about 15 minutes! Thanks again!-James

Guest lemonadedrinker

Tom Gibson's site-www.calclassic.com -has whole packages of early prop ai aircraft and scenery for some of his favourite airports as well from roughly that era and coming up to the jet age. Great work I think.

Hi,Thanks for the plug, but to stay honest my stuff is from the 50's and 60's. Some may be useful for earlier eras, some will not.Also, the Old Hangar:http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/phoenixflightserv/index.htmlAnd it's forum:http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...topics&forum=20might be useful to you.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. Tom is right about his work being later! but it's too good to miss and you get to fly without gps and that makes things feel earlier. At DC-3 Airways there is a package of Beacons to download to simulate night flying all over the USA delivering the Mail, so that takes you back to another era as well. It would be great to roll back history and be able to choose the era you want to fly in- FS17 maybe.