Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Carenado to retrofit their old planes (GNS430 & Scroll Wheel)!

From the Carenado X-Plane Forum

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=80287

Carenado has released its first product on Steam: the Mooney M20J.  The goal is, to move all the Carenado products onto that platform, hopefully contributing to elevated interest in the X-Plane platform.

Since the old planes have to be revisited/adapted anyway, we will be integrating some of the more important features that have come to our newer planes recently, namely support for the new GNS430 (integrated into 3D panel, with 3D manipulators), and scroll wheel support. Other minor fixes and improvements may make their way into the planes as well, although the time we can spend on this update procedure is limited.   X-Plane 9 support will be dropped for this update.

So, starting with the Mooney, and making our way up to the latest plane, the planes will also eventually find their way to the Carenado site and resellers.  

Now, some resellers have been better than others at updating the files on their server and sending out customer notifications (X-Plane.org has been THE best), but we hope that we can quickly work out any problems that may arise, once the updates start becoming available.  

The hope is to release around one plane per week.  With 21 Carenado products currently on the market, getting them all out there will be a process of around half a year.  But having said that, especially the older planes may throw some significant curve balls our way, due to severely outdated source files and cumbersome authoring practices… so you may see some limitations in what can be implemented effectively in those old planes.   

The last time we had a drawn-out update procedure like this, was to introduce 64-bit support, and it ended up taking up quite a bit of time, brain space, frustration, and energy… which we would have otherwise used to develop new products and technologies.  No doubt we can expect something similar again in this case, although we will try our utmost to continue scheduled production.  

That is the exciting AND the frustrating thing about X-plane: it is still under active development.  That throws challenges our way, but they're also opportunities, which we hope to make the most of.

I don't think there's much overlap between Steam and the rest of the X-plane community… so if any of you users would feel inclined to jump into the conversation about this on the Steam forums, offer reviews, guidance, tips or support, or even welcome newcomers into the X-Plane forum world, it might contribute to more great things coming to X-Plane down the road.

That's definitely going to give a new life to the whole Carenado collection !

Thanks Dan, way to go !

Pascal

Excellent news! It's easy enough to at least enable the new 2D GPS pop-up in Plane Maker, but to have it in the panel will be nice. Honestly, though, the addition of scroll wheel functionality is the best news!

Chris

Scroll wheel nice one less thing users will complain about from fsx land lol

I agree.  Scroll wheel in XPX is a big plus.

Scroll wheel nice one less thing users will complain about from fsx land lol

+1 Still gets me this one, and is still my main gripe.

I wonder who implemented the changes to allow scroll wheel support? i see Flight Factors A350 has it also. Did LR add something to alllow it?

I wonder who implemented the changes to allow scroll wheel support? i see Flight Factors A350 has it also. Did LR add something to alllow it?

No. The B1900D has a special plugin for that (it's also independent of SASL). The A350 will have its own solution as well.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

That special mouse wheel plugin is in a separate folder, it would be nice to use it in any plane, I wonder if is compatible.

Alexander Colka

Compatible or not, it's not allowed.  It's proprietary, and protected under Carenado licence.  Either way, there's a lot more to it than just the plugin.

Awesome! 

And I'll have to pay 5-9 dollars to get each of the updated installers from FSPilotShop.com.

:mellow:

They don't reset the count for new updates?

They don't reset the count for new updates?

Not automatically, if the purchase is over a year old. I certainly hope they will upon request. When appropriate, I will create a support ticket over there. 

Thanks for the head's up.

Compatible or not, it's not allowed.  It's proprietary, and protected under Carenado licence.  Either way, there's a lot more to it than just the plugin.

Thanks for the clarification.

Alexander Colka