Sign in to follow this  
Manny

P3D V2.4 clean full install help

Whelp! I am stuck in P3D V2.2

When I apply the patch for 2.3 I get CTD at the end of my flight load. I tried a whole of lot of things and it doesn't seem to work... It loads 99.99999% and then exits.  So I have copied over from my backed up 2.2 and recovered to 2.2

I have installed too may FSX aircrafts and FSX sceneries and made my P3D V2.2 work with them..I can't imagine doing a full reinstall so I am thinking of this strategy.. Would this work.

1. Rename my current P3D folder as TBD_P3D

2. Do a full install of P3D 2.4 (or P3d v2.3+patch for .4)

3. Re Install Orbx regions and airports etc (this is something I cannot avoid)

4. Since all my other sceneries are in a different drive..( I share scenries with FSX) just use the old scenery.cfg which points to those old scenery.

5. Maybe re install some of those Aerosoft Greek airports which modifies those autogen  files.

6. Copy over the airplane folders and the gauges folder from the old TBD_P3D folder into the new P3d to bring over the old aircrafts.

Would that work?

I know there were some airport bgls and other BGLs in the world/scenery folders I had removed etc to make some old sceneries from FS9 to work which I may lose.

Other than that any problems?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I never tried this myself. However, renaming the present P3D folder to whatever and installing P3D 2.4 afterwards calls for hassle. If you do so, all present registry entries (and, maybe, some files hidden somewhere in the Windows tree) remain intact, and installation of 2.4 will most probably not even start but request you to uninstall 2.3 first.

I was lucky with 2.3->2.4 but had to re-install former versions several times. It's a pest indeed, but I doubt you can circumvent it, unless you get the patched version somehow going. Did you indeed empty (shift the contents of) all the 4 directories in advance, as suggested? As a proof, I'd at least delete (move somewhere) prepar3d.cfg, exe.xml, and dll.xml, and delete the shader directory after applying the patch and retry. There are chances, this could already remove your CTDs and you could work forwards from that point.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Let me give it one more shot..I removed those four folders (after taking a backup) and re installing the 2.3 patch

Oh lord..it started FSX and did not CTD...But now I need to copy over my old DLL and EXE and what not and try again..

Manny

OK I managed to update it to 2.3 Woo hoo! :)

This this before I move to 2.4 

What I did different this time was I removed the sweet FX files.. not sure if that was the culprit 

Manny