Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

System to store and share files?

A friend of mine wants to setup a computer that other PC's (about 10) on a network could access to share and view files.  3 printers will be on it as well.

I guess it sounds like a network.  Networking isn't my strong point but I said I'd try it.

For starters I want and he prefers the connections to be hardwired.  Which means I'll need to buy a switch for his router as well.

1) What do people recommend I should do?  Just build/buy a boring PC with a few hard drives (is RAID 1 the best way to backup data?), create a shared folder with Win7 and go from there?

He wants to be able to have full control of files and the other computers would only have read only privelages.  Seems like advanced sharing in Win7 can do this.

He also already tried cloud storage ie Dropbox type setups and it didn't work.  Some of the files are quite large I guess.  But mainly they will be documents that needed revisions.

It's basically a small business.

2) Also should I run synergy+ and share the KB/mouse between his main pc and this one using an extra monitor or should I just setup a new pc with the usual peripherals?

3) Cost is an issue.  Obviously there are more advanced solutions like IBM blade but those are expensive  He wanted to keep the costs under 1000 USD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

edit:  Doing some quick research, would a NAS be something that would work here?  Can a NAS work on a switch/router combo?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Any ideas?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Heya Ryan, 

A NAS device would definitely fit the bill. I just did a simple search for NAS on Frys.com and all kinds of stuff pops up, ranging from single non-RAID devices in the hundreds ($) to full-on 8-bay drive enclosures. And they would pop right into an existing Ethernet network. Just pick one that fits the balance between cost and features. I recommend a bit of research on CNET to find a good vendor.

One of these days I plan on building a music server, and it will have a NAS RAID filer for storage.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Thanks yep I'm pretty much set on a NAS

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |