Sign in to follow this  
acflyer

which sim is best ?

You may notice that people are avoiding answering the actual question. That's very wise of them, since the subject can be a sore point with some, and is pretty much practically begging for flames.......

To the OP:

This question is very subjective and you will not be able to get a straight answer out of people on this forum. You can certainly find an answer but you will have to read and research for yourself. Subjectivity will be based solely on how you use the simulator; I will run through why subjectivity really matters with the most popular sims.

P3D v2: This sim is liked due to the constant updates from LM, many addon developers have jumped on the band wagon and provide some great 3rd party stuff which takes advantages of the sims more modern "coding".

XPX: The only 64bit offering and one which is multi core and multi processor aware. Wonderful 3rd party devs have given us "PMDG" quality aircraft such as the Saab 340.

FSX: PMDG pretty much rule this platform and thus the guys that like to fly the PMDG heavies swear buy it.

FS9: A lot of 3rd party freeware has been and continues to be developed for the platform, hardware has surpassed what the software can request and thus this sim doesn't suffer from hardware based issues.

The best advice myself and really the entire community can give you is to read, read, and read all of the forums within avsim as well as look at what you want out of the sim.

Just like HiFlyer said above, you won't get an answer out of any of us for a good reason.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

To the OP:

This question is very subjective and you will not be able to get a straight answer out of people on this forum. You can certainly find an answer but you will have to read and research for yourself. Subjectivity will be based solely on how you use the simulator; I will run through why subjectivity really matters with the most popular sims.

P3D v2: This sim is liked due to the constant updates from LM, many addon developers have jumped on the band wagon and provide some great 3rd party stuff which takes advantages of the sims more modern "coding".

XPX: The only 64bit offering and one which is multi core and multi processor aware. Wonderful 3rd party devs have given us "PMDG" quality aircraft such as the Saab 340.

FSX: PMDG pretty much rule this platform and thus the guys that like to fly the PMDG heavies swear buy it.

FS9: A lot of 3rd party freeware has been and continues to be developed for the platform, hardware has surpassed what the software can request and thus this sim doesn't suffer from hardware based issues.

The best advice myself and really the entire community can give you is to read, read, and read all of the forums within avsim as well as look at what you want out of the sim.

Just like HiFlyer said above, you won't get an answer out of any of us for a good reason.

Thank you, you wait long enough,you will get what you need.Well put ,and too the point answer. Thank you again !!

You may notice that people are avoiding answering the actual question. That's very wise of them, since the subject can be a sore point with some, and is pretty much practically begging for flames.......

i  guess i need a bigger bag of popcorn an more beer.Thank you for your answer.

To the OP:

I will check out XPX. Sounds like something to read about.

Lately, since Prepar3D v2.4 was released, I've been using it more and more. I only use FSX for PMDG at the moment,but that could change.

I have been thinking about buying X-Plane, lately, but it feels so much like starting at the bottom again, grrr.

PS. Commute Sim 2014 has had a few patches lately.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Butter that popcorn because it's time to break the ice.

FSX hands down for the addons available. P3DV2.4 is amazing, but without PMDG, FS2Crew, and some other key addons running with it, it's not at the same margin.

As for X-Plane, just pull up youtube and watch some videos of the Saab 340 or other high end addons. You'll see those flight dynamics in action and go "ugh." - at least I do. Anytime someone hand flies in X-plane, they OSCILATE up and down up and down. The pitch is never, EVER fluid in that game. It seems like people can't "not" porpoise the nose in that game under any circumstance. It just looks like a gimmick. But I've never played it, so you might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Here's a great video with a solid example of what I mean. Just watch the PFD during departure and climbout. Ugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_QAkHF_e0?t-19m24s

There. I've loaded the cannons and fired the warning shots. Let's see where this thread goes!

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I raise you on that one. P3D V2.4 is the best and its the only one with a money back satisfaction guarantee!

That's 60 days to try it and if you don't like it you can get a full refund. No.2 on my list is XPX and I will be giving it another shot this winter. FSX has been replaced by P3D V2.X no matter what Dove Tail or Microsoft try to tell you and yes you should stop investing in it.

Commute Sim 2014 exist nowhere except in this thread. :LMAO:

CommuteSim2014.png

Ok, to take this discussion in a completely different direction. What is the best rail simulator? 

NAX669.png

World of Subways Berlin

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Butter that popcorn because it's time to break the ice.

FSX hands down for the addons available. P3DV2.4 is amazing, but without PMDG, FS2Crew, and some other key addons running with it, it's not at the same margin.

As for X-Plane, just pull up youtube and watch some videos of the Saab 340 or other high end addons. You'll see those flight dynamics in action and go "ugh." - at least I do. Anytime someone hand flies in X-plane, they OSCILATE up and down up and down. The pitch is never, EVER fluid in that game. It seems like people can't "not" porpoise the nose in that game under any circumstance. It just looks like a gimmick. But I've never played it, so you might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Here's a great video with a solid example of what I mean. Just watch the PFD during departure and climbout. Ugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_QAkHF_e0?t-19m24s

There. I've loaded the cannons and fired the warning shots. Let's see where this thread goes!

Thank you !

I raise you on that one. P3D V2.4 is the best and its the only one with a money back satisfaction guarantee!

That's 60 days to try it and if you don't like it you can get a full refund. No.2 on my list is XPX and I will be giving it another shot this winter. FSX has been replaced by P3D V2.X no matter what Dove Tail or Microsoft try to tell you and yes you should stop investing in it.

Commute Sim 2014 exist nowhere except in this thread. :LMAO:

CommuteSim2014.png

Thank you

fsx seems to have the better graphics.maybe its the video's.How are the flight dynamics compared to fsx? i have some high end fsx aircraft,and the flight dynamics,flight engines are excellent(VRS , PMDG , CAP SIM , etc... )?

My favourite sim is Paper Planes 2.3 - just hours of fun there and unbeatable realism with wind gusts, downdrafts, turbulence all authentically simulated!!!

DCS A-10 easily has the best "flight physics" of any simulator, Level-D or otherwise. Paper Planes 2.3 is pretty solid. FSX/P3DV2 is somewhere behind the two.

I think the question is kind of open-ended and depends on what you like to simulate. When you say "Which is the best?" I tend to think "The best at what?"

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

P3d 2.4 raises the bar in graphics,but I get a CTD about 90% of the time. FSX is my go to for PMDG flights. At my age, not looking forward to migrating to another sim. X plane? Ha!

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

tumblr_mf7buknkLf1rmpz8qo1_500_zpsdfba24

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

NONE

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I am still running my rig from 2009 with FSX and all the ORBX goodies. The NGX runs flawlessly on my system and has just over 1800hrs on the 7377 with only a few (hangs or crashes) over the last 5 years.

I am not going to change a thing until my system packs it in. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I keep my FS rig offline and only do updates via. Jumpdrive from a seperate laptop. I think this has helped keep my rig as stable as it has been over the years.