Sign in to follow this  
sanh

Here's why you are not enjoing P3D

I have been reading the forums since P3D came out and I notice a particular pattern with people who are having problems with P3D or are not happy with P3D. Here are the reasons why you are not happy (if you are) and what you can do about it.

1. Problems upgrading xyz

Stop upgrading all the time! As soon as a patch for an add-on comes out people rush to install it. This is fine if the patch fixes an issue that has affected you directly or contains some new features you want - otherwise don't install it just yet!  Pretty much everyone was mostly happy with P3D 2.3 but as soon as 2.4 comes out people rushed into installing it and all their add-ons again. What bugs did the P3D patch fix? Nothing in the changelist affected me and I am sure many others. No new must-have features either? Stay with 2.3, at least for now and save yourself many hours of re-installs for no real gain that you could spend flying instead!

Its the same with other add-ons. I have not installed FTX Global 1.3. Have not really noticed any missing textures so why waste right now downloading 4GB and then potentially running into problems with other add-ons? I am still on a beta version of Active Sky Next. Why? I have seen the change lists up to SP1 and I have not seen anything that has affected me or any new features that are "must have right now".  The same goes for other add-ons I have.

The key point is - if you are not having any major problems then just fly! Don't keep upgrading with no tangible benefit and risk running into problems with bugs/issues in the new install. After a while, maybe a few months down the line, when you are a little bored with P3D, upgrade everything in one go and you have a new flight simulator to enjoy.

I rarely get the chance to fly (wife and 2 kids) but I reckon I spend more time flying then most people on the forums who spent too more time fiddling around with settings/installs/tweaks and little time actually flying.

2. Micro-stutters or stutters

Everyone has them every now and again! Unless its a slide-show, ignore them! If you can't - go back to 2004. There is no 100% stutter-free flight. The number of posts I have read of people having one or two micro-stutters in a flight and then spending days and days tweaking settings or trying miracle cures to try to remove them. Even if you manage to do it, P3D is such a delicate ecosystem, any new add-ons or upgrades will tip the balance and bring them back. Then you spend days and days repeating the process.

Basically my point is, just FLY! On my round the world flight I just landed in Paro, Bhutan in the middle of the night in my CoolSky DC9 and just about landed safely in an horrific location. The airport is surrounded by mountains right up to the airport fence and I had to execute a missed approach and do a 360 turn in total darkness to come back and land with repeated TERRAIN! TERRAIN! warnings in my ears.  Horrific stuff! People, you are missing out on some great stuff. Go out and fly!

I updated instantly, both P3D and add-on's (mainly FTXG1.3). My sim is now better than it was before and I'm very glad I did -  I spend as much time flying as time will allow.

Remember those with gripes, will make the most noise, and some like to make more noise than others. And if people want to waist time chasing down every frame, or lack of them, then that's their problem :P

I mostly agree with you.  I upgraded to 2.3 and held there.  I think a lot of people's thing with the stutters is that FSX has fewer and is smoother than their install of P3D.  That's the way it is for me on my computer and is one of the reasons I still, mostly, fly FSX.  (It's not the only reason...there are some airplanes and add-ons I use that aren't P3D compatible.)  I don't complain, just letting time work it out.  Someday I'll be able to uninstall FSX but, now, for the foreseeable future, it's still fun.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

64 bit X plane simmers seem to be the most content. Its almost like they keeping it a secret..

ZORAN

64 bit X plane simmers seem to be the most content. Its almost like they keeping it a secret..

Lol no.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I mostly agree with you.  I upgraded to 2.3 and held there.  I think a lot of people's thing with the stutters is that FSX has fewer and is smoother than their install of P3D.  That's the way it is for me on my computer and is one of the reasons I still, mostly, fly FSX.

I can't actually compare "like for like" here, because I used FSX on my old PC, and then upgraded to P3D when I purchased a new PC. However, my experience with P3D v2.3 and 2.4 is that (overall) P3D runs smoother, and suffers from fewer obvious stutters than FSX ever did.

I ran FSX on an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz/8GB DDR3-1600 RAM/1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti/Gigabyte Z68A-D3/Windows 7 64bit system, and I now run P3D on an i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz/16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GeForce GTX 770/Asus Z97-A/Windows 7 64bit powered system. A bit more powerful, but that power difference is (IMO) offset by the fact that P3D exhibits a wider range of graphics features (HDR lighting, VC shadows etc).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I ran FSX on an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz/8GB DDR3-1600 RAM/1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti/Gigabyte Z68A-D3/Windows 7 64bit system, and I now run P3D on an i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz/16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GeForce GTX 770/Asus Z97-A/Windows 7 64bit powered system. A bit more powerful, but that power difference is (IMO) offset by the fact that P3D exhibits a wider range of graphics features (HDR lighting, VC shadows etc).

Mine's apples to apples.  FSX and P3D are installed on their own identical SSDs.  FSX is on my C drive which also has my OS and virtual memory.   The P3D is pretty much by itself, all alone on its one drive with lots of space left.  P3D has some addons but fewer than FSX.  FSX is DX9 with ENB.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thats me Sanh...Will remember you advice the next time a upgrade comes out. B)

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Basically my point is, just FLY! On my round the world flight I just landed in Paro, Bhutan in the middle of the night in my CoolSky DC9 and just about landed safely in an horrific location. The airport is surrounded by mountains right up to the airport fence and I had to execute a missed approach and do a 360 turn in total darkness to come back and land with repeated TERRAIN! TERRAIN! warnings in my ears.  Horrific stuff! People, you are missing out on some great stuff. Go out and fly!

Something you cannot do in real life as it is a visual approach airport only!

Upgrading is a fever that is hard to cure.... especially when better faster prettier is always around the corner.. ... and LM are delivering!!

In consideration of those suffering ills from issues with updates... you have my condolences. But when I launch into p3d 2.4 armed with ASN, Rex, and orbx goodies, I don't walk away disappointed!

Sure there is room for improvement, but that's the best part, there is still allot to look forward to on the next upgrade 8-d.!!! In the meantime, there is so much to enjoy now.

Happy flying!

I can't keep up with all the patches and upgrades.  I found out there was one for my Flight1 - GNS a month after it was out.

I see that there is a fix/patch for Global 1.3.  Cripes d/led it...what is it 4 gigs.  I see there are lots of folks having issues with there scenery after the patch as it has some specific requirements for a successful install.  I haven't done it yet, not in a big hurry.

I went flying yesterday for two hours and didn't give a darn about the missing patches etc. So at one level I agree with you.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

it stutters period, because LM choose to use a false full screen window and not a true full screen that FSX has thus you cannot use NV to help eliminate the problem...from P3D

Like many I tried P3D I like P3D! but it just was too much re the stutters...just ruined it even with jut default aircraft and nothing and I mean nothing else added, so refund requested and back to FSX for my complex airline flying...

Will keep watching progress and like others will jump one day ...but not yet

all the best and enjoy what ever sim you fly........

it stutters period, because LM choose to use a false full screen window and not a true full screen that FSX has thus you cannot use NV to help eliminate the problem

If that's the case, then everyone should be experiencing stutters. So why am I not?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As far as upgrades go , all your vendors have our email. I is just flat good customer service to be able to let you know. Sorry, I have always believed that and will never change. They are all just lazy in my opinion. 

Bob

If that's the case, then everyone should be experiencing stutters. So why am I not?

I agree completely. Flaps15 - I accept it is not working for you but there are far more people running pseudo FS mode without problems. Your blanket assumption is totally incorrect EXCEPT as it applies to you. Ask yourself the question that I quoted above only turn it around - WHY is it not working for YOU and a few other folks?

As far as FSX goes - lets not forget that it's been almost 10 YEARS since FSX was released and we've all had the benefit of some exceptional people testing and finding tweaks that got it where it is today.

P3D is a baby in comparison and in so many ways is far superior to FSX right out of the box. Given the same amount of time to mature and we will have something exceptional.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors