Sign in to follow this  
sanh

Here's why you are not enjoing P3D

I realize that the P3D team understands that there are many individuals who probably use it for entertainment purposes, but my point still stands that P3D was not designed to be a game.  It has very specific real world applications that were at the core of its creation. That's a point that's really not up for debate as evidenced by the way the game has been licensed.  This is in contrast with FSX which was licensed as a game, but had the potential to be used for other training applications.  

I remember an online interview with one the LM staff when P3d 1.4 came out ages ago. His response about the license was that P3d was not going to be sold alongside consumer video games, either in retail stores or online. He continued that the rationale was that LM was not equipped to provide support to that type of audience.

LM corporate seems pretty proud of how P3d is being used:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/100years/stories/prepar3d.html

64 bit X plane simmers seem to be the most content. Its almost like they keeping it a secret..

lol...wrong!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Lol... LM are correct... Even more so than MSFT! Let's not forget it was MSFT who under the terms of FSX being for "entertainment ", thought the next logical upgrade would be "Flight ".... A total departure from everything that,made FSX suitable for training. Now flight is dead and prepar3d lives on..... Go figure.

lol...wrong!!!

Great if you like houses scattered about to look like towns but with grass streets! Or, zig zag shadows, or an airstrip masquerading as an international airport. It has its good points too but just doesn't have the level of add-ons that the MS and LM sims have. So the 64bit part of the equation is wasted.

Now flight is dead and prepar3d lives on..... Go figure.

Don't say that in the Flight forum. You'll be banned!!

Don't say that in the Flight forum. You'll be banned!!

Oh, never "banned..."

...tar-and-feathered or burned in effigy,  perhaps... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If that's the case, then everyone should be experiencing stutters. So why am I not?

Maybe you should explain lol

André

Re: Stutters in P3D? v2.4 runs fairly smoothly compared to v2.3, so first get v2.4.

1) If we try FSX with an application that runs a full screen window mode without caption and border, and switch between full-screen game mode and full-screen window mode, the barest of microstutter can be seen in windowed mode due to the strict vsync. P3D also shows this barely there microstutter due to only having a caption;less borderless fullscreen windows mode window. Faster refresh monitors are what's required for this "problem", a 120Hz display will half the stutter over a 60Hz display. 2) P3D has a far greater image content, and increasing the window size or adding screens is far more of a performance degrade than with FSX. Reduce those screen resolutions if stutter during banking is a problem.

Best

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Maybe you should explain lol

That would be a valid point.....if I was the only person not experiencing serious stutters in P3D.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I just went back to fsx dx10 with a fresh install. I could not believe how much smoother it was over p3d v2. Mainly because of the 1/2 refresh rate setting. I gave p3d a fair shot but there is still work to be done to eliminate the stutter issue. For those that claim u do not experience stutters I wish I knew your secret.

Matt Wilson

Totally eliminate the stutters is impossible, due to the impossibility of using the half refresh rate.
They can be mitigated by setting in P3D vsync on, triple buffering on, fps unlimited and reducing the options to keep the refresh rate of the monitor.

What I do not understand is why the blocking of fps makes the GPU to work less.

I don't suffer from serious stutters in P3D with Vsync off, triple buffering off, framerate limiter at 25, and rather high detail levels. Maybe my relatively low screen resolution of 1280x1024 makes an even bigger difference than I realise?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I don't suffer from serious stutters in P3D with Vsync off, triple buffering off, framerate limiter at 25, and rather high detail levels. Maybe my relatively low screen resolution of 1280x1024 makes an even bigger difference than I realise?

hello,

thank you very much because you made me realize one thing: P3D is a "lazy animal" that needs to be put under pressure.

I set all options to maximum (except for the traffic) and now I fly without any stutter with the FPS locked at 30.

Again, thank you.

I7 3770K with XMP profile, GTX Titan overclocked

What I do not understand is why the blocking of fps makes the GPU to work less.

With lower frame rates the gpu has more time to render each image before sending it to the screen. The stutters are if you like. "I'm sorry I haven't quite finished, you'll have to wait a moment". Or "I'm sorry I haven't the time to finish. You'll have to put up with what I give you"