Sign in to follow this  
belongedtoair

Orbx Global + Vector looks annoying :wacko:

Hi all.

I have both orbx global and vector and they look awesome. But I have a problem. When I installed the vector, the roads are messed up. For example;

Any ideas about that what do I have to do?

2vuhjpc.jpg

Hi all.

I have both orbx global and vector and they look awesome. But I have a problem. When I installed the vector, the roads are messed up. For example;

Any ideas about that what do I have to do?

2vuhjpc.jpg

I would say that is normal.

The roads to the left are images in the textures themselves. The roads to the right, criss crossing over the textures are the vector roads on another scenery layer and will cross over the base texture images as shown - there is no interaction between these two layers and it can look unsightly at times.

Daz

I only have global .. but I have noticed some roads with heavy traffic (traffic set to 100% e.g.) and many other roads with no traffic at all.

I think it is shown in your screenshot as well, as far as I can tell.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I'm not quite sure that understand the issue being raised in this thread, but I'll try to respond. FTX Global is just a collection of better looking  ("more realistic") ground textures. It uses the default  P3d landclass (LC) data and just paints on textures for cities, farms, forests, etc.. FTX Global Vector is a limited set of vector-based items like roads, coastlines, rivers etc and also some polygons like lakes and ponds. Now here's where the problems arise. What is needed additionally are two items that are for the most part unreleased by ORBX. They are FTX Global LC (which improves the landclass data with more accurate data, but is only available presently for Europe) and FTX Global Vector 1.20, which supposedly will use much more detailed vector data, especially for the US and Canada. Why the US and Canada? That's because both the US and Canadian federal governments make their land class and vector data readily available for third party use.

The default landclass and vector data in both P3d and FSX are so out of date (and also often inaccurate) that these kinds of conflicts occur even with the default P3d datasets. But since FTX Global Vector 1.15 (the present version) has somewhat improved data, the conflicts between it and the default landclass data (especially in urban areas) become more noticeable. The only resolution to these conflicts will come when both FTX Global LC for NA and FTX Global Vector 1.20 are both released. Then both sims will have up to date high resolution data that are derived from the same sources.

Now this sounds like a complicated mess, but in fact the problems are not all over the map, so to speak. The tend to be more common in certain urban areas that have experienced population growth in the last 20 to 30 years. 

I'm not quite sure that understand the issue being raised in this thread, but I'll try to respond. FTX Global is just a collection of better looking  ("more realistic") ground textures

Exactly - well said

Rich Sennett

I have been waiting for over a year for MY FTX vector TO BE Upgraded for North America, to match the accuracy of the road, shorelines, infrastructure, etc,etc..that has been available in UTXUSA for what? 10 years???

… Just saying...

Regards,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

The only resolution to these conflicts will come when both FTX Global LC for NA and FTX Global Vector 1.20 are both released.

I am sorry, but you are totally mistaken. When OpenLC NA has been released you will still see problems like the OP has. Heck, you will probably see even MORE problems because Vector is more detailed! Daz gave the right answer.

I own Global + OpenLC Europe + Vector and some parts of my home country haven't looked as ugly and messy as they do now because of the far more greater detail in waters which, along with the roads, totally destroy the Global textures because the roads and waters do not align at ALL with the textures.

Adding more detail in textures (Global and OpenLC) and Vector date doesn't necessarily mean things will look better. On the contrary. The possibility of things going havoc only become larger. Luckily (!!!) they DO look better in a lot of places but the problem the OP has will remain, even with OpenLC NA, and in some instances you really should expect an even worse mess, specially in (big) cities and where there are lots of little waters (like in my home country). That's just how it is and there is nothing Orbx can do about it.

I have to disagree. First of all, I was referring to North America. The problem in Europe, for example, is that there is not a high resolution orthoimagery database that has been converted consistently to LC and vector coverages. What you have is either GIS datasets for individual countries or in some cases Open Street Maps. OSM is much better than the default LC and vector data in FSX, but it still has a lot of inconsistencies, especially in urban areas. ORBX had no choice but to use BAD (Best Available Data).

Although Canada has similar GIS datasets that are readily available, here are the US versions, as an example:

1. Hydrography. Lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, wetlands and coastal shorelines:

http://nhd.usgs.gov/

2. Land Class.

http://www.mrlc.gov/

3. High resolution topography. Digital Elevation Models (DEMs):

http://ned.usgs.gov/ (Note: You want better terrain definition than what the various various "mesh" add-ons provide, here's the source.)

4. Roads, railroads, power line corridors, etc:

http://nationalmap.gov/transport.html

I've used these GIS coverages in ArcGIS are there are very few discrepancies.

In addition, texture data may introduce discrepancies on a very fine scale, just because of the way that the textures are painted on the LC. The only way to prevent that is to use photoscenery altogether. I should add here that another solution to these issues for large urban areas is to use XTreme Cities, which does a much better job than the ORBX products do of mimicking photoscenery in urban areas.

Even with improved landclass, the vector roads will have no correlation with the underlying ground textures and hence the same problems will occur.

The only way that vector roads will not cut over the base images of buildings, fields, other roads etc is if the ground textures were photoscenery whereby the base textures are of real life, acurately placed images and not generically generated textures 'based' on real life images.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Then both sims will have up to date high resolution data that are derived from the same sources.
-----------------------------------------------------

Very well stated, and succinct.

That says it all....

Mitch 

I have to disagree. First of all, I was referring to North America. The problem in Europe, for example, is that there is not a high resolution orthoimagery database that has been converted consistently to LC and vector coverages. What you have is either GIS datasets for individual countries or in some cases Open Street Maps. OSM is much better than the default LC and vector data in FSX, but it still has a lot of inconsistencies, especially in urban areas. ORBX had no choice but to use BAD (Best Available Data).

I've used these GIS coverages in ArcGIS are there are very few discrepancies.

In addition, texture data may introduce discrepancies on a very fine scale, just because of the way that the textures are painted on the LC. The only way to prevent that is to use photoscenery altogether. I should add here that another solution to these issues for large urban areas is to use XTreme Cities, which does a much better job than the ORBX products do of mimicking photoscenery in urban areas.

Having alternative choices in the FS marketplace for Add-ons which 'play nice with each other' is a generally a good thing, IMHO, especially when products are created by very experienced, meticulous, innovative, and cooperative developers.

It will be interesting to see how Stephan Schaefer of Pilots.de enhances the FSGlobal terrain mesh and related FTX-compatible vector world-coverage product lines over time.

BTW: Here's some info on "XTreme Cities For FSX" by Scenery Soutions aka Allen Kreisman (published via Flight1), renowned author of the ground-breaking Ultimate Terrain vector / land class / night lighting products for FS9 and FSX covering USA, Europe, and Caribbean / Central American areas:

http://www.scenerysolutions.com/XC_index.html

http://www.scenerysolutions.com/XCUSASouthCentral_FSX.html

Another interesting add-on development for FS is the more recent offerings of "PhotoGenESis" & "AutoGenESis" UK scenery from Darren & Vikki Vincent at Earth Simulations:

< NOTE: Have patience... this web site runs slow, AFAIK, while recovering from a recent 'hack attack' >

https://earthsimulations.com/

Happy Flying (...and shopping) ! :smile:

GaryGB

BTW: Here's some info on "XTreme Cities For FSX" by Scenery Soutions aka Allen Kreisman (published via Flight1), renowned author of the ground-breaking Ultimate Terrain vector / land class / night lighting products for FS9 and FSX covering USA, Europe, and Caribbean / Central American areas:

http://www.sceneryso...entral_FSX.html

Just as a followup on this post, here's some before and after screenies by the developer of "XTreme Cities For FSX" showing more "down-to-Earth" details on how this new scenery technology looks up close. :Idea:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/xtreme-cities-photoscenery-megascenery-sample_topic50067.html

Of incidental note is the developers statement that the existing Ultimate Terrain product line is being ported to the P3D platform.

I would speculate that we may also see some enhancement of those products when updated for P3D.

Hopefully other developers (like OrbX and  Pilots ?) when making new terrain scenery products, and when updating their existing products, will also consider using the methods such as we see in "XTreme Cities For FSX" product ...to achieve greater accuracy to the real world. :wink:

GaryGB