Sign in to follow this  
Guest panda234

Question on aircraft delivery

So how do they deliver the planes ?OK for the 747, A330, 767, no problem just fly them from the factory to anywhere in the world, but what about the short and medium range planes ? How do you get a Dash 8 from Bombardiers assembly plant in Montreal to the customer in Taiwan or Hawaii ? Just wondering.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest bones

Almost everything is flown to delivery - even GA aircraft. When Piper and Cessna were busy in the 1980's we'd get quite a lot of Cherokees and the like passing by us (UK) en route to mainland Europe after having crossed the pond. It must have been a long slog for the pilot!We don't see so many these days.boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Additional "ferry" tanks when required. Seats can be removed if needed. But then I have no specifics on the Dash 8; I just know what others have done.L.Adamson

Guest radarbeam

I read a story about a year ago about a crew delivering a Dash 8 to the Australian Coast Guard (I believe). The route was basically over the Atlantic trough Reklavik, then on to Europe, the Middle East and then to Australia. I remember the article said the crew tried out the Electronic equipment and they detected a submarine which apparently dived after being spotted.

Guest rmce

Remember talking to a 757 Captain (Britannia Airways) on the flight deck in the halycon days when you could go up front.The aircraft was brand new, an dhe told me that he had been to Seattle to collect it. What struck me as funny, and himself, was the fact that after test flight with Boing test pilot, (which was scary movie stuff as they showed how terrain warning is slaved to A/P by flying at the Rockies) he handed over the zillion dollar check and they gave him the keys!!Nice keys I have to say, but we started a hilarious imagine that we lost them chat!! Explain to the company that you dropped them down a drain!(lol)

Guest semm

The cabin becomes the fuel tank with a large bladder (or drums) to hold fuel to give endurance over water. I did a ferry flight from Guam to Papua New Guinea a few years back and we did the jouney non stop in a Twin Otter taking 8 hour and 5 minutes. It was a long flight becuase we didn't have an Auto Pilot and had to hand fly the Aeroplane. I did a Pilippines to Papua new Guinea in an Otter previous to this

Guest panda234

my dad was a fighter pilot. In the 50's he and his squadron went to Bagotville quebec and picked up brand new f86 sabres. They were based in europe, but had to fly them there. He got a key ring and a brand new airplane. They did the gander, greenland, iceland, england route. On the way into greenland weather happened but it was too late to turn back so they landed in 0 visibility, back in the days before gps. 2 of the aircraft ran out of fuel on the runway and had to be pushed off so the other guys could land. He says it was nuts, everyone was running out of gas and they couldn't see a thing and didn't know where they were. Big beer night that night.....billg

Just as a 'by-the-by'..... I once delivered half a dozen Cessna's to Australia when I was still going to sea. They were dissasembled in open-frame containers on our deck.As another, with regard to the fighter delivery post....When I was a kid, my dad was Chief CFI for the RNGSA. One of the guys who used to fly often was a retired RN admiral. In 1940 just as the war was getting started, the USN was in the process of adding catapults to some of its carriers. For training, they put one into the runway of a base in Florida, and the RN sent three experienced carrier pilots over on loan to the USN to give the training, my dads friend being one of them.They flew from Lee-On-Solent (Southern England for the Yanks here :-) ) to Florida (Southern US for the Brits :-) ) England-Scotland-Iceland-Greenland-Canada-US in single seat fighters.The tale has a funny twist though - when they arrived, the USN was freaked out about where to billet Dads friend. The USN was still segregated of course in those days, Dads friend was black, and the base had no black Officers quarters. In the end, the War Dept handed down a ruling that all British officers were white, regardless of what they looked like :-) He still, 25 years after the war, had his old USN ID card, with a space for Race, which listed him as "White (statutory)"Richard

Guest P3_Super_Bee
:-outta
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child