Sign in to follow this  
patrico

Problem with G/S

can anybody tell me why on an ILS approach my G/S does not come active even though the LOC does. The APP button is selected and the frequency is correct. This is a new problem for me as I have been flying this aircraft since launch day.

FYI I have recently on my FMC being in PMDG setup so may have clicked the wrong button along the line

This is a new problem for me as I have been flying this aircraft since launch day.

What airport?  What approach?  What scenery? (etc.)

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

Its only started recently at KJFK (scenery FS dreamteam)and my home airport EGKK which I have flown into hundreds of times (scenery UK2000)

Its only started recently at KJFK (scenery FS dreamteam)and my home airport EGKK which I have flown into hundreds of times (scenery UK2000)

Check the nav data versus the scenery to ensure they're using the same frequency.  When you use the FMC, to select an approach, it looks in its internal database to find and auto-tune the LOC frequency (which as a matched glideslope frequency that you never have to tune as a pilot - the plane/radio does it for you).  If the navdata says 110.10 but the scenery is using 111.30, then it's not going to work.  Granted, you wouldn't be getting a LOC indication, either, but on the 777 you might be confusing the LOC indication with the LNAV indication.  An easy way to tell you're receiving the radio frequency is to click on the NAV 1 audio button/knob down near the 3rd CDU.  If you click it, you should hear some morse code (it plays on a loop, so you may have to wait for a few seconds for it to play through).

Kyle Rodgers

could not find the Nav 1 audio button that you said was next to the third CDU any help ? Its 17.25 Zulu time hear now and I will try again at 0700 Zulu tomorrow morning.

could not find the Nav 1 audio button that you said was next to the third CDU any help ? Its 17.25 Zulu time hear now and I will try again at 0700 Zulu tomorrow morning.

My apologies - it actually has a different label.  It is immediately above the Weather Radar Panel, at the bottom left.  It has a label of VOR L/R ADF L/R (it defaults to VOR L, which is the one you need).  Just click the circular button with an arrow on it (to the right of that VOR/ADF knob) and it will activate the the radio ident function (which plays as morse code).  A yellow light will light up in between the rotary knob and the button you clicked.  Click the button again to turn it off when you're finished to avoid driving yourself nuts.

Kyle Rodgers

Also, if you are not within lateral range it's possible to see a live LOC but no GS, which has a narrower beam than the localizer even in MSFS. To test, start you Free Flight on the runway you are having problems with and manually tune the NAV RAD using the FMS or do this test with something like a Cessna.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi, Patrico,

You can also look in the FSX Map display.  Click on the airport and you should get a list of runways with ILS/LOC frequencies.  See if the frequency selected by your FMC is the same as what is showing on the FSX map. 

I use the EGKK UK2000 scenery often, and I would be very surprised if FSDreamteam has frequency errors as compared to the PMDG database.  But it's possible you have another AFCAD file somewhere for one of these airports that is overriding your installed scenery.  I believe some traffic programs install their own AFCAD files.  I suppose there's also a chance that one of these frequencies has changed since these two sceneries came out, and the FMC data is up to date but the scenery is not.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks guys I have done what you all said and its working now. Still do not know what it was I suspect pilot error which is weird  after quite  a  number of successful landings at various Airports,

FAO Kyle I found it, it was not that

Thanks guys I have done what you all said and its working now. Still do not know what it was I suspect pilot error which is weird after quite a number of successful landings at various Airports,

Hi, Patrico,

Please let everyone know how the problem was resolved, to benefit other users who might encounter the same problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2