Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

DX10 Water Colour - Does Steves Fixer 'fix' it?

Last time i tried DX10, the water colour was a horrible milky blue, especially in Orbx regions (SFO bay etc).

Does the payware fixer 'fix' this issue?

yes the are many options for water in the fixer If you dont have it yet you should try it out/

I got the fixer. Was dubious but so far so good. Water was my main concern. Its seems the fixer does indeed 'fix' it! 

Recently switched to DX10 and still working on tweaks but using the REX4 Dark-Default water textures in DX10 are the most realistic I've ever seen.  The same water set in DX9 was still way too blue....it now looks a nice dark blue like it does in real life.  Can't recall my reflection settings offhand as I know that makes a difference as well but I am liking what I see!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Im actually seeing regular FPS drops from 30 locked to 24-25 with DX10 enabled. This doesn't happen when I switch back to DX9. Its almost like stuttering.

Anybody seen this and any tips for eliminating it?

I also get lower performance with DX10. I'm still tuning it but at the moment I have to add so much AA in DX10 to git rid of the shimmering parked AI planes that it brings the performance down below that of DX9. This is with bloom and aircraft self shadows off. With those options on I get better performance in DX10 because those options hit the FPS of DX9 so hard. When I need all the FPS I can get, i.e. with lots of Airline AI, then I use DX9 without bloom and aircraft self shadowing.

So far my experience has been without bloom and cockpit shadows DX9 performs better than DX10. With those options on, DX10 performs better than DX9.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Well, ended up porking my FSX installation. No fault of the DX10 Fixer, just me faffing around.

Its forced me to do a re-install and I have been super careful about what goes in this time around.

Unfortunately, Im back to DX9 as the high AA requirements of 4xSGSS is just not going to work for me plus the odd FPS issue where DX9 was no problem.

DX10 looked good though. I probably rushed into dropping cash on the fixer. Not to worry.....

Well,

I had the best experience with it, but then I never enable bloom or aircraft self shadows, and I am fine with lower AA settings, if not for any other reason because my GC is a 650 Ti - 1GB, so, very "limited" according to current standards.

But overall, both default DX10 and through the Fixer always gave me a good gain in FPS.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The fixer requires serious re-tuning of the Nvidia Inspector to keep the look and keep the FPS up. I found bits and pieces of advice around the net. Someone needs to publish a serious DX10 guide, just like the previous guides for DX9 setups.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

The fixer requires serious re-tuning of the Nvidia Inspector to keep the look and keep the FPS up. I found bits and pieces of advice around the net. Someone needs to publish a serious DX10 guide, just like the previous guides for DX9 setups.

Lee

There's one out there http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88271-DX10-quot-How-to-quot-Guide-a-new-home!  Should help you get DX10 setup up and working great.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro