Sign in to follow this  
RenX

Could I fly a real Boeing 737-800?

Interesting topic, even I know I wouldnt be able to fly a real 777 manually, but will have a good CHANCE at manipulating the AP/ AT...any warning chimes and id probably be crapping it...Soo many differences in RL, too many varibales to list to make it even harder to fly manually.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

NO

LOL I stand corrected.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

A serious, competent C172 sim flyer has, technically, the ability to land a real C172 (with a decent simulator setup, including rudder pedals, etc).  The problem is that in real life the sim flyer is likely to be overwhelmed by the sudden addition of new sensations like g forces, different control pressures and sensitivities, not to mention the shocking realization that the situation is actually real rather than just sitting at a desk.  An accomplished sim flyer with the disposition of a test pilot, someone who can remain focused and not get rattled, could pull it off.

Actually, this isn't a theoretical discussion at all.  It's already been done.  An accomplished C172 sim pilot arranged to takeoff and land a C172 - with an instructor sitting at his side!  It wasn't pretty, but he did it.  The sim pilot took off and landed the C172 with no prior training except for his experience with the simulator.

"An accomplished C172 sim pilot arranged to takeoff and land a C172 - with an instructor sitting at his side! "

Here is the corresponding video:  

Other interesting videos:

15 year old simpilot lands  737-800 in a full simulator: 

But there are still DIFFERENCES between full-simu and real plane !

A Belgian journalist without any aviation knowledge learned to fly the REAL 737-800 in a crash-course in only 1 Month time:

Guy

I have an idea. Lets all here on avsim chip in to buy a real 737-800. Then, we could put an NGX pilot in the left seat an send him on his way. I guarantee that threads like this will stop right away after people see the abrupt conclusion of his flight! 

Well, I'm quite sure anyone who owns a proper driving game & driving wheel and pedals can drive a real life car on an empty road without any problems. Similarly anyone who has practiced with FS pedals & some kind of a throttle could taxi a C172 on a big airport with wide taxiways.

Sure, it's different, however not anything that one couldn't learn in about 5 minutes or so. After all you just need to steer your front wheel & control the power and brakes. Shouldn't be any hard on a big airport with taxiways that can handle a 737.

I really can't see how I couldn't possibly make a survivable landing with a C172 on a runway of a major international airport in ideal weather conditions & perfectly functioning aircraft.

I remember the first time I taxied a 172. I dang near went off the taxi way before the instructor took control. The feel and response from the pedals was totally different then I expected.

Matt Wilson

If a young Russian girl can land a fully loaded 737-800NG simulator used to train real 737 pilots in just 10 attempts I think anyone can.    I also saw a great TV show from Germany where a guy accepts hard challenges and tries to complete them for the audience.  One episode was; "Can you land Boeing 737 after only 1 month of training?"     Great episode to watch.   He did it but boy was he sweating the whole way in and of course he had a real pilot next to him to take the controls of things went horribly wrong.

Snakes On A Plane proves you can fly MS FSX and be a pro when your life is threatened by snakes on a plane~!  :P   lol

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I have quite a few hours in several Level-D sims (737-700 at Southwest, 747-400 at United, and Lear 45 at Flight Safety) and I can say without hesitation that the answer is no.

Could you get it off the ground? Probably not as the feel of the pedals would be a whole new thing. Could you turn on the A/P and fly it up to altitude? Probably.You might even to be able to initiate an autoland (but pulling it off is far from a sure thing). But all that's a far cry from the real thing.

I remember how proud and puffy I was the first time I tried the 737. Heck, I'd been simming for 25 years and this was going to be a cake-walk. Flew a quick route out of LAX over to PSP and back. Landed that sucker with just a couple of hops and was really feeling good. Then......

Add-in a little crosswind, just a bit of shear, drop the visibility a notch or two, maybe a little rain or heavy mist, and it's a whole new ballgame. Plus IMNSHO, in the real thing just the pucker factor alone would be enough to screw things up.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

A Belgian journalist without any aviation knowledge learned to fly the REAL 737-800 in a crash-course in only 1 Month time:

Guy

Seen that program was very interesting, because he was a complete novice. First landing was hard in a 737 captain ordered the Go-Around which they planned for, 2nd landing was good, you have to undertake a lot of training as he did. But even he had to start from the basic props to get an idea of "Flight"

spacer.png

Greetings Sir,

I wrote an article about whether or not a sim pilot could actually manage...

...Aside from the things I pointed out, I think it's possible for a sim pilot to fly if he is aware of the issues I mentioned and know the procedures. It's the surprises that usually get you in trouble while flying. 

This is THE spot-on response in my opinion.

As a USAF crew chief, I once had to taxi a jet out of a HAS due to a fuel fire in the rear of the HAS.  I got in serious trouble for it, but I saved a multimillion dollar aircraft from becoming a heap of slag.  With live weapons on board as well...  Wasn't nothing to it.

I've rotated an F-16D on takeoff - as a non-pilot.  Flown a departure as well, same circumstances.  Easy.  Not an expert, mind you, but it was as easy as one could imagine if one had some time in DCS... 

The g-forces I was imposing on the airframe and myself were unsettling.  First time I pulled back on the F-4C stick I about filled my drawers, and not in a good way...

I've flown approaches in an F-16B and DG - as a non-pilot.  Again, not an expert, and I would've had a high probability of requiring to eject if I actually allowed the aircraft to touch the runway due to my lack of skills - but I could do it.

I've done bombing runs at the range as a non-pilot.  Wasn't that hard.

I've aviated in the F-111, F-4C, F-4E, and all USAF variants of the family truckster version of the F-16.

I'm not a fighter pilot.  I'm a crew chief.  But in response to the OP, I could FLY it.

I would have been a statistic if I'd have tried to land the aircraft, as well as taking out others in the vicinity.  And, the trusting hand of an IP was always hovering near the other stick if I made a mess of things.

Let me add that I know where everything is in those cockpits and how all of the systems work, and was professionally trained.  If I'd have tried the same thing using BMS Falcon, I would have been declared certifiable.

In answer to your question:

With the right research and a illustrated checklist in front of you, you could prep the aircraft for flight.  You might miss something important, but chances are you'd do OK.

Taxi?  Maybe.  You'd look like my grandmother trying to drive Formula 1, but maybe you could do it.

Takeoff?  I'd put your chances at less than 50/50, because you'd scare the bejeezus out of yourself as the nosegear cleared the runway.  This assumes you could keep it going down the runway straight and level prior to rotating.  That, well, I give you a 10% chance of that.

IF - big IF - you got it started, taxied to the runway, got it down the runway and airborne, flaps up, gear up, yes, you could actually fly it as long as you kept within bank angles, g-loads, VNE, VMAX, VMIN, and assorted other parameters.

Landing?  Even CAT III ILS autoland, I give you a 95% chance of becoming a smokin' hole in the ground.

I leaned to fly and did my first solo in a Traumahawk.  Even that little bird had its own quirks that only flying with an IP could prepare me for. 

Theoretically, yes, you could fly it.  The chances of your or the aircraft's survival is extremely low.

Landing?  Even CAT III ILS autoland, I give you a 95% chance of becoming a smokin' hole in the ground.

So you basically give 95% chance that AP+AT would screw up. I think the technology is a little bit more reliable than that.

What an enlightening reply, Kevin. Sheds a whole heap of new light on this topic. Appreciated.

So you basically give 95% chance that AP+AT would screw up. I think the technology is a little bit more reliable than that.

Here's my opinion - note that it represents opinion and not facts, but:

I have zero experience with a CAT III Autoland outside of the home PC.  However, having over a thousand flights as a passenger under my belt (frankly, I'd guess that over 50% of us here are just commercial jet passengers, not pilots), I've felt the assymetrical loads on the aircraft during both manual and autobraking deceleration.  God granted me a sensitive gluteus maximus, I guess.  And I've been on aircraft that during perfect flying weather and without any real winds that have blown all four main tires on landing.  (Northwest Airlines 737, near Minot AFB, ND, 1992)  I've been on a Delta DC-9(?) that dragged the left wingtip on the ground during a CAT III autoland (Delta, KATL, 1993)  The skill of the yoke actuator in the cockpit saved my family jewels, and it is these types of occurences that I think of when I say to the OP, "Hmmm... Nope, I can't feature you landing the aircraft safely".  Assymetrical loads on landing are rough and it takes a practiced hand to recover.

I'm assuming you were thinking that during the autobraking the aircraft tends to remain arrow-straight down the centerline of the runway?

Reminds me of a line out of The Matrix - Morpheus to Neo: "So you think that's air you're breathing? (insert pregnant pause)  Hmph."

What an enlightening reply, Kevin. Sheds a whole heap of new light on this topic. Appreciated.

Rick, given the nature of some replies, I'll take that as a compliment.  Thanks!

You could totally do it. Flightsim is just like real life!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |