Sign in to follow this  
RenX

Could I fly a real Boeing 737-800?

Perfect timing! I was just wondering the other day what happened to the semi-annual "can I fly a airliner if I can fly the sim"....

The short answer is YES.......... all the way to the scene of the crash!

Jay

I'm assuming you were thinking that during the autobraking the aircraft tends to remain arrow-straight down the centerline of the runway?

Given that rollout AP mode is active, it would most probably stay at centerline.

Yes. There was a (?dutch) TV special where the presenter flew and landed a real world 737 after a few months of simulator training.

It's on youtube somewhere.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Given that rollout AP mode is active, it would most probably stay at centerline.

OK, well, you may be aware of something I'm not.  Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  However, were I on board said aircraft, I'd strap on a parachute, pop a door near the tail, and take my chances being the next D.B Cooper.  I've got over 200 jumps, so IMHO I think I'd be safer...

The biggest shock to any simmer who's never flown for real will be the forces and the fact that you have to use your trim. And I mean use it for real, not just casually. 

And I guarantee, no matter how used to using rudder pedals you are, you will at some point jerk on the yoke and wonder why in the heck the plane isn't turning while taxiing. Happens to everyone. 

Sensory overload would get most people. But it doesn't take long before it all becomes second nature. The jump from a simulator desk to a real Cherokee/172 is a lot bigger then a Cherokee to a 737 as far as actually flying the plane. I have no doubt most private pilots could safely land a 737 in an emergency (assuming they know how to stop the thing once on the ground). 

OK, well, you may be aware of something I'm not.  Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  However, were I on board said aircraft, I'd strap on a parachute, pop a door near the tail, and take my chances being the next D.B Cooper.  I've got over 200 jumps, so IMHO I think I'd be safer...

I would rather put my life in the hands of 737NG autopilot than in simmers hands. Just think about it: Hundreds of autolands in one month all over the world versus first time on flight deck flight simmer.

I would rather put my life in the hands of 737NGX autopilot than in simmers hands. Just think about it: Hundreds of autolands in one month all over the world versus first time on flight deck flight simmer.

OK, I think you and I agree on that.

If it would be possible to fly real B737 after sim time, then why airline pilots are still required to get their PPL, CPL and THEN ATPL?

Why would you require airline pilots to fly single props first, if you can teach them flying B737s on professional flight sims?

It is like with cars. You are not learning driving in Ferrari. Simple.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Yes. There was a (?dutch) TV special where the presenter flew and landed a real world 737 after a few months of simulator training.

It's on youtube somewhere.

It was Belgian Tv and only ONE MONTH !

During this month he had first to learn the PPL-theory and SOLO on a small aircraft (Cirrus) and then he passed on to the 737 full motion sim and after that to the real 737 !

All that in ONE month time !

I posted the video already above:  

Guy

I've had the "The crew has been poisoned by the in-flight meals. I'll just swing open the cockpit door and land the 737" dream too. Despite being the holder of, no longer active, PPL, Instrument and Multi tickets, I'd say probably not likely.

If the A/C and it's systems had not been compromised, I'd probably be able to coax the autopilot to execute an autoland at a very long and wide CATIII R/W with the help of a highly skilled and infinitely patient 737 expert talking me through it on the ground. Even then I'd probably short circuit something with the sweat and tears pouring from my body on the way down.

Since I saw Gravity at our local movie theater, I've decided that the ISS/ spacewalk/fiery descent back to mother earth scenario might be easier. Apparently all you have to do is master the CO2 bottle trick, punch some random buttons on Russian and Chinese panels and hold on tight. :rolleyes:

If it would be possible to fly real B737 after sim time, then why airline pilots are still required to get their PPL, CPL and THEN ATPL?

Why would you require airline pilots to fly single props first, if you can teach them flying B737s on professional flight sims?

Because airline pilots need to be able to handle their aircraft in any conditions and in failure situations, every single working day of the year.

Airline pilots are required to fly single props first simply because that's a lot cheaper than teaching them to fly 737's. Basic principles of flight could be taught with a 737 too, it's just way more expensive and not very practical as those aircraft are made to be operated by a cockpit crew of two qualified pilots.

It is like with cars. You are not learning driving in Ferrari. Simple.

It's perfectly possible to learn driving with a Ferrari. 

My question would rather be can someone who fly PMDG 737ngx be better prepared for flight school than someone who is fresh new to aviation ? For example if you were to join a flight school program would you comprehend basic procedures for 737 better than someone who is completely new to aviation? I mean no flight sim  experience whatsoever. 

Will you have a better chance to understand all the studies that flight school instructor gives you to study?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Basic principles of flight could be taught with a 737 too, it's just way more expensive and not very practical as those aircraft are made to be operated by a cockpit crew of two qualified pilots.

I would love to see student pilot doing VFR navigation, steep turns, spirals, stalls and spin recovery in B737.

Anyone here have video for that?

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1