Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Long Loading Times and Orbx Scenery

A sudden jump in my FSX loading time (initial load with a fresh PC boot up) recently shot up from 2 minutes as normal to a whopping 9 and a half minutes. I aleeady had FTX England, Scotland and Wales installed, but prior to the new loading time I had just installed Orbx's PNW and Northern California. I assume these a responsible for the jump. After switching these two new sceneries off on the sim and removing the folders from the FSX root directory, I am back to 2 minutes load time.

Now I don't know how to proceed. Put just one of the sceneries back in and fly it first.... swap out my UK Orbx sceneries for the American ones .... try both the US sceneries again, see if the remove-add has any benefial effect ....

The UK is my main flying area, but I fancied some nice Orbx bush flying with the Caravan, Islander and Twin Otter ....

Anybody got any other suggestions? A 9 minute load time is livable, but sometimes one of my screens can freeze and I occassionaly have to restart the computer and sim. Then another 10 minutes load time just to get back intp the flight feels like forever.

I think I may try a defrag using some third party software, see if that eases the problem. I may also switch off my antivirus, see if that has any effect.

9 min is excessive... Something's up.... Hmmmm

Rebooted the PC lately? Try running the Orbx control panel.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A reminder also to see that you have checked "Empty Scenery Cache on exit" in the settings/ scenery library section.

Ah, will do.

I have seen other posts where folks have lots of Orbx scenery, and they don't mention overlong loading times. Im hoping there is something else at work.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I've a lot of OrbX sceneries both in FSX and P3D which each weighs 190 Gb, without this nightmarish loading time. I've, of course, the infamous 6% pause which gets longer everytime I buy something new. Both are on a SSD.

This being said, on a laptop, my FSX has taken an eternity to open after I loaded 100 Gb of mesh and I strongly suspect a botched defrag by a program supposed to be smarter than the default defragger,

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

After installing ALOT of ORBX scenery I also have long load times, maybe 5-10 min. And that is with the fastest computer you can build (basically).

You can do a tweek to add an entry disable preload, but then it will just take longer once you select your flight. I was hoping someone would figure a fix for this also. Every computer w/ lots of ORBX will experience this (all the ones I have built).

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I've found that the Orbx stuff does increase the loading time quite a bit. It's not other scenery in the library or aircraft. I guess that's just the price you pay for all the eye candy. :) But almost 10 minutes does seem a bit much.

I have all the Orbx sceneries except for a few EU and AU airports along with Global and Vector.  I also have all the Return to Misty Moorings sceneries and their shipping ai.  Add to that Aerosoft's Maldives, Seychelles, Madeira, Tahiti, and Balearic Islands.  I am using Ultimate Traffic 2 for my ai.  It all takes up about half of my 500GB SSD.   My Pilot's Global Ultimate mesh (101GB) is installed on a separate SSD.

I boot up to a saved startup flight directly from an icon on my desktop bypassing the FSX startup screen.

I just timed my startup with a stop watch.

The first startup after turning on my computer has a load time of 4:32 including 76 seconds at 6%.

Subsequent startups after the first one are about 3:20 including 48 seconds at 6%.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

OK now Im curious, I will check the actual time and report back.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

OK so with the disable preload added. It took 20 sec to boot to the startup screen. then after I select a flight it took 4:36 to load.

So if someone is using a mechanical HD I could see it taking 10min. to load, as I am using a Very fast Plextor M5Pro to achive this with LOTS of ORBX scenery.

Just a thought, if you are using global mesh like the gargantuan FSGlobal Ultimate mesh that covers the whole planet and have all of it check marked in your scenery library, load times will increase massively.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Just installed FSX-SE on SSD clean , fast loading with default. Installed PNW now with CentralV3 i got the infamous 6% pause for 1:45 minutes so the full scenery loading is approx 4 minutes.

If i remove PNW all goes back to 'normal'. I will install my other orbx stuff and will check. Of course its not so slow just a huge jump but looking at the experience i get with PNW worth it :)

The more scenery you have, the longer will be the 6% pause specially if these products contain mesh. There is only one solution to that : a SSD. I run P3D, not FSX-SE, but 1'45 seems a bit longish for PNW. Is your HD defragged ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam