Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Sounds discussion

I got the airplane today.  Really enjoyable.  Not sure about the engine sounds, though.  The inside the cabin alert sounds are quite loud by comparison...really loud.  I'd rather not buy an engine soundset so I'm hoping I have something that is at least okay to try.  I have the C208, DHC6, PA46T and the Duke Turbine...are any of them close?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You would be looking for the longer version of the PT6A (extra stage) but, most importantly, for a version featuring the lower prop speeds of I think 1700rpm max. So the worst thing to happen when you pick one of the planes from your list is that the prop sound is pitched slightly too high since they are running 1800+ (or 2000 on the Duke).

So I guess a rough edit with a sound editor (pitch change, just for the prop sounds) would do. Maybe take the C208 sounds and perform it there.

I don't have the PC12 yet, are the sounds really that bad? Or do they just featured a muffled set, where you are supposed to wear virtual noise cancelling headsets? Then I would just reduce the volume of the instrument sounds and warnings.

If it is the alert sounds you are after, you should look in the FSX\sound\Carenado\PC12 folder

Bert

I don't have the PC12 yet, are the sounds really that bad? Or do they just featured a muffled set, where you are supposed to wear virtual noise cancelling headsets?

Sounds are not that bad, but are not the best either the inside is muffled, sounds like noise cancelling headsets...and if you turn the volume quite high, the sound gets distorted...but I don't turn up the volume that high...so is very acceptable, but interior sounds like noise cancelling headsets...

Exterior is nice, quite loud (expected from a PT6A), nothing different, you can search in youtube, there are new videos, there's one with a complete startup, taxi, takeoff, etc, with no music, and there you can check the sounds...

I tried with the TBM sounds and P46T, but I have 135 hours on the TBM and 168 on the P46T, so I want to hear something different haha...C208 sounds are unique from the C208...the PC12, has also a unique sound, and they're all PT6A, but they sounds different in every model...quite curious

There's another one done by ECS (if I'm not mistaken), exclusively for the PC12, but is not that good...I'll wait if Arezone releases the soundpack for the PC12, will get it...

I can't say whether they're bad or not...never flown one.  Might be headset sound.  The beeps and all are really loud and I'm trying to adjust things to see if I can get them lower...or the engine sound up to compensate.  In any case, it's just one thing I may need to change.  There are lots of other things to do to get this airplane completely functional.  Lots of LINDA stuff to do.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Do you guys have the B1900? Is it like that? I really like those sounds but did edit the other cockpit sound sources since they came in very loud. My guess would be, as Bert recommends, that this is the easier and maybe even more accurate way.

And cheap, no need to buy extra sounds.

It'd be nice if Carenado would include them. 

I was thinking about trying the sounds from my Twotter for grins.

Gregg Seipp

It might be me but I think the sounds could use some tweaking.  The "1,000' to go altitude alert is by far the loudest sound, as well as another warning at 300; to go.  Then engines are ok (probably about right with a noise cancelling headseat, but I don't hear any noise for flap motor, fuel pumps are barely audible, and landing gear is about 1/4 as load as the altitude aleart.  Siren for AOA capture is a little nerve racking on short final.  If I were a passenger on this plane with those sirens and horns sounding away at full bore, I would probably poop my pants.  I'm hoping some genius tweaker can reel those sounds into reality.  Tim G.

I still don't have her (are they planning a SP2 btw?) but from the other planes, I can tell you that the sound edits are easy to do. You just have to locate the sounds (e.g. ALT alert at \Sound\Carenado\plane subfolder) and then you can use some freeware like Audacity to cut 3 or more db of volume. Then overwrite the original sounds.

For sounds being defined in the sound.cfg (at \SimObjects\Airplanes\plane subfolder\sound) , you can directly edit the value for volume. So if it for example reads

[FUEL_PUMP]
filename=fuel_pump
flags=0
viewpoint=1
maximum_volume=8600

You just make that a 10000 or something, if you need a louder fuel pump.

That whole editing business is very generic knowledge, so once you saw how it works, it can be applied to almost any planes in the sim and to all current Carenado/Alabeo ones. This is just to motivate you on the learning needed. :smile:

Just to add my two cents... Believe it or not, Carenado really got close to the real thing here.. it's all very accurate.. Even the beeps, pings, and buzzes. The PC12, and especially the NG, are some of the most bong, gong, and pinging aircraft... ever.  tgarris56, you just have to inform the people in back what to expect. The dings and dongs are Loud As Snookies in the real one too.

Just to add my two cents... Believe it or not, Carenado really got close to the real thing here.. it's all very accurate.. Even the beeps, pings, and buzzes. The PC12, and especially the NG, are some of the most bong, gong, and pinging aircraft... ever.  tgarris56, you just have to inform the people in back what to expect. The dings and dongs are Loud As Snookies in the real one too.

They are sort of close. The Flight1 has realistic sounds. The 5 beeps in the Carenado aircraft when approaching the assigned altitude should only beep when you are 1000 feet away. The 3 beeps should only sound if you are off your assigned altitude, not 300 feet to go. The decision height sound is also not right in the Carenado. Same problem with Fire, pusher, stall, and others. Luckily it is easy to switch out the Flight1 sounds instead for a realistic experience.

I still don't have her (are they planning a SP2 btw?) but from the other planes, I can tell you that the sound edits are easy to do. You just have to locate the sounds (e.g. ALT alert at \Sound\Carenado\plane subfolder) and then you can use some freeware like Audacity to cut 3 or more db of volume. Then overwrite the original sounds.

Agree with coolip Audacity is easy to use and a great freeware - with a some tweaking you can get it to your liking - make sure you save it out as the original format

Rich Sennett

Flight1 sounds instead for a realistic experience

True on the number and timing of things, but it's real close as far as how "vocal" she is... and there are mods to correct the timing and number of sounds now.

About the only thing I would mess with, is add a little more bass to the engine sounds... but that is system specific really, as everyone will be totally different with audio equipment.

About the only thing I would mess with, is add a little more bass to the engine sounds... but that is system specific really, as everyone will be totally different with audio equipment.

The bass thing is very true.  I just happened to load up the Turbine Duke after a flight and was sitting there listening to that low, humming growl thinking 'wowww'.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Just an update on this -

The T6 Texan II, one of the default P3D planes actually has a PT6A engine. Difference to the PC12 being that it's 1100 HP vs 1200 HP and 2000 rpm prop instead of 1700 rm.

You can try it if you want something a bit different without buying a third party soundset.

Unfortunately, with it and many soundsets, the prop sound is built in as part of the rpm sound.