Sign in to follow this  
metalmike

Ultra-Res City within ORBX region?

I have never bought a photoscenery product, but now I am strongly considering it especially for large cities that give quite a framerate hit due to the autogen (even though I only have it set to "normal", my system is not as powerful as most here seem to have). Portland and Seattle are some of the biggest culprits in ORBX PNW. I noticed MegaSceneryEarth has products for both cities. Has anybody had success overlaying these over ORBX regional products? The MSE products are on sale for a short time so I'd like to know if they'd work before actually buying. Thanks.

I have never bought a photoscenery product, but now I am strongly considering it especially for large cities that give quite a framerate hit due to the autogen (even though I only have it set to "normal", my system is not as powerful as most here seem to have). Portland and Seattle are some of the biggest culprits in ORBX PNW. I noticed MegaSceneryEarth has products for both cities. Has anybody had success overlaying these over ORBX regional products? The MSE products are on sale for a short time so I'd like to know if they'd work before actually buying. Thanks.

It would not be a problem you would put MSE higher in the scenery library but where one transitions to the other you will notice a difference if you can live with that then your all set 

Rich Sennett

That's what I figured, but I wanted to confirm with someone who's tried it that there wouldn't be any issues.

I have Washington and Oregon MSE.  Portland Ultra HiRes should look okay (I don't own it).  The Orbx Seattle is photoscenery so leave MSE Wash below the Orbx entries and Seattle will be Orbx Seattle.  You will want MSE Wash as the Photoscenery in the surrounding areas is much, much better.  Like Rich said though you will see a lot of differences where there are transitions.  I know I tried to eliminate PNW and only use the Orbx Seattle airport with MSE Wash and, as I recall, they do not align properly so you want to keep MSE Wash below Orbx or use the default Seattle airport and do not load PNW.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would strongly consider the Vero-FS scenery product.  They have scenery for those areas and he places autogen on top of it.   They also offer a couple free scenery products if you want to see what they look like. 

Plus, when overlaying photoscenery on top of ORBX, you will still see all the custom placed objects by ORBX. 

Does anyone know if there Is going to be any means of using Google Earth in the future for scenery? I've not heard any rumour or plans, I just wondered if anyone else had

Phil

There's a multitude of places to get photoscenery Google being just one of them.  Bing has some very nice detailed areas as does Yahoo, ArcGis, MapQuest, National Geological Survey (where Megascenery gets theirs for free BTW).

Funny thing, I noticed ORBX gets much of their photoreal airport textures from Bing, or rather Bing and ORBX gets them from the same place.