Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

No user guide for PC-12?

Just bought PC-12 last night and I'm now reading through this forum (a lot to learn!).

I'm a bit surprised that there seems no user guide/manual about PC-12 which explains the buttons and switches in the cockpit, plus how to operate them to correctly start the engine and shut down system etc. Or, as I'm not a big fan at all in terms of pushing 100 buttons just to get the propeller rotating, what are the shortcuts to get everything up and running by few keystrokes, etc.

Admittedly my knowledge on operating a complex plane probably is laughable, but it's very disappointing that Carenado seems to assume that every customer of their PC-12 has already known everything about PC-12.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Heya FI, 

Go into your Carenado folder in your FSX/P3D directory and you will find all the documentation under PC12.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

John, I did that already and there are PDFs only for GNS530, Multifunction Display, EFIS and procedures. But there is no PDF that illustrates the cockpit so I can at least get familiar with all the switches etc. For instance what are all the switches on the overhead board and what they do exactly?

One quick question, how do I engage reverse thrust? I program the thrust reversal keystroke in P3D on my HOTAS which works fine with all other planes like 737 etc, but doesn't seem to work on PC-12. There is not a single piece of document I can find in PC-12 package to help me find out how to do this.

I assume that in your throttle there is a SW in a position aft 0 throttle, if so assign that to Throtte decrease quickly (F2 ) and set repeat to max.

Jorge

Thanks for confirming that PC-12 still uses F2 key for reverse thrust. I'm using TM Warthog (I knew not a realistic setup for flying civilian planes but I love this HOTAS) and I programmed the F2 key on one of the buttons on the stick. It was working fine with any other aircraft I tried. I test PC-12 again to see what's going on. Again, the total lack of documentation on the basic operation of PC-12 is kind irritating.

You can suggest to Carenado to include a detailed cockpit ilustration PDF with all the buttons and its functions...support@carenado.com

I think I will. Right now I feel kind of 50% lost in the cockpit, although I can fly the thing at the moment by just letting P3D powers (ctrl-E) it up and use my common sense. But I have no idea whether left any switch unflipped etc.

I'm not asking for a book or sth, but at least a quick reference that can help me understand those necessary details in the cockpit and flight. 

By the way, I just got reverse throttle to work - turned out a small software for my Oculus Rift intercepted the F2 keystroke and I forgot to turn it off.

although I can fly the thing at the moment by just letting P3D powers (ctrl-E) it up and use my common sense. But I have no idea whether left any switch unflipped etc.

Well, don't be that drastic, you can do a bit of effort and get 30 minutes or so in the cockpit locating all the switches...go to the overhead and read everything then pedestal, and so...btw it doesn't have that many switches...and is not a difficult aircraft to operate, honestly...

However there in simmarket (if I am not mistaken) there's a complete video of a PC12 flight that you can purchase and see how the pilot operates the PC12...it could help you more...

However there in simmarket (if I am not mistaken) there's a complete video of a PC12 flight that you can purchase and see how the pilot operates the PC12...it could help you more...

It's a really good video.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

BTW...if you have the "old" F1 PC12, it has an excelent A/C documentation (something that Cerenado can learn from ) that can be used here as well/

Gregg, thanks for your great found on this PC12 manual! Surely Carenado can do the same but they did none. Kind of outrageous I'd say.

I want to fly PC12 via VOR1 but I can't get it work. The VOR1 responds to the frequency I set in GNS 530 (the default came with PC12) but I haven't figured out how to set a radial/course on VOR1. Maybe this manual can help me to figure this out..

I want to fly PC12 via VOR1 but I can't get it work. The VOR1 responds to the frequency I set in GNS 530 (the default came with PC12) but I haven't figured out how to set a radial/course on VOR1. Maybe this manual can help me to figure this out..

Here's the knob.

YPBQ4FS.png

Look in your fsx/Carenado/PC12 directory for a file called "PC12 Electronic Flight Information System.pdf". 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Gregg, thanks! I was able to figure that out last night too and had a very satisfying time flying NAV on VOR1. I tried that knob before but it didn't work. One thing I figured out this time is that to get that course knob to turn VOR1 course the CDI on GNS 530 has to be set to VLOC, otherwise there is not response on VOR1 radial setting (I'm not 100% sure on this yet, I'll test again tonight).

Now the new problem: how to set VOR2? I tried to enter VOR2 frequency on second GNS 530 but found it only registers and displays VOR1, regardless what numbers I flip/enter. I'll look at those PDFs that came with PC12 again to see if there is any clue. I scanned through them when I first installed PC12 but I might have overlooked sth... 

Another thing is that PC12 zigzags around the radial quite a bit when >100nm away from VOR1, is there a setting I can narrow the range swing?

One thing I figured out this time is that to get that course knob to turn VOR1 course the CDI on GNS 530 has to be set to VLOC, otherwise there is not response on VOR1 radial setting (I'm not 100% sure on this yet, I'll test again tonight).

That makes sense, though, right?  When in GPS mode the GNS sets it for you.  If you're going from GNS to VLOC, set your heading bug to the heading you want, switch the AP to HDG mode then press VLOC, dial the course and press NAV.  Good stuff.

Now the new problem: how to set VOR2? I tried to enter VOR2 frequency on second GNS 530 but found it only registers and displays VOR1, regardless what numbers I flip/enter. I'll look at those PDFs that came with PC12 again to see if there is any clue. I scanned through them when I first installed PC12 but I might have overlooked sth..

Press that 1-2 button on the image I sent earlier.  Unfortunately, they didn't implement the button to show VOR2 DME when Nav1 is active.  As a result the only way to fly an ILS that uses a VOR for distance is to use the GNS. 

Another thing is that PC12 zigzags around the radial quite a bit when >100nm away from VOR1, is there a setting I can narrow the range swing?

It can happen and I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it.  If you're flying an airway look for something like this...

HedWIP6.png

It shows when to switch from the VOR behind you to the VOR in front of you.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp