Sign in to follow this  
jfriz

Modeling the aircraft for icing

I am wondering why PMDG has not included this  in their airplanes?   Has it been thought of?  Like the Majestic uses.     Windshield, wing, engine, icing.     This is what makes the Q400 such a great realistic airplane to fly.

Maybe the B747 v2 will have it..

Best,

JFriz

I am taking a wild guess here, but I think it is because aircraft like the 777 mainly fly above any icing conditions, while the Q400 is more exposed to weather down below. Icing is also not very well simulated in FSX.

They do have accurate thrust reduction with wing and anti-ice modelled at least.

Edit: Oh, I misred. You were talking strictly of the visuals? Then it might be performance considerations.

I am wondering why PMDG has not included this  in their airplanes?   Has it been thought of?  Like the Majestic uses.     Windshield, wing, engine, icing.     This is what makes the Q400 such a great realistic airplane to fly.

Best,

JFriz

They model icing on the JS41.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Best,

JFriz

Once airborne, icing isn't an issue for turbojet aircraft.  With hot bleed air anti-ice and the fact that they spend only several minutes each flight at icing levels, it sure would be a waste of time to even consider the effects.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

In the Q400 we were in the icing levels quite a bit. In the 767, we're above it all for a good majority of my flights. SAT -40ºC and below, boeing doesn't even factor icing into the equation, which is pretty much everything above FL340. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

More about icing,

I have over 10,000 hours of real time in a B737.      I have  encountered severe icing several times, windshield,  and wings.  This occurred during  holding, and, or approaches.  Light to moderate icing on climb outs several times also.

Anyway, I use my simulator  for training, and to have the icing effects modeled would make the experience that much better.

Yes, it is true at the higher altitudes icing is not a problem.

I don't have the J41,[  the only PMDG that I don't have]. So, Billy you say that the windshield will show ice, and the leading edge of the wings will turn white, like on the Majestic Q400?   [yes, visuals]

Thanks for the replies though.

JFriz

Yes, visual icing effects which the anti-ice will clear. The other PMDG sims use the default FSX icing model. So icing effects exist, after a fashion, but nothing visual. The problem in the 737 and 777 is apparently that they are at the FSX limit for animations, so there is no spare capacity to create these effects. 747v2 will have the same limitation.

ki9cAAb.jpg

More about icing,

I have over 10,000 hours of real time in a B737.      I have  encountered severe icing several times, windshield,  and wings.  This occurred during  holding, and, or approaches.  Light to moderate icing on climb outs several times also.

Anyway, I use my simulator  for training, and to have the icing effects modeled would make the experience that much better.

Yes, it is true at the higher altitudes icing is not a problem.

I don't have the J41,[  the only PMDG that I don't have]. So, Billy you say that the windshield will show ice, and the leading edge of the wings will turn white, like on the Majestic Q400?   [yes, visuals]

Thanks for the replies though.

JFriz

Jfritz,

We have simulated what you are looking for on the Q400- windshield and wing icing effects- as they happen in reality. They had me as a consultant so they got it right! :)

I have over 10,000 hours of real time in a B737. I have encountered severe icing several times, windshield, and wings. This occurred during holding, and, or approaches. Light to moderate icing on climb outs several times also.

I've been flying over 40 years commercially and in the military and I don't do "Severe Icing." The main icing concern for me is "Breaking Action." :)

I'll get a couple of screen shots for you the next time I fly the JS41. The JS41 maybe the best of all the PMDG models. :)

Billy

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

The main icing concern for me is "Breaking Action." :)

I see what you did there. Though, I'd change that simile from a smile to something else as I see the runway coming to an end.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Brendan said,

We have simulated what you are looking for on the Q400- windshield and wing icing effects- as they happen in reality. They had me as a consultant so they got it right!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brendan, 

That's what I mean about the visual on icing...

Good job.

Thank you,

Jfriz

Edit.. Billy, would like to see the icing screen shots on the J41, I might have to buy it!

Brendan said,

We have simulated what you are looking for on the Q400- windshield and wing icing effects- as they happen in reality. They had me as a consultant so they got it right!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brendan, 

That's what I mean about the visual on icing...

Good job.

Thank you,

Jfriz

Edit.. Billy, would like to see the icing screen shots on the J41, I might have to buy it!

One thing I should mention- these are visual effects only, but are "intelligent" and should be commensurate with the amount of icing level FSX/Activesky/Addon is providing. Structurally, you won't really have ice on the wings. But again- to see out the window you'll have to turn on the heat! I'm not sure if we add "ice weight" as our flight modeling exists outside of the FSX engine. Just pretend there's a check airman behind you about to yell if you don't set your switches up properly.

would like to see the icing screen shots on the J41, I might have to buy it!

I believe there are a few screenshots of icing on the J41 product page.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

As some have said already... Just another thing to drag down frame rates. A lot of people want as real as it gets and PMDG is as far as its gonna go for that but visually simulating icing is a little off the main point of having the plane. Well at least that's what I believe.

Avery Hammerman