Sign in to follow this  
jfriz

Modeling the aircraft for icing

In the file "icev10.zip" both in this library and in Flightsim's, there is a rather long and involved explanation of how MSFS (FS9 in particaular, but I believe it applies to FSX also) handles (or doesn't) icing conditions, and what to do to make them model it properly. The included gauge, (0 width, 0 height, just add it right into a panel) makes it all happen correctly, thus properly simulating icing as it really happens in the real world. It also includes a very nice indicator gauge you can add in, as well as the instructions on how to make the ".air" file work properly for DE-icining, as in how to ensure the de-icing systems of any aircraft will function correctly.

It may be worth a look, if you want...

And as to the biggrer liners not worrying about icing, all I can ever think of is the Air Florida (a 737, I think) flight out of Washington DC one winter night that wound up in the Patomac right after take-off...as well as the heroic efforts of all those who saved those were savable...

Long time ago...

Pat☺

And as to the biggrer liners not worrying about icing, all I can ever think of is the Air Florida (a 737, I think) flight out of Washington DC one winter night that wound up in the Patomac right after take-off...as well as the heroic efforts of all those who saved those were savable...

Long time ago...

Pat☺

And that was pilot error.   :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

, I'd change that simile from a smile to something else as I see the runway coming to an end.

Back in the "day" on the Mighty DC-10 landing RWY07L at PANC with breaking action reported as "FAIR" in moderate snow. When I passed RWY33 I hadn't even started to slow down. :-)

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

And that was pilot error.   :(

I don't recall the "official" causes, I just  know they at fist blamed wing leading edge icing for loss of lift, or maybe it was just "wing icing", and when they went into the noise reduction routine, the plane stalled without room to recover. If it was the piltos faults then so be it, I have a horrible memory...

My point was, or was trying to be, that even the tubes do have icing problems :) May well be only under specific and limited conditions, but it's still there. That was all I was trying to say, in my roundabout and obviously not very good way...

Pat☺

If it was the piltos faults then so be it, I have a horrible memory...

The pilots were completely at fault for that crash. The crew did not use the engine anti-ice, took of with ice on the wings, and the captain did not reject the takeoff when the FO realized the engines were not producing enough thrust.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

That's correct, the pilots were from Florida, were not properly trained in icing conditions.  The co-pilot was making the take off, and only advanced the thrust levers half way, they made many mistakes.

Jfriz

You guys are all totally correct, the pilots, yes both, were totally at fault for the final end result. The point I was trying to get across was that the airliners DO in fact have to worry about icing, albeit only during certain portions of the flight. I was simply trying to make sure for myself of what Zack was saying, was all. I wasn't arguing against pilot error in any way :) They DID make many mistakes, but the jet still succumbed, in the end, to icing. Yes, entirely due to the pilot's mistakes, but icing nonetheless. That's all I was saying :)

And yes, FS9 and FSX don't model it well at all, that's why I recommended the ice01.zip file :) It helps model it so any plane in either sim can have the effects of icing properly installed and working, to help add "realism" to a flight :) No matter if it's only during the first 3 mnutes of a flight, or the entire thing, no matter if it's a 787 or a C150. That's all I was working on saying. I didn't mean to head the thread in the direction I think I did, and I apologise  for that.

Hope this clears things up a little. I guess I threw waaaaay too much mud into my original post. Sorry bout that :)

Pat☺

Hi  Pat, no problem at all. 

I am not a gamer, so I try to look at my flight simming as real as I can get it.

I was giving simulator training[[in a Boeing full motion] when the Air Florida crash happened.   We had to immediately re-vamp our training procedures.

Cheers,

Jfriz

edit  I will have a look at the  ice01.zip file

edit  http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=29600482    A link to this file, I'll try it in the Cessna.

I might suggest that the PMDG developers take a look.

I might suggest that the PMDG developers take a look.

Got to admit, that would be pretty great. I'd spend hours trying to recreate the Air Florida crash as closely as possible. I live 15 minutes east of Dulles Int'l and about a half of an hour from Reagan. That crash may have had a decent effect on aviation, but it had and still has a huge impact in my area. Luckily this is because it's one of the very few commercial crashes in the DMV area.

@JFriz: Glad I could help a little, if help I did :) I doubt though the author will give PMDG permission, he seemed pretty adamant about it staying free, and they make a lot of money.

@~Vette: If you know the littlest bit about Panel editing, you can add it into any plane you like quite easily :)

Pat☺

@~Vette: If you know the littlest bit about Panel editing, you can add it into any plane you like quite easily :)

Pat

I don't know anything about computers :mellow: . I'm a wizard with Photoshop, but when it comes to coding and all that I'm useless. One of the things I love about PMDG is how easy their products are to install.

I can step ya through, if you want. Just send me a PM and you'll be able to add the gauge to any plane you desire. Your experience in Photoshop would actually prove helpful :)

Pat☺

I can step ya through, if you want. Just send me a PM and you'll be able to add the gauge to any plane you desire. Your experience in Photoshop would actually prove helpful :)

Pat☺

Thanks so much! I may just have to take you up on your offer! I know it's a bit off topic, but this kind of stuff is one of the reasons I love the flight sim community. I love how everybody helps each other as much as they can. It's the main reason I love Delta!

Richmond, same here!  I am with Delta also.

Jfriz

The co-pilot was making the take off, and only advanced the thrust levers half way, they made many mistakes.

That was a direct consequence of the Pt2 probe icing which caused EPR to overread. He advanced the levers far enough to get the correct EPR indication. They noticed the difference but thought the high EPR was due to the cold weather.

ki9cAAb.jpg