Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

GURU3D Display Driver Uninstaller...

Just wanted to report a happy result...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I had been using the note-book driver (that had the DSR feature enabled) on my GTX680, and was playing around 'large' with it, but then did a P3D 2.4 SGSS 2x/4x comparison and found that it was truly, the same visual output when using the true latest driver (344.11) for my GTX 680.   I then decided to go back to the normal (344.11) desk-top driver suite and merely use the setting of SGSS 2 (which doubles my screen resolution of 1920x1200 without all the fuss of the note-book solution)...but that isn't the story here...the following is the heart of this thread...

anyway...I had read that by using a note-book driver (even if you can fool your system into processing it...) you will leave behind artifacts that will not be overwritten in the Registry, by going back to the official DSR desk-top driver release, in the next nVivia driver update, etc....and this can cause systematic issues in your system.   Ok...so I went to Guru3D, and downloaded their latest version of the Display Driver Uninstaller and fired it up. It suggests that you run this program in SAFE MODE, so as to be able to not have drivers in play and locked by the system. The program will even set that up for you in the next reboot, if you wish..and was most convenient.

Ok...so, I did all that...and was amazed (you see what it is doing as it does just that...removing all traces of the driver suite, and then placing you at a virgin Windows install, as per the driver supplied by your O.S.) and then rebooted from Safe Mode into my normal boot-up.

I re-installed the proper 344.11  DESK-TOP certified, driver suite, and then set up my Precision X Plus overdrive settings that I run with to drive my GTX680 2GB.

Here's what I found out...that when you are applying a new, updated driver suite, and EVEN if you use the clean install feature of the nVidia driver installation program...it must not be truly scrubbing your system to the depth and level that this GURU3D Display Driver Uninstaller program does...in vetting out all references to any video driver...and removing it from your system and the Registry.

I found this out, in a most practical demonstration.  How so?  --------------------------->  If I tried to run the suggested (and usable, as per the EVGA sanctioned stress test module) over-clock settings over the last four updates of the my GTX680 driver, I would BSOD, and get the dreaded 'driver has lost communication with the whatever'...and you'd be done.  

So, I had to back off my O.C. that should have been easily obtained and sustainable for my card.  That has changed.....

Not only have I been able to run without any driver driven problem, since using a true and most useful stand-alone 3rd party driver cleaner suite, but in fact...am now able to run the full-out (EVGA max) O.C. settings in Precision X 16, and not one incident any further of loss of driver focus, or communication with the running program.  Not in P3D 2.4, not i FSX, not in XPX.30.

What this leads me to believe, is that I had artifacts and carry-over REGISTRY references to drivers that no longer were on my system, EVEN when (which I always had done...) having checked off the clean install feature for the updated installation.  So....there you have it,  anybody reading this, might want to consider my results, and download and use the the GURU3D program I am mentioning here, to get back to a pristine and proper video driver environment, especially if you have opted to use the note-book driver, to try out the DSR tweak. I certainly would not try upgrading back to a desk-top driver suite, which will most likely not overwrite out, or 'clean install' remove all references to the note-book driver.  You could be in for some bad times...and possibly a total boot failure to your desktop.  

Anyway, thought this important enough to thread it out.

Only, because I used a driver that was not written for my desk-top application, did I think to use a 3rd Party driver scrubber, (which I have never used...ever...when only updating from desk-top, to desk-top certified drivers...) before re-applying the 344.11's...and then finding out that I never had a full-clean install of any driver suite, and that there were artifacts, left over...and impacting the video driver performance in the use of my card.  That I can now O.C. my card even higher, with a full, stable use thereof--->has proved this out.  

From now on...I will use the Guru3D program, before I upgrade to any further releases from nVidia.  It does not damage your system...and in fact...BRINGS YOUR SYTEM, back to proper running, in the video department.  The built-in 'clean installation feature in the nVidia driver suite install program, DOES NOT remove all, and every trace thereof...of REGISTRY entries for prior driver installations.  The Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller....does.

Cheers,

Happy flying....

Yes , the best one out there

I had never used one, thinking all this time that the built-in 'clean install' feature of the nVivia driver installation routine, would have done exactly that.  Nope...lol.  Not at all...

I have always had this 'W7-driver-OC-sensitive' issue with the last 20 updates, whereby if I got a little 'aggressive' in an O.C. on my GTX680, I would at some point, get the BSOD, and that W7 has lost contact with the video driver. I always thought it was the time-out, but adjusted that, and that adjustment seemed to make no difference.  So..I'd back off, until it no longer occurred.  Like I said, I have always gone for the clean install, and never have just 'updated' over the already in-place driver suite.  I just figured that the driver couldn't handle the demand put upon it, by the G.C.  

Only after reading that by using a driver suite not written for, nor intended for your series of card...ie: desktop, vs. the notebook(M) suites...and hacked by the info file to fool the installation routine to loading it out...and what possibly could be happening to your card silicon...as a result...I decided to switch back to the proper, certified driver suite for my desk-top unit, and just wait for the DSR feature, for a certified driver.  I wanted all traces of the notebook driver, ANYWHERE it resided, and the Registry entries...to be fully removed.  I read that just 'cleaning' or installing over a notebook driver on a desktop system, to be a really bad idea, and that's what convinced me to seek out a good, dedicated driver scrubber, blah, blah.

The end result was...and I would have never known this..unless I had tried that DSR note-book hack...and used the Scrubber because of it...was that now...with the proper desk-top driver...I can crank my GTX680, right to the max...and have had no further BSOD and driver disconnects. Not from FSX, P3D, or XPX.    This suggests to me, that there were conflicting artifacts left over by each ah..er...'clean' installation,for gawd knows how far back, and that was the cause of driver disconnects from W7k, because of a confused driver suite installation.  Lesson learned...will always use the scrubber, in  place of the in-house clean install feature for nVidia. I also have disabled the W7 auto-find...so as not to be plagued by it...and try to beat it out, for a manual installation, lol.   I am glad that I tried the DSR hack...for I would have never known...that the nVidia cleaner...did not do a complete job, and you are never too old to learn new usage tricks...

Cheers,

Mitch 

Mitch - Thanks for the heads up on this tool, I have been unable to change or update drivers for a while and I was lost. This tool did the trick and I have finally upgraded to the current nvida drivers.....

Nick

Nick Sciortino

Mitch - Thanks for the heads up on this tool, I have been unable to change or update drivers for a while and I was lost. This tool did the trick and I have finally upgraded to the current nvida drivers.....

Nick

Glad it helped, Nick. 

Happy flyin'...and better yet...happy------------->landings!  :P

Mitch

The best payware is drivercleaner.net been using it for years works perfectly

Rich Sennett

Why is this suddenly a needed tool and procedure?

I guess only if people goof up and do something wrong IMO, otherwise not needed.

I guess only if people goof up and do something wrong IMO, otherwise not needed.

Nope...a video scrubber such as this..digs deep, and completely removes all the file components of any installed driver suite.  I used the 'clean install' check box with each newer driver installation, EXPECTING, that this added routine removed every trace of the prior suite. Well...it doesn't....and you can watch the real-time log file as the GURU3D driver scrubber/uninstaller sniffs out every trace of a driver file on your system/Registry keys...etc...and I had crap from previous installs, that were in places I didn't think the driver suites get placed, lol.   Since using the scrubber, I have no further issues of a random driver disconnect/timing crash, that many, many others also experience (just do a W7 search for driver timing out...) and hope you have plenty of coffee to drink before you read through them all. I believe that everybody that has, or will experience this...is because they have not had a 100 percent removal of every file element of the video driver suite they are replacing with a more current one.  You learn new tricks...and this old dog has for sure.   You can pass this topic right by, if you feel you are by your present M.O....'truly' removing every trace of a prior driver suite.  Cool...but YOU JUST MIGHT NOT BE....(inset a most evil Halloween laugh!)...and you could have problems with your running flight sims...and not even realize that it is because of a jumble of still installed and conflicting video driver files....(again...a positively evil laugh, sound-effect...sound byte... -_- )  Frosty, this is not a 'suddenly' needed procedure, but for myself...was a DISCOVERED need, that is now fulfilled for anything to do with any further into-the-future, nVidia video driver installations....  

Had I not tried the DSR Hack, and then wanted to completely remove all traces of the notebook driver from my system...I would have kept on just trusting the 'clean installation check box on the nVidia driver suite...and NEVER know...(like I had not know for years....dang!) that it in fact does not remove every Key Registry and tracked down file.  I couldn't care less about that now...for (slight evil laugh...) I have my driver-vacuum cleaner ready to now be plugged in...... :lol:

Cheers,

Rich, this GURU3D Driver UnInstaller (latest version) is loaded with features...and man...just watching the real-time log as it gets rid of the cluttered driver junk...can make a user's knees knock....LOLOLOL   For myself, this is a keeper, and I thank the folks at GURU3D for putting this out for the price of a download...

Thanks GURU3D folks....this suite is a gem and works extremely well. Great coding!

Always been needed - nvidia un-install does not clean the registry completely - may not make a huge difference but should be done to be on the safe side any gpu driver guru always cleans the registry

Thanks Mitch for the info - take a look at it Bro

Rich Sennett

Rich - thanks for the tip.

Nick Sciortino

Rich - thanks for the tip.

Hi Nick - your welcome Buddy - its great - few tips - only choose the word nvidia - not the other nvidia descriptions as you do not want to clean your motherboard nvidia drivers - also hit clean and then do it a couple of more times just to be sure - use this just after you uninstall your nvidia video driver from control panel - what I mean is do not reboot until the cleaning - just like going to the dentist just not as fun lol

Rich Sennett

Been using it for a while, and its good stuff. :-)

I do tend to skip Guru3D and get the version direct from the developer, since the latest versions tend to show up there, first. http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Been using it for a while, and its good stuff. :-)

I do tend to skip Guru3D and get the version direct from the developer, since the latest versions tend to show up there, first. http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

This scrubber works for any nVidia release, even the official one from nVidia itself.