Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Three FSX Problems - All Related?

• My load time is up to 9 mins
  • FSX wont shutdown but hangs on the task bar
  • Shutting down the computer is halted by taskhost.exe and needs to be forced

Is taskhost.exe causing this set of problems? Or is it dealing with a corrupted FSX dll ... if I can find out which I might be able to switch it, I copied all the FSX files after I first installed it.

Any help appreciated!!!!

Can't post a link to your topic but do a Google search for taskhost.exe and you

may need to do a Malware scan.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It's hard to tell without any info about your system and FSX / addons, but i'll give it a try:

My load time is up to 9 mins

This could be becouse of scenery addons or fragmentation for example. For scenery, you could use this tool to disable all addon scenery, and enable only sceneries you need for your next flight: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/ This will save some VAS also. 

A defragmentation would be a nice to do and see if FSX is loading faster after that.

FSX wont shutdown but hangs on the task bar

This could be becouse taskhost.exe, but also becouse of FSinn radio tunner for example, or many custom gauges from various addon aircrafts which can't be unloaded properly for some reason. There is a solution for most of them, but i don't know if you are using FSinn, and addons.

Shutting down the computer is halted by taskhost.exe and needs to be forced

Here is a solution by microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975777

Thanks for the helpful reply, I'm running a quad core system with an Nvidia 760 and have FTX Global, a small number of Orbx sceneries and a variety of payware airports.

I took out my newest Orbx scenery (California) and loading time dropped to 5:45 (this is the initial loading, after PC bootup, after that, loading time drops significantly). I discovered a rogue file called lua5.1.dll in the Orbxfolder, and put it back where it belonged in System 32. That seems to allow FSX to shut down normally again.

There' still a force shutdown message, but I had not been running any addons or flights yesterday (unless its a module in FSX - but as I said, this is happening even when I don't fly).

virus check has run. My next step is a defrag this afternoon I think. I will check out the link too, thanks!

Pre SSD my loading times were around 3mins, after installing a SSD its now around 25 seconds ... so worth it, who said you can't buy time!!

Never looked into SSDs, I don't even know how they connect to my PC! I assume I'd have to reinstall everything again onto the SSD .. maybe something to think about when I am 'forced' into a reinstall by events. 

You might want to disable scenery entries which you are not using on your next flight. How many are currently active by the way?

You may also want to add DisablePreload=1 to your fsx.cfg [Main] section since this avoids, well, preloading the default flight in the background (which, with lots of scenery enabled, takes time and VAS for a flight you don't necessarily intend to fly).

As for managing scenery entries, try the free scenery config editor which lets you define groups (e.g. US, Europe, Asia) and then enable/disable them with a single click.

Edited. Seems I'm just repeating the tips from B247NG. Well, they make sense. :smile:

There is an excellent thread with someone measuring loading times with different hard drives, it may be of help.

Great advice everyone, AVSIM is the place to come!! I think I sorted out the problem/s now. 

After finding lua5.1.dll in an Orbx folder and putting it back into Windows, my problem with FSX hanging on the task bar is solved. After leaving the PC to defragment today, while at work, I've checked my loading times and the results are striking.

FSX used to load at 5:45 mins after my two new Orbx regions were removed, today it loaded in 1:50 mins! :) That was straight after a fresh PC boot-up. Coming out of FSX and going back, the game loaded in 55 seconds. Now we're talking!! 

I'll reinstall my two Orbx regions and then record some new loading times. All is well ;)

Quick Update: I reinstalled Orbx PNW plus 5 airports, plus Orbx North California, did another defrag and checking FSX immediately got a depressing load time of 6 mins 50. But after a reboot my initial FSX load time dropped to 1:45. Stunning result. I have set my PC for daily defrag from now on.  From over 9 minutes to 1:45 simply due to a good defrag. Thanks for the advice!

But do not not defragment an SSD drive should you opt for that.