Sign in to follow this  
kramerdc9

FTX Global Scenery Popping

I have also been considering the change, I am unhappy with my current i7 4790k system in FSX, I don't have too high of settings or anything I am not being unreasonable.

Will FTX Global, ASN, PMDG, FS2CREW, REX4 transfer over?

PMDG  forbids the use of its a/c in P3D so you are on your own if you transport them anyway in your new sim. I don't fly PMDG birds so I don't know the technical problems  involved. But I've already seen screenies with the NGX in P3D :wink:  ! OrbX gives you a free installer for Global. I use OPUS but I understand that ASN i compatible.

P3D has its flaws of course but it definitely is a few notches better than FSX.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

My problem is not so much the autogen popping up (It does occasionally) but more so I can see the ground textures getting sharper and sharper under and around my airplane. 

When using GEX and UTX they were always sharp, same thing with Megascenery also. Is there something I can do to get them to load faster or be sharp as the airplane flies over.

Hey Angelo, don't know if your using a ssd but that can help with loading times as well as faster ram. Of course a fast cpu(fsx and p3d loves overclocking) and good gpu is a must. If your using fsx, make sure that HIGHMEMFIX=1 under graphics is in the fsx.cfg(probably knew this already but just thought I'dlist it in case). Without knowing more about your system, I'm afraid this is all I can come up with.

I know some people might disagree with what I'm going to say but if you haven't already, take a look

at Nick N FSX BIBLE. Took along time to go through, but well worth the time and effort. It has saved

me the frustration of getting FSX configured right. Just my .02cents worth. Hope this helps. -Cheers

OK, good that it is not the textures ! By good I mean this is not your computer which is behaving :wink: but, as said earlier by me and others, what you see is a well known flaw of FSX and there's not much that you can do about it. I flew FSX without Global and had, like anybody my share of it.  Autogen pops up in waves with your aircraft moving forward. 

I fly P3D now with Global 1.30 (actually I fly mostly OrbX "fat" regions but wanted Global for the PNG addon and few other places) and Lockheed Martin has fixed that flaw. This is the only fix that I know: shifting to P3D.  A 60 bucks fix.

P3D shadowing is indeed nice but you can also, at last, use the full power of your DX11 graphic card, Smoothier flying. even with the sliders to the right (well, most of them) something FSX won't allow (even if the Dx10 fixer helps a lot to this end). If you want a taste of Prepar3D, you can buy it for a 60 day trial and get your money back if you're not happy.  I come to the end of my trial period and won't get back to FSX. I've been simming for 35 years so I think I know when a simulator is better than its predecessor :smile:  ! Prepard 3D is a great evolution of FSX so you are on known ground. No crash (crossing the fingers here)  but not every addon is however compatible. You can easily check whether your stuff is compatible in the dedicated forums.

As for your registration at Orbx. I wouldn't know. I registered 4 years ago and don't remember having been validated . Check your mail Junk bin, your spam filter may have redirected it there. If not you may shoot an email to one of the adminitrators (forum index page, bottom right "the moderating team" link)

Hey domkle, thanks for the input into P3D. Your tempting me into getting the program. Just like

yourself, I have been simming since 1985 when there was sublogic and I believe the 1st Microsoft flight

sim. So I'll take your word of advice that P3D is a better program based on your experience. As far as

Orbx forums, I contacted someone with a physical email address and he has been helping me. I still

can't get into them. In fact, the last time I tried to log on, I wasn't even identified which makes

me believe there is something wrong on their end. I'm sure it will be worked out. Again, thanks for

your help and words of advice.

P.S. -I'll take the pipe out when I enter Orbx forums.

I do have Highmemfix inserted and I can switch my setup to an SSD, but that would probably just improve load times, I do have a 64gb SSD cache drive so essentially its pretty much the same. 

What else would you need to know about my system?

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in here, but has anyone tried setting the LOD radius to 5.5 or 6.5

It may help to limit the popping in FSX but not getting rid of it completely unfortunately.

Hope this helps, it's worth a try.