Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

Favourite Plane Right Now

Tried the A2a Cherokee and I don't know how you guys like it so much. It seems slower than the Cessna because at 8000 feet I could only get 108 knots (120mph) and booo to the ancient autopilot unit too.

Feel There ERJ-175/195 and the Carenado Cessna 340.

haha. Yeah, I like both GA and airliners.

Bout to start on the Aerosoft Airbus and start getting into the Carenado C182T I just scooped up.

Tried the A2a Cherokee and I don't know how you guys like it so much. It seems slower than the Cessna because at 8000 feet I could only get 108 knots (120mph) and booo to the ancient autopilot unit too.

Why do we like the Cherokee?  Because it is a nice stable flying airplane that really lets us focus on the little (but important) things in flying and simulate being an aircraft owner.

With speed mods and proper leaning, you should get about 130mph TAS out of the Cherokee.  True, the Cherokee it is not a speed demon, it's not supposed to be, it is supposed to be a nice stable training airplane made for first time airplane owners, which is where the aircraft ownership accusim stuff makes it and the 172 shine.  If you are looking for fast X-country, the Civil P-51 and RealAir Legacy are fantastic for that.  

That old autopilot is one of its nice features, it makes you actually fly the plane, since the AP is really only good for giving your arm a break while in cruise.    :BigGrin:  The Cherokee modeled is 50 year old airplane, you would be lucky to find a real one that even has an A/P, most don't.  A Cherokee with a fancy autopilot would be like a driving an old 1980s Toyota Camry with a GPS and backup camera lol. 

The Cherokee is such a nice stable plane to fly by hand anyway, I could fly approaches all day in it.  Being that the Cherokee isn't a speed demon, with a limited AP, it is an excellent platform to practice IFR work.

Cheers

TJ

Why do we like the Cherokee? Because it is a nice stable flying airplane that really lets us focus on the little (but important) things in flying and simulate being an aircraft owner.

With speed mods and proper leaning, you should get about 130mph TAS out of the Cherokee. True, the Cherokee it is not a speed demon, it's not supposed to be, it is supposed to be a nice stable training airplane made for first time airplane owners, which is where the aircraft ownership accusim stuff makes it and the 172 shine. If you are looking for fast X-country, the Civil P-51 and RealAir Legacy are fantastic for that.

That old autopilot is one of its nice features, it makes you actually fly the plane, since the AP is really only good for giving your arm a break while in cruise. :BigGrin: The Cherokee modeled is 50 year old airplane, you would be lucky to find a real one that even has an A/P, most don't. A Cherokee with a fancy autopilot would be like a driving an old 1980s Toyota Camry with a GPS and backup camera lol.

The Cherokee is such a nice stable plane to fly by hand anyway, I could fly approaches all day in it. Being that the Cherokee isn't a speed demon, with a limited AP, it is an excellent platform to practice IFR work.

I flew from NJ to near St. Louis, MO in one, round trip RW...the entire trip by hand.  The autopilot was busted.  True story.

On the other hand, I'd have much rather done it in an A36, Mooney or BE58 (hint, hint A2A...hint, hint).

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

GA: A2A Cub Tundra, Farichild 24 on floats

Jets: BAE146, Albatros

Military: A2A P-47, Aircraft Factory Albatros DIII

At the moment (it changes a lot) :-

VFR:  Alabeo 207, Carenado PC-12, Carenado PA46-350 Malibu, A2A C172 and PA28, MV C310R (with GTN750)

IFR:   PMDG JS41 (really back in to that at the mo), NGX, AS A319, Q400, 777. 

but it can be anything, last night I bought 3 new Orbx PNW airfields and went flying between them in the old Carenado C182Q, and thoroughly enjoyed this old bird again.   It flies great.    Carenado PC-12 is definitely their best ever product, with the PA46 Malibu as runner up.    PMDG still the best overall quality.

I would fly the A2A C172 and PA28 a lot more but truthfully, I've been simming for 10 years and just cannot land these 2 well at all !! :smile:

Benneton I agree with you the a2a planes are not easy to land but everyone agrees that they are on point to the real ones. I'm always bouncing in the Cessna and I'm trying to like the piper but it just feels like I'm heading backwards flying an old plane like that. Carenado planes have always been good but what makes the PC-12 the best?

Very difficult to pick a single favorite, especially since it's often like comparing apples and oranges.

For me it's a tossup between the RA Legacy and the Duke. I will not be surprised if the T-Duke V2 will break the tie, especially with the F1 GTN added in.

Right now I'm learning to fly the PMDG NGX. It's not the pure fun of the above aircraft but wow the depth and detail is incredible.

Barry Friedman

For me it's a tossup between the RA Legacy and the Duke. I will not be surprised if the T-Duke V2 will break the tie, especially with the F1 GTN added in.

Except that they're also doing an update of the Legacy with GTN support as well.  Might make the tie a tie again. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Except that they're also doing an update of the Legacy with GTN support as well.  Might make the tie a tie again

Oh noes, I just can't quit the Legacy! LOL

Barry Friedman

Benneton I agree with you the a2a planes are not easy to land but everyone agrees that they are on point to the real ones. I'm always bouncing in the Cessna and I'm trying to like the piper but it just feels like I'm heading backwards flying an old plane like that. Carenado planes have always been good but what makes the PC-12 the best?

Yes I'm bouncing like crazy in the A2A C172 ! ... My speeds are probably off but it still feels unnaturally hard to land smoothly.  Very floaty but if people say it's true to life, I'll go with that.    I'm the opposite with Carenado, I've been fed up with their sloppiness and very bugged releases for the last couple of years, but the PC-12 is a gamechanger for Carenado in my opinion.  It is still bugged and does need Bert Pieke's mods to make it polished (especially the autopilot) but after that it's a real beauty.

Really love the Milviz 310.   Go to it VERY often!

Stan

Aerosoft A318/319, because they just put so much into it. (I know it's not retro, but you need some perspective to appreciate the retro sometimes.)

Getting back in to Coolsky's DC-9, I recently bought the freighter expansion for it and all. It's one of those planes I've spent the most time on. I'm trying to get in to the Majestic Q400 also because I used to fly FlyJSim's Q400 in X-Plane 10 like crazy. Unfortunately it has an FMC and I'm allergic to those. Also flying the A2A Cherokee of course, and the newly released L-13 Blanik glider by A1R Design Bureau, yes I have a taste for the exotic.