Sign in to follow this  
flyultimate

Appreciation for Nvidia AA Workaround

I'm kind of jumping in here but if it makes no discernable difference why would he have seen such a difference?  And, if it does do something, would these settings make any differences for FSX and/or FS9 as well?

I'm not stating observations, they are facts about DX9, DX10, and DX11. It was the SGSSAA setting responsible for the AA, not the Antialiasing-Mode and Antialiasing-Setting, they are for DX9.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi, Gemelli,

You are correct, I will NOT be using those settings for DX10.

There are settings in Nvidia Inspector that work specifically for DX10.

I have had DX10 working beautifully, until something went wrong with an Nvidia Driver update. That brought about the completely new clean install of system software, etc.

Just have been too lazy to go back and set DX10 back up. I really do like DX9 as it is, though.

I have been spending way too much time trying to get P3D to look somewhat acceptable. And, then, Brian comes along and fixes the whole mess up!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi, Carob,

FSX will run nicely on your new system.

Just be sure to update your system software completely, using Windows Update, before installing FSX or FS9.

I don't know about NI and FS9 at all, but if you use the NI settings for FSX, you should see some pretty amazing graphics.

Running it as DX9 or DX10?  Or does it matter?

Can you also post the link to the original AA fix topic you mentioned in your first post?

Even if I get all of this I'm not sure what I should set things to.  I guess that's a bigger problem, eh?

Hi, Carob,

No, it really isn't that big of a problem.

Here is the original post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/429212-aa-workaround-for-nvidia-cards/

DX9 is completely satisfactory with me. But, I like the visuals, albeit not as much of an improvement for me, with DX10. That's why I have basically stuck to DX9.

DX11 is a different thing. I really love the visuals here. But, I have pulled out my hair trying to get out the problems until Brian's post. Now, what joy.

Hi, Carob,

No, it really isn't that big of a problem.

Here is the original post:

DX9 is completely satisfactory with me. But, I like the visuals, albeit not as much of an improvement for me, with DX10. That's why I have basically stuck to DX9.

DX11 is a different thing. I really love the visuals here. But, I have pulled out my hair trying to get out the problems until Brian's post. Now, what joy.

So if DX11 is installed, and the DX10 box in FSX is not checked, is the application using DX11 or DX 9?

FSX uses DX9, or DX10 if you selected DX10 preview. P3Dv2 uses DX11.

Hi, AviatorBimmer,

Here is the post:

I used Brian's last posting for his current settings.

I sure hope that they work as well for you as they have for me.

It's produced what should have been from the very start!

Thanks Jim, gonna give it a shot because the shimmering is really driving me nuts!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Hi, Steve,

You don't have to repeat yourself, unless it's something you specifically want to do.

It doesn't make a bit of difference whether anyone says that it does or does not work.

What does make a difference is the end result from implementing the settings that Brian came up with and watching the problems be gone.

To have...FINALLY...a crisp, jaggy-free, clean lined aircraft to fly through the sky instead of a jaggy-saturated, shimmering monstrosity.

P3D has never looked so good. And, I have Brian to thank for it. He submitted a set of settings for Nvidia Inspector that works...for me.

Take out one of the settings that Brian recommends, and it doesn't work.

Simple.

The following aircraft are installed, and each of them are now more exceedingly free of jaggies and shimmering:

Iris

Carenado

Alabeo

A2A

Captain Sim

TDS

I was disgusted with the end results of just the settings found in P3D. Just using Nvidia Control Panel was not satisfactory. It wasn't until using Brian's settings in Nvidia Inspector that a nearly complete elimination of jaggies and the elimination of shimmering completely has come about.

You sure are welcome, AviatorBimmer.

Getting rid of the shimmering, and more specifically, the major reduction in jaggies, is a blessing.

Thank goodness someone came up with these settings.

I had given up. Flying only FSX, since the Nvidia Inspector settings for FSX produced a superior end result.

Now, back into the world of P3D and developing more scenarios with more realism.

Hopefully, some day, all will be working properly and the need for tweaking will be minimized.

Like I said, at the risk of repeating myself, I sure hope the settings work as well for you as they have for me!

I seem to be repeating myself hehe.

What's so hard to understand? Antialiasing-Mode and Antialiasing-Setting are for DX9, and Transparency Multisampling & Transparency Supersampling are for use in DX10 and DX11. Plus not all planes in DX10 and DX11 need Sparse Grid. :lol:

I seem to be repeating myself hehe.

What's so hard to understand? Antialiasing-Mode and Antialiasing-Setting are for DX9, and Transparency Multisampling & Transparency Supersampling are for use in DX10 and DX11. Plus not all planes in DX10 and DX11 need Sparse Grid. :lol:

Because we're following two different threads talking about similiar items.

And adding your last sentenance is another reason why.  For people who don't know what Anti-aliasing and Transparency Multi blah blah blah are, it's quite confusing.

You see, I'm not debating the friendly leg up the OP got from his mate, and which he showed much gratitude, which was nice. I was merely pointing out that it was the SGSS in his circumstance that led to the improvement in AA, and not the Antialiasing-Setting (which is for DX9). As such I cannot see why my post should attract such mysticism, when it attempts to enlighten in the same leg up matee way the OPs mate gave. It's explained reasonably well in the link, for non-techies.

Hi, AviatorBimmer,

Graphics:

FXAA - OFF

MSAA - 4 Samples

Texture Filtering - 16X

Texture Resolution - Medium

VSync - OFF

Target Frame Rate - 30

Scenery:

Terrain:

MAX

ULTRA

2M

15CM

Land Detail Textures - Checked

Scenery Objects:

Dense

Normal

Dense

Water Detail:

Water - High

Reflections - Clouds, User Vehicle

Special Effects Detail - High

Special Effects Distance - Medium

Lighting:

Nothing checked under lighting

Shadows:

Ultra

Enable Terrain to Receive Shadows - Checked

0M

0M

3000M

Internal and External Vehicle - Cast and Receive

Weather:

Cloud Draw Distance - 80NM

Volumetric Fog - Checked

Detailed Clouds - Selected

Cloud Coverage Density - High

Rate of Weather Change - None

Traffic:

Nothing Selected (I have always flown without any additional traffic, except in Multi-Player or the Real World)

All of the Realism Settings are comparable to Real World flying.

I monitor my FPS occasionally and it very seldom drops below 30FPS.

I once read an article on nVidia AA settings and the consensus was that less than 1/2 of them had any affect at all and of those only 2 looked good.  

I'll probably ditch AA, or most of it when I get a driver that supports DSR.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png