Sign in to follow this  
flyultimate

Appreciation for Nvidia AA Workaround

This is in response to finding the AA fix topic that was started by Flying01 (Brian Riggs), December, 2013.

I have set Nvidia Inspector to the recommended settings that you came up with. As a result, my P3D installation looks BETTER than it has ever looked.

My Profile:

ASUS Crossfire V MB, AMD FX-8350 CPU, EVGA 580GTX, 16G Corsair 1333 Memory, 50" Panasonic Plasma Display, Prepar3d P3D V2.4, REX Plus Essentials for weather, REX 4 for textures, and a lot of incredible FTX ORBX scenery.

Nearly all of the sliders are set to MAX in P3D, and averaging 30FPS in every area flown to date.

Nearly all of the jaggies and shimmering is gone. For an estimated improvement number, I would say nearly a 95% improvement factor overall.

Any aircraft used prior to applying your settings were unsightly to look at. What with the jaggies being so prevalent.

Your settings were what the doctor ordered and I personally appreciate what you shared with us.

P64oO.jpg

uGa9D.jpg

6QbJt.jpg

Both screenshots have not been retouched.

With apologies, I don't have any shots of the Lear prior to implementing your settings. All of the horrendous screenshots were discarded due to disgust.

And, since setting up Nvidia Inspector per your recommendations, I am not going to change what works!

Brian, you have certainly brought the pleasure of P3D back for this guy!

Thank you.

Jim

Antialiasing-Mode and Antialiasing-Setting make no discernable difference in DX10 or DX11, irrespective of Antialiasing Compatibility setting. Only the two Transparency settings work in thess cases. Also, the Sparse Grid setting is required only for some aircraft. Read more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "P3D Tips and Tricks" to "The Prepar3d General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I'm kind of jumping in here but if it makes no discernable difference why would he have seen such a difference?  And, if it does do something, would these settings make any differences for FSX and/or FS9 as well?

Thanks Steve for your input.

I can't argue with you about any aspect of what you are noting.

It's just that, with every possible combination of trying to fix P3D, what Brian came up with worked.

I'll gladly except his solution to the AA problems over anyone elses as I see, as I remarked initally, some 95% improvement in the final results.

Granted, I'm not an expert at what you have responded to, but, that aside, I will just use Brian's settings and be extremely satisfied with what I am seeing.

Sorry that NI doesn't work for some, but it sure does for me. The proof is replicatable, and irrefutable, as the screenshots attest and affirm.

Not only for the Lear, but for each of the other aircraft I have tested so far.

If anyone else uses Brian's NI settings, and obtains the incredible results that I have, GREAT!

I am in total agreement with you, Carob.

NI works for me in both FSX and P3D.

I suppose for those of us who have success with NI, we can count our blessings.

Also, does it matter the version of DX that's installed?  What do you have flyultimate?

On that note, I'm setting up a new system to fly on and haven't installed any sims yet (FS9 and FSX will be installed).  Currently DX11 is on it and I assume that came from the Nvidia drives I installed.  Should I leave DX11 there or should DX10 or DX9 be put on instead?

Carob, I'm running DX9 with FSX. I have bounced back and forth with DX10 and really like DX10 with FSX. It's just trying to tweak it out.

Looks like a purchase of Steve's DX10 fixer is coming up soon.

I'm using DX11 with P3D, and it requires it.

Brian's settings in Nvidia Inspector for P3D has made me truly love working with P3D again.

After just finishing a Lesson Plan development with P3D, the scenery and aircraft are nearly flawless.

Almost no stuttering, nearly all of the jaggies are gone, and no more shimmering with DX11.

You said you're running DX9 but then say you like DX10.  I'm confused.

What is DX10 fixer?

FSX is native DX9, with the option of running the "DEMO" DX10.

DX10 has had some issues, and an outstanding fellow put together fixes for it.

Then, after some time, he developed a program that can be purchased to really get down to the meat of the matter and resolve quite a few FSX DX10 issues in FSX.

To date, I have only really used DX9 in FSX and have been extremely satisfied with it.

Experimenting with DX10 is like everything else. You see things in it that look great and want to dig deeper into it.

Just to be clear, FSX can be ran either in DX9 or, by selecting the option, DX10.

So are the tweaks you talk about in your first post here with NI what needs to be done or is there more?

The settings that Brian came up with in Nvidia Inspector works for P3D V2.4 on my system.

There are just a couple of changes to the Prepar3d.cfg file that help. From what I have learned and used, some settings added to the .cfg are system specific, such as:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=254

Your processor may be different and require a different AffinityMask setting. Whether the tweak is placed into P3D or FSX, it is different for different processors.

Take the time to read as much as you can from different folks on how they have set up their systems. Find a system set-up that is comparible to yours and test out the settings that are recommended. What is true and working for one system may not be appropriate for another system.

But, comparible systems generally can use the same settings to obtain outstanding results.

This is a screenshot of the Nvidia Inspector settings I use with success for FSX:

KrnfM.jpg

These settings give me the absolute best end result in clarity in FSX.

Sure hope this helps.

The settings that Brian came up with in Nvidia Inspector works for P3D V2.4 on my system.

There are just a couple of changes to the Prepar3d.cfg file that help. From what I have learned and used, some settings added to the .cfg are system specific, such as:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=254

Your processor may be different and require a different AffinityMask setting. Whether the tweak is placed into P3D or FSX, it is different for different processors.

Take the time to read as much as you can from different folks on how they have set up their systems. Find a system set-up that is comparible to yours and test out the settings that are recommended. What is true and working for one system may not be appropriate for another system.

But, comparible systems generally can use the same settings to obtain outstanding results.

This is a screenshot of the Nvidia Inspector settings I use with success for FSX:

KrnfM.jpg

These settings give me the absolute best end result in clarity in FSX.

Sure hope this helps.

Not even sure where to begin now.  The system is Windows 7 64-bit, core 2 3.0, 6GB RAM, Nvidia 750 video card.  I know FSX won't run that well on it but that will be more of a setup area for helping my father with his new system.  Adding scenery, aircraft, etc. before sending things up to him to install.

Hi, Gemelli,

You are correct, I will NOT be using those settings for DX10.

There are settings in Nvidia Inspector that work specifically for DX10.

I have had DX10 working beautifully, until something went wrong with an Nvidia Driver update. That brought about the completely new clean install of system software, etc.

Just have been too lazy to go back and set DX10 back up. I really do like DX9 as it is, though.

I have been spending way too much time trying to get P3D to look somewhat acceptable. And, then, Brian comes along and fixes the whole mess up!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi, Carob,

FSX will run nicely on your new system.

Just be sure to update your system software completely, using Windows Update, before installing FSX or FS9.

I don't know about NI and FS9 at all, but if you use the NI settings for FSX, you should see some pretty amazing graphics.