Sign in to follow this  
Carob

DX11, DX10, DX9

Hello.

I am setting up a new Windows 7 system to fly on using both FS9 and FSX and am hoping someone can answer a question for me.

From what I understand DX11 is installed as part of Windows 7, and can't be removed, but it is missing some pieces of the older version of DX and by itself FSX (and probably FS9) has issues.  The last entry in this thread...  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/how-do-you-uninstall-directx-and-install-an/e74be449-8438-4b30-9be6-e2476dd90183?page=2 is kind of interesting and I'm wondering if this is necessary?

Can anyone help me out here?

Carob,

DX11 is the latest, but, with that installation, normally you will also have DX9 and DX10 installed within the package.

So, if you install either or both FS9 and/or FSX, the DX() packages will already be available to you.

That is how it worked with my OS update following a clean system install. I did a complete re-install of everything just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Didn't like Windows 8.

Carob,

DX11 is the latest, but, with that installation, normally you will also have DX9 and DX10 installed within the package.

So, if you install either or both FS9 and/or FSX, the DX() packages will already be available to you.

That is how it worked with my OS update following a clean system install. I did a complete re-install of everything just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Didn't like Windows 8.

Strange.  Then I wonder what they guy is talking about in the thread I posted.  Why he would say that wasn't the case and he had to do the extra step because the version of DX that gets installed with Windows 7 wasn't enough.

If I recall correctly, he was referring specifically to the fact that Nvidia Inspector does not work, or does not work completely, with DX.

There have been a great number of folks who have said that Nvidia Inspector is "just a placebo".

Well, that "placebo" works for me with both FSX and P3D.

When I take out the NI settings, the aircraft look terrible.

When I put the NI settings back in, the aircraft looks outstanding.

Now, thats a placebo I can live with.

Hello.

I am setting up a new Windows 7 system to fly on using both FS9 and FSX and am hoping someone can answer a question for me.

From what I understand DX11 is installed as part of Windows 7, and can't be removed, but it is missing some pieces of the older version of DX and by itself FSX (and probably FS9) has issues.  The last entry in this thread...  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/how-do-you-uninstall-directx-and-install-an/e74be449-8438-4b30-9be6-e2476dd90183?page=2 is kind of interesting and I'm wondering if this is necessary?

Can anyone help me out here?

IMHO you should run the end-user DirectX runtime installer.  If something is missing it will install, if not it does nothing.  Same thing with the Visual C / C++ runtime libraries installers.

scott s.

If I recall correctly, he was referring specifically to the fact that Nvidia Inspector does not work, or does not work completely, with DX.

There have been a great number of folks who have said that Nvidia Inspector is "just a placebo".

Well, that "placebo" works for me with both FSX and P3D.

When I take out the NI settings, the aircraft look terrible.

When I put the NI settings back in, the aircraft looks outstanding.

Now, thats a placebo I can live with.

This new(er) system that I'm setting up is also running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm trying to figure out if I need to do anything extra or not.  Even to get FS9 and FSX to install.  The guy in the thread I posted said he had to run the runtime installer but you are saying you didn't?

And either way I guess, once the programs are installed, since it will have DX11 on it, because it can't be removed, does the NI stuff still come into play?  Also, can't you control those same things with a section of the Nvidia Control Panel somewhere?

I will agree with Scott.

But, I will tell you that when I performed a clean install of Windows 7, I did not run anything other than Windows Update. Not just once, but until every update was installed from Microsoft.

Only then, when there were no further updates from Windows Update did I initiate installing FSX.

I did not do any other DirectX runtime installations or Visual C/C+ installations.

FSX runs flawlessly, as does P3D.

And, yes, you can set settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. But, not every setting is in the Control Panel. That is where Nvidia Inspector comes into use.

I used, at the suggestion of several well-intended suggestions, the Control Panel instead of Nvidia Inspector. And, the end result was better, but the aircraft still suffered from jaggies and shimmering. In both FSX and P3D.

So, it became obvious that the Control Panel did not have what was needed to clean up what I didn't want to see in either FSX or P3D. A new download and install of Nvidia Inspector, followed by setting up the settings as recommended for both FSX and P3D solved the absolute majority of issues.

When I launched FSX and P3D respectively, it was jaw-dropping how much of an improvement there was.

Thanks to the settings provided by both of the individuals that shared their findings. And, there settings work for me.

I can't tell you why as I am not as well versed with game settings as I am other things. But, when the end result is so noticeable, it becomes a mute point to argue whether or not a program does or does not work.

I will agree with Scott.

But, I will tell you that when I performed a clean install of Windows 7, I did not run anything other than Windows Update. Not just once, but until every update was installed from Microsoft.

Only then, when there were no further updates from Windows Update did I initiate installing FSX.

I did not do any other DirectX runtime installations or Visual C/C+ installations.

FSX runs flawlessly, as does P3D.

And, yes, you can set settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. But, not every setting is in the Control Panel. That is where Nvidia Inspector comes into use.

I used, at the suggestion of several well-intended suggestions, the Control Panel instead of Nvidia Inspector. And, the end result was better, but the aircraft still suffered from jaggies and shimmering. In both FSX and P3D.

So, it became obvious that the Control Panel did not have what was needed to clean up what I didn't want to see in either FSX or P3D. A new download and install of Nvidia Inspector, followed by setting up the settings as recommended for both FSX and P3D solved the absolute majority of issues.

When I launched FSX and P3D respectively, it was jaw-dropping how much of an improvement there was.

Thanks to the settings provided by both of the individuals that shared their findings. And, there settings work for me.

I can't tell you why as I am not as well versed with game settings as I am other things. But, when the end result is so noticeable, it becomes a mute point to argue whether or not a program does or does not work.

So when you run dxdiag it says DX11 then, right?

Do you have different settings for FSX vx P3D?  I won't be using P3D but would be interested to know.

Also, the screen shot that you had for FSX didn't make it through it looks like.

Also again, in case I want to check it out, where do I find the NI?

That is correct. When I check dxdiag, it confirms that DX11 is installed.

Yes, the settings are different for FSX and for P3D.

I'll try the FSX NI screenshot again:

KrnfM.jpg

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

So how do you switch between them?  You have to manually do something before starting the application?

Looks like the screen shot didn't work again.  Is it the same as you first posted in http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453513-appreciation-for-nvidia-aa-workaround/#entry3095648?

I don't know why you can't see the image. It shows up fine for me in this forum.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/aWs

When you launch NI, you will select, by pressing a button on the right side of the control panel, the Driver Profile Settings.

From a drop-down list, select the profile you wish to create, such as "MS Flight Simulator X".

In that selected profile is where you will set up the settings for FSX.

Be sure to save the settings. And, any time you update your video card driver, you will need to re-set your NI settings. I save and export the profile(s) that I have created into my documents folder by using the export button at the top in Nvidia Inspector. That way, following the driver installation, I just import back into NI my saved profile settings.

I don't know why you can't see the image. It shows up fine for me in this forum.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/aWs

When you launch NI, you will select, by pressing a button on the right side of the control panel, the Driver Profile Settings.

From a drop-down list, select the profile you wish to create, such as "MS Flight Simulator X".

In that selected profile is where you will set up the settings for FSX.

Be sure to save the settings. And, any time you update your video card driver, you will need to re-set your NI settings. I save and export the profile(s) that I have created into my documents folder by using the export button at the top in Nvidia Inspector. That way, following the driver installation, I just import back into NI my saved profile setting.

But then after the profile(s) is created...  Do you have to select which profile to use before launching the particular application or does it know somehow to automatically use the settings created when the particular application is opened?  There was a tool a long time ago that would do that but I don't know if this is the same.

The point is; read the article if you want to unravel the dark mystery that is AA and NI.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com