Sign in to follow this  
Carob

DX11, DX10, DX9

Hi Carob,

I've just finished installing a new W7 64bit copy - I think you only need to worry if a program crashes telling you that a .dll is missing - this happened to me when running my Elite Dangerous beta for the first time on this PC - told me I was missing the dxinput1_3.dll file.  I then went to the MS update site and found the DX web-based runtime installer (or something like that).  Let it do it's magic and no more crashes - runs like a charm.

Just about to install P3D 2.4, and my addons hope it goes as smoothly!

Regards.

Paul Davies.

Hi, Simjockey,

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Uninstalled everything, completely formatted all of the drives, and did a clean install of Windows 7.

Let Windows Update update everything, and after some 20 updates, one after the other, it said there were no more updates.

After installing FSX, she ran beautifully. Not a single problem. Imported the NI settings that were saved, and she looks and runs like a scalded dog!

P3D 2.4, on my system, looked terrible with jaggies and shimmering. Much worse than 2.2 or 2.3.

I found a post by Brian Riggs using NI, set up a P3D profile per his settings, and couldn't believe the difference. It was remarkable.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/429212-aa-workaround-for-nvidia-cards/

If you run into unworkable jaggies or shimmering, give this a try. Hope it works.

Cheers,

Jim

But then after the profile(s) is created...  Do you have to select which profile to use before launching the particular application or does it know somehow to automatically use the settings created when the particular application is opened?  There was a tool a long time ago that would do that but I don't know if this is the same.

The older tool I was talking about was called nHancer.  Is NI just a newer version of that?  Kinda seems that way.

Good Morning, Carob,

I looked at nHancer years ago, but didn't do anything with it. After finding Nvidia Inspector (from a recommendation in a post), I pretty much have stuck with it.

NI works great with both FSX and P3D.

Good Morning, Carob,

I looked at nHancer years ago, but didn't do anything with it. After finding Nvidia Inspector (from a recommendation in a post), I pretty much have stuck with it.

NI works great with both FSX and P3D.

Does it not work with FS9 or are you just not sure?  I'm not sure why it wouldn't but I don't know.

Yes, version 1.9.7.3 NI has a profile in the drop down list "MS Flight Simulator 2004".

From the main NI panel, you will click on the icon of that shows a "Wrench and Screwdriver", in line with the Driver Version.

When the main Profile page is finished loading, you will be able to go the the drop down list and select the name of the profile you want to make your settings to.

As a clarifaction, FSX installs DX9.0.C itself so should be no problems.

P3D also installs DX9.0c provided you install using the setup.exe and not the prepar3d.msi file

As a clarifaction, FSX installs DX9.0.C itself so should be no problems.

P3D also installs DX9.0c provided you install using the setup.exe and not the prepar3d.msi file

It probably won't if it detects a newer version already exists though, will it?  Or does DX not work that way?

FSX will install DX9.0c on a Win7 pc that already had DX11 with no problems.

If you look around in directx files you will see thee are many copies of the same dll file, but with different version numbers.  I guess MS did this so newer versions wouldn't break older programs.  Programs load specific versions of the dlls.  The directx installer that is bundled to run with many program installers including FSX looks to see if any of those version files are missing and then copies them over if they are.  From what I've seen a Win7 install copies of all the files that FSX needs, but it doesn't hurt to run the directx installer just in case.  At least in my experience the installer leaves behind a directx.log file in C:\Windows that shows what it did.

scott s.

Win7 install copies of all the files that FSX needs

It doesn't. DX11 only goes as for back as DX 9.1. It doesn't support DX 9.0 C.

That is why Prepar3d 2.x setup.exe includes DX9.0 C. If yopu use Prepar3d's prepar3d.msi on a clean Win7 then Prepare2 2.x won't run, complaining about absence of DX 9.0 C.

The DX 9.0 C end-user runtime is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429

It doesn't. DX11 only goes as for back as DX 9.1. It doesn't support DX 9.0 C.

That is why Prepar3d 2.x setup.exe includes DX9.0 C. If yopu use Prepar3d's prepar3d.msi on a clean Win7 then Prepare2 2.x won't run, complaining about absence of DX 9.0 C.

The DX 9.0 C end-user runtime is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429

But that's only needed for P3D?  FSX installs the necessary components but P3D doesn't?

As Gerry said, the setup.exe file for Prepar3D will install DirectX 9.0C. The prepar3d.msi file will not install DirectX 9.0C. This is due to the fact that setup.exe files can check for prerequisites that simple msi files will not, hence when you run the exe, it will detect the absence of DX9.0C and install it. The msi file, which cannot check for that, will not.

To chime in on the original topic, I've never had a DirectX issue with Win7 and FSX, it installs the appropriate version and runs. They were really going on a tangent in that original topic you linked; as stated already, DirectX 9.1+ is contained within DirectX 11, and if the program requires DX9.0C or less, any decent software package will have an installer prerequisite check and will install the older version, which coexists with Windows 7 without issue. And, if for some reason the software doesn't install the older version automatically, just grab the runtime, like what Gerry linked for DX9.0C.

Basically, I don't worry about DX issues unless they come up (which they haven't for me, yet). MS did a pretty good job with DX compatibility.

As Gerry said, the setup.exe file for Prepar3D will install DirectX 9.0C. The prepar3d.msi file will not install DirectX 9.0C. This is due to the fact that setup.exe files can check for prerequisites that simple msi files will not, hence when you run the exe, it will detect the absence of DX9.0C and install it. The msi file, which cannot check for that, will not.

To chime in on the original topic, I've never had a DirectX issue with Win7 and FSX, it installs the appropriate version and runs. They were really going on a tangent in that original topic you linked; as stated already, DirectX 9.1+ is contained within DirectX 11, and if the program requires DX9.0C or less, any decent software package will have an installer prerequisite check and will install the older version, which coexists with Windows 7 without issue. And, if for some reason the software doesn't install the older version automatically, just grab the runtime, like what Gerry linked for DX9.0C.

Basically, I don't worry about DX issues unless they come up (which they haven't for me, yet). MS did a pretty good job with DX compatibility.

Well taking another tagent then :rolleyes: , .NET is not that way right?  I read that EditVoicepack 3.1 needs to have the original .NET 1.1 installed in additon to MS has available now or it won't work.  Do you know if that's true?

On a very technical level, you are correct for some versions. 4.5 contains 4.0, 3.5 contains 3.0 and 2.0, and 1.1 is its own package.

However - .NET is included as OS components in Windows 7 and above, meaning you don't have to install them as separate runtime packages. Windows 7 contains all versions up to 3.5 except 1.1. Beware though: with Windows 8, even though you don't have to install anything at the moment since the latest version is 4.5 (and it's built in), it does not support .NET 1.1. The earliest it supports is 2.0 because it has 3.5 built in.

So, in essence, with Windows 7, no, you don't need to install 1.1 because it's built in. With Vista and lower, you do. With Windows 8 and 7, you can't. 

Edit: made a mistake in my original post, corrections indicated with underline.

Edited by PookyMacMan