Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Movie and TV studios, please by PMDG

I don't think you can fly inverted with a 747 or A380.

Ha! I'm sure you can. I didn't say it'd be good for the plane, though.  :lol:

You know what I couldn't stand, was when they created a fusion a380 for the James Bond movie with Daniel Craig. I could stand looking at that thing. :Black Eye:

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

What about Flight Plan with the accessible cargo hold, huge E-and-E bay, and the attic?

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I am currently watching Tommy Boy. I just watched the airplane scene, and I was happily surprised to see a Lockheed 1011 Tristar. Then, when they were loading, and also when they were taxiing, it was a 747. And there was a third plane too! The inside of the plane was not a Tristar or a 747! I'm not sure what it was, but the fact that that movie had three planes when they were always in the same plane is pretty pathetic. This is just another movie that fell victim to the film crew not paying attention to the plane they were using.

From what I have read, the crash in flight was loosely based around Alaska flight 261, unfortunately unlike Denzil Washington, the captain was unable to save the flight. So flying upside down, maybe. Flying upside down with a stricken plane, not likely. 

That's not necessarily true. Does anybody else remember Federal Express Flight 705? The plane may not have been damaged, but the crew was. However, because of the speed the crew made the plane go while attempting to disarm Calloway (the hijacker), it ended up getting damaged during the flight. I know for sure that the Captain turned the plane to such an extent that it was as close to being inverted as possible so that he could still see out of the window. That plane landed safely, and everybody survived.

I don't think you can fly inverted with a 747 or A380.

The plane that was used for FedEx Flight 705 was either a DC-10 or an MD-11. I'm guessing that it was a DC-10 due to the time that the incident happened.

Richmond F.

It was a DC10. The other details are kinda gory...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I think this says it all.

"Were going to face this thing head on" Yea ok, that's smart fly right toward the volcano enjoy your engines flaming out from the ash. 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I think this says it all.

"Were going to face this thing head on" Yea ok, that's smart fly right toward the volcano enjoy your engines flaming out from the ash. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v = bhL3GQGfL14

Writer: "Despite what people say, our movie's definitely not based off of British Airlines Flight 9..." *Writer Laughs Nervously*

"It's also not based off of KLM Flight 867" *Laughs Again*

that's smart fly right toward the volcano enjoy your engines flaming out from the ash.

and not all volcanoes produce anti-aircraft ash! Gawd, the movies I've seen with impossible volcanoes in them.... ;)

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Yep....bugs me too. If I see an aircraft advertised in a movie I will most likely either not watch it or just watch it and sit their in amazement at how incorrect everything is. The best (worst) thing is when they show a 747 external and then switch to the internal and its a single aisle cabin....

Its something movie producers should pay great attention to, as imperfections such as this really ruins a movie for me.

Even worse is when their aircraft changes through the movie from one shot to another like it's dimention-shifting vehicle with no object permanence. Red Eye (2005) was such a movie. 

United 93 (Paul Greengrass shakes a handheld cam around in a 757 fuselage while actors improvise) was my favourite "Aircraft" movie from a technical standpoint. Not many errors at all, maybe one A320 that may or may not be pretending to be a 757, and LCD screens in the 757 cockpit (CRT's are bad for cameras) but the rest was pretty accurate.

Eh. Movie and tv studios only care about profits and making the movie interesting to most people. That and most people don't know the difference between an APU and their butt so why take the time to make sure it's correct?

If the actual topic of your movie is an aircraft... either "Don't deal" with the irrelevant bits, or if they aren't irrelevant, get them right.

Even from a story telling point of view, object permanence is important. If your characters get on a 737-800 to go somewhere, and then a 757-200 encounters turbulence in the next shot, it's confusing. Are these the same people?

I was watching that movie last night and I was wondering that my self. To me it look also like a MD80 cockpit, but in one of the shots it look like it has vertical displays like the one found in Embraer cockpits.

Also, it is possible to fly inverted with a small commercial airplane?

MD80/90 with CRJ winglets, an MD80 throttle, MCP, overhead and yoke. an Embraier PFD/Nav display with 737NG Artificial Horizon/Altimeter/Speed/Flight Director display.

The first 707 prototype did an unauthorized aileron roll in full view of the Boeing management.

Steve

Camera on board looking out the side window too.

The only aircraft that will be 'difficult' to fly upside-down is an Airbus (318, 319, 320, 321, 330, 340, 380, 350) which will limit you to 66 degrees of bank with the FBW in Normal mode.

If done right, you'll have positave G right through the roll.

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine!

One of my very good friends just left for New York to study Film (he wants to be a director) and I warned him that if he makes a movie with planes in it that factually wrong, there would be hell to pay!

Not many errors at all, maybe one A320 that may or may not be pretending to be a 757, and LCD screens in the 757 cockpit (CRT's are bad for cameras) but the rest was pretty accurate.

That I understand since the cameras could be damaged by the screens, but silly things like an outside view of a Lockheed Tristar and then another outside view of a 747 and then a view of the cabin of a small Boeing I can't understand. Is it really that hard to just rent/charter a plane for a day or two? It's not like movies don't make money...

Just my thoughts, nothing more. The whole can't-do-it-because-it-hurts-the-cameras thing is fine with me, but at least TRY to use the same plane. And if you can't use the same exact plane, that's OK too, as long as it's the same type of plane.