Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

PREVIEW: X-Plane 10 HD Mesh Scenery v3 (region: European Alps)

Just to shorten the long wait until the release, I have again a "few" (76 to be correct) PREVIEW screenshots taken around the European Alps (Northern Italy, Western Austria, parts of Switzerland and a tiny bit of Southern Germany). These pictures are already very close to the final release (for example they should show some decent improvements in forest representation etc.), and are only missing latest OSM data.

c4_28.jpg

c4_34.jpg

Typhoon_22.jpg

Typhoon_44.jpg

Typhoon_4.jpg

Typhoon_17.jpg

Typhoon_77.jpg

Typhoon_35.jpg

You can see all 76 screenshots here:

By the way, the current status is: OSM import has been finished (it should definitely contain all data added until 10th of October), phase 1 of OSM filtering and preparation has been finished, at the moment the data is translated to be used in the scenery generator, and in a few days the final (but lengthy - many weeks!) phase of scenery file generation will start.

Awesome! Really impressive as always and looking forward to the release!

A note of thanks for all your hard work, and looking forward to the many changes I and friends did in OSM with the expectation to see it materialise in Ver3.

Danny Hicks

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for such a great contribution to the X-Plane community.  Count on my donation.

Jim Morgan

Just yummy.

When can I fly there ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I'm always intrigued how you get such thick forest coverage. Even at high settings, all I ever seem to manage is a smattering of flat trees, not nice bushy ones as seen in your preview. What's your secret?

I'm always intrigued how you get such thick forest coverage. Even at high settings, all I ever seem to manage is a smattering of flat trees, not nice bushy ones as seen in your preview. What's your secret?

My secret is: read my HD Mesh Scenery website to its bottom (its there since a few years) B) : http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/#Extras

Alpilotx beat me to it... :lol:

I almost forgot, great work there Andras! This should look stunning with simheaven scenery.

Wow this makes payware from the "other side" pale into comparison (no names but O**x may be a clue). Great work Andras!

Impressive!

Will this scenery consume even higher system resources than the V2 scenery?  (especially when the visibility limit eventually gets extended?

Yes, it will definitely consume a bit more resources than v2, as the mesh resolution is getting upped a bit - again. And other data additions (like any new stuff from OSM) adds a bit too. But I wouldn't expect a massive deterioration (rather only - possibly - a slight one ... if at all).

But the visibility range is an entirely different story ... that will just "plain" - almost - double your RAM footprint. So, watch your current RAM consumption and the multiply by x2 to see what you might need with extended visibility (BUT, that will be optional from Laminar ... and quite likely disabled by default to play it safe). And as far as my observations are going: HD Mesh is not even the biggest potential RAM consumer ... world2xplane seemed to be even a bit more heavy (so, the two in combination in a densely populated region with lots of fancy landscape details might need up to 32 GB RAM with extended visibility ... or a good / fast swap file).

What about LOD, could that help? I know you've mentioned in the past the X-Plane terrain rendering has limitations, but could this be re-engineered? That level of detail seems like overkill at FL410, to go from the current vaseline horizon to rendering absolutely everything for 100 miles around is going from one extreme to another. Hopefully LR tech know-how will find a sensible compromise.