Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

PREVIEW: X-Plane 10 HD Mesh Scenery v3 (region: European Alps)

What about LOD, could that help? I know you've mentioned in the past the X-Plane terrain rendering has limitations, but could this be re-engineered? That level of detail seems like overkill at FL410, to go from the current vaseline horizon to rendering absolutely everything for 100 miles around is going from one extreme to another. Hopefully LR tech know-how will find a sensible compromise.

Well, X-Plane definitely does not (and will not with extended visibility) render everything. So, it usually already does apply LOD techniques to everything added on top of the mesh ... like all the roads, autogens, forests ... They all are "removed" at some point (I think, depending on your rendering settings ... especially "world detail distance"!) even today. The only thing which is rendered at the distance is the mesh with its textures (and eve there, the necessary overlapping triangle / overdraw is removed at some distance). But this latter alone is usually not the big performance consumer ... Thats why the "extended visibility" will work without big FPS on better hardware as long as you have enough RAM to keep the necessary scenery tiles in memory.

Awaiting Canada V3.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

That is what we were waiting for.

Looks very natural and after photo scenery from Simheaven, this makes me come back to generic textures again.

Great job Andras !!!  

But there is some strange texture square on picture No.54 (of 76), looks like photo of the airport pasted in the middle of a field. Can you remove that in the scenery?

But there is some strange texture square on picture No.54 (of 76), looks like photo of the airport pasted in the middle of a field. Can you remove that in the scenery?

Yes Andaras when your finished painstakingly remodeling the entire planet with textures :wacko:  can you fetch me a coffee please,  white, 2 sugar and some nice cake, chop chop   :lol:

LOL ... no, that is NOT part of the HD Mesh Scenery v3, but instead is a simple add-on airport (should be LOWZ, a place I love in real life: http://www.x-plane.at/drupal/node/287 )with a small, local phototexture in it (which you see as the square photo) ... And of course, in X-Plane you can add / change /remove any scenery to your liking B) .

Yes Andaras when your finished painstakingly remodeling the entire planet with textures :wacko:  can you fetch me a coffee please,  white, 2 sugar and some nice cake, chop chop   :lol:

You might have the coffee :Cuppa: , but I will keep the cake to myself ...

@alpilotx 

LOWZ  looks awesome,  BTW there is a LOWZ airport , downloading it now. 

http://www.x-plane.at/drupal/node/288

--> thats where my link went too (interestingly there seem to be two different links to the same resource - strange)

And yes, LOWZ is a fantastic place to be .. have been there skiing many many times (thats why its an important reference point when I test scenery):

--> thats where my link went too (interestingly there seem to be two different links to the same resource - strange)

And yes, LOWZ is a fantastic place to be .. have been there skiing many many times (thats why its an important reference point when I test scenery):

I think there are two scenery packs XP9 and XPX.

Whoo those snaps are stunning.

Cessna_172_SP_2.png

@alpilotx.

It looks so good in XPX too. I am wondering what it would be in HD v3.

November.

Thanks for the hard work and dedication for V3 but is there a list of differences between V2 and V3. Maybe its mentioned somewhere and i missed to read it...

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Thanks for the hard work and dedication for V3 but is there a list of differences between V2 and V3. Maybe its mentioned somewhere and i missed to read it...

Apart from newer data and a new data source for Canada, I think Andras also mentioned it was slightly higher definition than v2, and also has bug fixes :smile:

A lot of the fixes / improvements can be seen in the current "Known issues" list:

Add to this (as Tony mentioned):

• fresh OSM data (beginning of October 2014 ... v2 had data from end of September 2013) - for many, this alone could be reason enough to update ...
  • some landclass improvements (especially in Europe)
  • improved forest algorithms (better representation of the underlying raw landclass data)
  • replaced OSM water data in Canada with government data (because too much is missing in OSM in Canada)
  • further increased resolution of the mesh

Looks awesome but underscores the major reason why I haven't switched; 90% of everything made for XPX is for Europe.   Until the North American continent can get the same kind of love and attention to detail from the mesh, to textures and to airports having buildings it's a game breaker.

I know there is some mesh available for the US but it is wholly inadequate and the OSM is in bad need of love.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy